Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

10 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

praise my toddler for not crapping his pants, and am delighted when it goes to plan, but I wouldn’t say he’s “good” at using the toilet.

I'm the same with the wife

• Haha 1

It may well have been mentioned already, but I think the reason that Emery chose Olsen against Spurs was down to the intricate training exercises that he has been carrying out in the weeks that Martinez was away from the group.

Playing out from the back was a finely detailed and potentially high risk jigsaw of moving pieces, which could have broken down with Martinez not being up to speed with the previous six weeks training.

The well operated 'six at the back' when Spurs had the ball may have had Emi scratching his head due to his World Cup absence. Emery is turning us into a cohesive team with each player assigned his specific part in the team and the training pitch is the classroom. Martinez is good and will catch up quickly.

• Like 4

I was feeling a bit down beat, on the back up keeper, but I feel much more confident, after watching that performance.

His aerial catches, was a joy to watch.

That must have saved us some money.

so we have the Argentina and Sweden national keepers, bodes well.

However, I will never forget Jed in that semi final playoff.

Once again, well done Robin.

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

Didn’t he pull off a great stop diving at Kane’s feet? I am sure I remember this but haven’t seen anyone else mention it.

The only instance i can think of was , son over hit his pass that went closer to the keeper than to kane, like 99% of all keepers in the world, he being closest to the ball dropped on it.

He made 1 save which was floating in the air from a freekick which went directly to him with no one challenging.

He claimed 3 or 4 crosses, all basic stuff for a keeper not stuck on his line, his distribution got better throughout the game apart from when kane nearly took it from him as he dithered.

As I say, records will show a clean sheet, so high fives all round, but he didn't make 1 crucial save, all thanks to the exceptional work rate of the players in front of him rather than him making any meaningful saves.

He did really well, credit where it's due, always. But can we not fall foul of the short-termism that we often succumb to, as we have also seen him play very badly.

I would say there are signs that he is improving as a #2 with time, but he is not young, so there is no reason to just believe that this improvement will be linear and that he will continue to play like he did yesterday.

I have seen enough of him to think that, so long as there is even a shred of doubt about Emi's long-term future, we should be looking to sign another goalkeeper. Not as a top priority, but somewhere in the mix. Hopefully we're keeping an eye out for opportunities that we might not have anticipated.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, est1874 said:

He did really well, credit where it's due, always. But can we not fall foul of the short-termism that we often succumb to, as we have also seen him play very badly.

I would say there are signs that he is improving as a #2 with time, but he is not young, so there is no reason to just believe that this improvement will be linear and that he will continue to play like he did yesterday.

I have seen enough of him to think that, so long as there is even a shred of doubt about Emi's long-term future, we should be looking to sign another goalkeeper. Not as a top priority, but somewhere in the mix. Hopefully we're keeping an eye out for opportunities that we might not have anticipated.

I assume we will still be trying to find a good deal for a #2 but probably in the summer. Emi doesn't have a long injury history (though one injury could change that) and I wouldn't rate it highly on the priority list. 

Presumably, Emi won't miss time until the 2024 Copa America so I'd expect something in the summer but not much earlier and not a super high priority.

Â