Lucas Digne

villan-scott

8 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Has two good games and everyone says he's and upgrade.

Has one bad game and now he's not an upgrade.

I personally always thought Targett was good but he’s the sort of guy who needs an arm around him which Gerrard obviously didn’t want to do. Digne should turn out to be an upgrade overall but I don’t think it’s as much of a step up in quality as some people may believe 

Edited by david-avfc
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think he had a bad game in particular. The whole team was poor.

defensively he was fine but going forward he was dreadful. He was pretty much assaulting the first defender with his crossing

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yes but he didnt reject staying there, he was forced out. If anything he would not have left Everton if Rafa was not the manager

Yeah, I'm saying it was sour grapes from Everton with them saying 'He's crap' considering the circumstances of his leaving, I'd take anything Everton fans say about him with a pinch of salt.

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

It must be so hard for a full back to perform all his duties in a back 4 plus provide almost all the width in attack.  I'm not surprised Cash, Targett and Digne have found it tough.  They are all very good PL full backs imo.

Bang on.

Thats my whole concern about attacking full backs providing the width. They are expected to marshal the wide areas to stop attacks, stop crosses, win tackles, beat a full back and put crosses in. 

Very few players can do all that at this level. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hippo said:

Bang on.

Thats my whole concern about attacking full backs providing the width. They are expected to marshal the wide areas to stop attacks, stop crosses, win tackles, beat a full back and put crosses in. 

Very few players can do all that at this level. 

Yes, and still this has been the major trend in top football for years now. Almost every team now demand fullbacks ”bomb forward” while other positions have to sweep up and cover defensively.

I guess Burnley are still an exception though.

10 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Yes, and still this has been the major trend in top football for years now. Almost every team now demand fullbacks ”bomb forward” while other positions have to sweep up and cover defensively.

I guess Burnley are still an exception though.

Yes but bombing forward TAA and Robertson still have Salah and Mane on that side for support. Cancelo still has Sterling or Mahrez

Digne and Cash are alone

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They are supposed to be in side though to leave the flanks free for the full backs

They do, but they still drift out wide when the ball is at either side to link up with the full backs, or at least they should.  Salah and Mane both cut in towards goal on their stronger foot.

• Like 1

While his last game in my view he was really not good, he isn't helped, nor the team, by Ramseys decision making.

Every game so far the ball is played to Ramsey, digne provides an overlap, Ramsey checks and then plays it back to mings. 

I cant recall more than 2 or 3 times he has used digne in these situations.

That means he is out of position and then having to come back, which also means when mings receives the pass from ramsey he does 1 of 2 things, pass sideways to the other cb or hit it long down the line, digne is facing the wrong way and moving in the wrong direction for the mings long ball. We lose possession and put ourselves under unnecessary pressure.

Ramsey did it with target too.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Has two good games and everyone says he's and upgrade.

Has one bad game and now he's not an upgrade.

Digne for me has been excellent. The whole team was poor on sunday so this for me does not reflect on digne.

I think he looks really good personally 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

this thread lol.

If anyone has actually watched Digne so far for Villa, and cant see how much more mobile, athletic and threatening Digne looks than Targett, i'm not sure what to say to you.

Yep. It’s actually embarrassing. Every player has an off day. Digne is a huge asset and upgrade on Targett - a man who went crying on TalkSport that he’s got competition. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Yep. It’s actually embarrassing. Every player has an off day. Digne is a huge asset and upgrade on Targett - a man who went crying on TalkSport that he’s got competition. 

did he??

Â