Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

3 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Good man management from Unai to pick him again even after Emi arrived. 

Olsen took the reps with the squad and while it’s not his forte, looked better coming out and claiming (despite some sketchy claims in the first half). 

Better to believe in him and keep him ready to come in than to trash him and bring in a drunken Emi. 

Great post. Emery is trying to get value out of his players: Olsen’s confidence goes up due to today’s result (Emery even namechecked him in the post- match comments), his value goes up a bit, squad cohesion increases. If he was poor, Emery has learned something else about the squad. 

9 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Did well but shows how compact we were as a team today thar he barely had a save to make 

What he had to do he did well though. Closed down that player who got free and forced him wide. Caught a lot of stuff and didn't flap. 

He was probably under huge pressure and smarting from some of the criticism, can't underestimate how that can undermine a players confidence. 

• Like 2

Was thinking about Olsen. Obviously he has had a tough time whenever he played but you can’t have 60 international caps for Sweden and been signed for Roma if you’re completely useless. He’s confidence must have been shot to bits so imagine being dropped for the Number 1 that isn’t fit. That would have ended any confidence he had left.  

Emery kept faith with him and he rewarded that faith with a very assured display.  Well done all round. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Good man management from Unai to pick him again even after Emi arrived. 

Olsen took the reps with the squad and while it’s not his forte, looked better coming out and claiming (despite some sketchy claims in the first half). 

Better to believe in him and keep him ready to come in than to trash him and bring in a drunken Emi. 

Many fans wanted this. 

He did fine. He's been appalling for us but he's obviously a good keeper based on his career. Probably just rock bottom on confidence which matters more for a keeper than any other position.

Glad he got a good game under his belt. I expect he'll play against Stevenage but Martinez will be back for the league from now on

• Like 1

Kept a clean sheet, had 1 soft save to make, still dithered. At least for once he came off his line which is how he was able to make simple catches he should have made in his previous 4 competitive games.

He isn't suddenly a reliable keeper, he just had nothing difficult to do all game thanks to our outfield players

Conceding 14 in his last 4 games, pretty much every shot on target went in, today out of the 2 shots on target, no where near the konsa header( kanes header was off target but it then hit konsas head) was saved by young, and the other effort was a head hight floaty free kick directly to him with no one near him.

I'm pleased he gets the clean sheet but he was the least responsible for it, the rest of the team earned it for him.

I think the choice of Olsen, was the Hallmark of a good manager.

sure, its easy to say that, after we have won.

but I think as much, was aimed at Emi, Like....ok the fun is over, get yourself in shape, now.

No one denies Emi his celebrations, but a time has to come, when its over....I think Unai, was simply reminding him.

subtle, but decisive management.

• Like 1

I think the choice of Olsen, was the Hallmark of a good manager.

sure, its easy to say that, after we have won.

but I think as much, was aimed at Emi, Like....ok the fun is over, get yourself in shape, now.

No one denies Emi his celebrations, but a time has to come, when its over....I think Unai, was simply reminding him.

subtle, but decisive management.

2 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Kept a clean sheet, had 1 soft save to make, still dithered. At least for once he came off his line which is how he was able to make simple catches he should have made in his previous 4 competitive games.

He isn't suddenly a reliable keeper, he just had nothing difficult to do all game thanks to our outfield players

Conceding 14 in his last 4 games, pretty much every shot on target went in, today out of the 2 shots on target, no where near the konsa header( kanes header was off target but it then hit konsas head) was saved by young, and the other effort was a head hight floaty free kick directly to him with no one near him.

I'm pleased he gets the clean sheet but he was the least responsible for it, the rest of the team earned it for him.

Way to take away the man’s credit 😂 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Didn’t he pull off a great stop diving at Kane’s feet? I am sure I remember this but haven’t seen anyone else mention it.

• Like 1

Going on Emery’s comments of “Emi will train with us tomorrow and Tuesday but this showed we can really trust Robin” I wouldn’t be surprised if he starts v Wolves. Then the FA Cup break and after that I’d expect Emi to be back in. 

Look, he didn't drop a clanger and he looked to grow in confidence as the 90 wore on. I still think he's not a good goalkeeper though, I think we can do better as a replacement but if he plays like he did at spurs and he keeps having that level of protection from his teammates it's not the end of the world. 

It's not like he's only been bad for us, at Roma he was an accident waiting to happen nearly every time he played.

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Look, he didn't drop a clanger and he looked to grow in confidence as the 90 wore on. I still think he's not a good goalkeeper though

I don’t think anyone is really arguing that he is, are they?

2 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Maybe the cognitive dissonance of seeing praise for him made me think people were? 😉

I praise my toddler for not crapping his pants, and am delighted when it goes to plan, but I wouldn’t say he’s “good” at using the toilet.

We can all think Olsen isn’t good enough in the PL without pretending he didn’t have a good game vs Spurs.

Edited by Adam2003
  • Haha 2

Â