Lucas Digne

villan-scott

3 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Not really.  Targett was woeful for us.  Digne has continued that trait. Maybe its not the players' faults... 

Player of the season last season. Has more goals and assists this season than his 25 million replacement who is trying to assault the opposition full backs with his "crossing" 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Player of the season last season. Has more goals and assists this season than his 25 million replacement who is trying to assault the opposition full backs with his "crossing" 

Last season yes, with no fans.  The second he played in front of a crowd he reverted to type this season. 

Edit: 1 more goal in 6 more appearances this season is hardly something to celebrate.

Edited by MrBlack

I find it bizarre that people think the difference with Targett is having fans in the ground, rather than last season having the benefit of one of the best players in the league ahead of him, and this season having an ineffective replacement (under Smith) and then absolutely nobody under Gerrard.

• Like 4

I think people need to remember the last few times Targett has played against Watford and what Sarr did to him. I didn't feel any of that danger today except on the break for there goal where Digne had to cover three runners at once.

There is a bit of Digne's play which is odd though. He never goes round the outside of a defender to get a cross in...always from deeper. I thought he was more mobile/attacking than that.

31 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I find it bizarre that people think the difference with Targett is having fans in the ground, rather than last season having the benefit of one of the best players in the league ahead of him, and this season having an ineffective replacement (under Smith) and then absolutely nobody under Gerrard.

Grealish was great for his forward play, but didn't offer particularly great cover defensively.

Targett had been poor across the board this season so just like it probably isn't just crowds, it also isn't just about missing Grealish.

I should clarify,  I agree with the sentiment that Digne hasn't been great.   But Targett would definitely not have been any better.

11 hours ago, MellbergsBeard said:

I think that says more about our fans to be honest 

True.  He is clearly a confidence player, and no fans allowed him to find that confidence without the boo or groans that would have come along the way. The fact he can't cope with them is not anything to be ashamed of, but it is something footballers need to be able to handle. If losing Grealish and being booed  results in the performances we saw this season then i feel he needs replacing.

Let's see how he fares at Newcastle after his first bad performance and/if when the fans turn on him.

Digne seems to me to be a better player than Targett, but is being shafted by the system that is asking him to do too much. He's half exhausted most of the time, so no surprise his crosses aren't up to his usual standard.

I expect to see more from Digne (as in his first two games when the rest of the team seemed fitter and better able to cope with what was being asked of them), when the rest of the team start doing their jobs. Or when we change formation.

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

True.  He is clearly a confidence player, and no fans allowed him to find that confidence without the boo or groans that would have come along the way. The fact he can't cope with them is not anything to be ashamed of, but it is something footballers need to be able to handle. If losing Grealish and being booed  results in the performances we saw this season then i feel he needs replacing.

Let's see how he fares at Newcastle after his first bad performance and/if when the fans turn on him.

Digne seems to me to be a better player than Targett, but is being shafted by the system that is asking him to do too much. He's half exhausted most of the time, so no surprise his crosses aren't up to his usual standard.

I expect to see more from Digne (as in his first two games when the rest of the team seemed fitter and better able to cope with what was being asked of them), when the rest of the team start doing their jobs. Or when we change formation.

This is funny considering we apparently shipped out Targett because he isn't suited for our system. So we brought in a guy who can't work in our system either.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

This is funny considering we apparently shipped out Targett because he isn't suited for our system. So we brought in a guy who can't work in our system either.

I’m starting to get the impression that 95% of the fullbacks in the prem would struggle in our system. 

• Like 1

He's clearly a good player, and like the rest of the team is just struggling a bit at the moment. I do question the wisdom though of spending £25m on an upgrade on Targett, when if that money had been put towards Bissouma, the difference it would have made to the team would probably have been much greater.

10 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Isn't a fullback in world football that could succeed in this setup. 

Â