Lucas Digne

villan-scott

On 13/03/2022 at 16:30, HongKongVillan said:

A bit of  a **** up to loan out Targett, I know hindsight is great.

Hope its not too serious

sounds to me (Targett) like he didn't want to stay and we had no option ....and Newcastle, just covered their options by loaning him as opposed to buying him, seems they was unsure of the long term possibilties.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Of course we had an option, we shouldn’t have let Targett go regardless of if he’d rather not be on the bench for 4 months. He’s under contract so tough shit. And that’s not hindsight either. It was obviously an awful decision at the time and stated as much.

As would selling him permanently for £15m.

Not convinced by Digne at all tbh 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Of course we had an option, we shouldn’t have let Targett go regardless of if he’d rather not be on the bench for 4 months. He’s under contract so tough shit. And that’s not hindsight either. It was obviously an awful decision at the time and stated as much.

Or we thought that young and chisene offer enough cover so took the money while we could... 

We'll see in the summer if we do or don't buy another LB

If we were doing something in the league this year and this injury and the decision to let Targett go had a ramification that actually meant something then fair enough but come the end of the year if we finish 8th or 13th it won't be because Digne got injured and Targett wasn't there as cover 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Or we thought that young and chisene offer enough cover so took the money while we could... 

We'll see in the summer if we do or don't buy another LB

If we were doing something in the league this year and this injury and the decision to let Targett go had a ramification that actually meant something then fair enough but come the end of the year if we finish 8th or 13th it won't be because Digne got injured and Targett wasn't there as cover 

The relatively negligible amount for 4 months wages of an average salary plus possibly a small loan fee? We really need that money?

And Digne’s injury won’t make a 5 place difference no but it will have some impact, just like Targett is having some positive effect for Newcastle and that also shouldn’t have been allowed without an inflated transfer fee.

Just hope Chrisene gets some game time now, only silver lining.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

We’re probably already prepared to sell now but I can’t see why the price wouldn’t be £25m

Yeah I think we paid £17m - since then he has gained PL experience and there was talk of an England call up. POTY as well.

To sell him for £15m would be daft business in the extreme. 

• Like 1

Just now, hippo said:

Yeah I think we paid £17m - since then he has gained PL experience and there was talk of an England call up. POTY as well.

To sell him for £15m would be daft business in the extreme. 

I'd guess that we will sell him at a lower transfer fee than what people want because the loan fee which we'll never know will be high 

The overall package will be alright for us 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'd guess that we will sell him at a lower transfer fee than what people want because the loan fee which we'll never know will be high 

The overall package will be alright for us 

Good point, I hope we took them for £5m, if they stayed up. 

On 13/03/2022 at 16:30, HongKongVillan said:

A bit of  a **** up to loan out Targett, I know hindsight is great.

Hope its not too serious

It didn't need hindsight.  This was called out by virtually everyone at the time of the loan out. With no obligation to buy,  there was zero sense in letting the loan happen. We gain a minimal amount of cash, lose cover, and strengthen an opposition that could otherwise have been in real trouble.

To be fair to the owners,  it is the only decision I've been truly disappointed with since they came in, but they have enough credit with me so maybe there is another angle to it that I've missed. 

Hopefully Digne isn't out too long or our youth alternative turns out to be a wonder kid! Otherwise our owners better be happy with a bottom half finish.

Edited by MrBlack

13 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Bloody hell. West Ham are a dirtier team than I thought.

And their fans whinged about our players feigning injury.  Doubly laughable considering how long their players spent on the deck.

49 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

And their fans whinged about our players feigning injury.  Doubly laughable considering how long their players spent on the deck.

Yeah, I thought they were a really odd mix of very physical (nothing too dirty, but making sure they made contact.  That forearm from someone, the elbow/arm from Dawson etc) but then also just rolling around on the floor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Bloody hell. West Ham are a dirtier team than I thought.

Robust, combatitive, competitive........Dirty, not so sure......in such cases you have to give it back, meet fire with fire.

Problem is, our squad is not designed for such activity and gets easily negated by it.

by design, I mean having a few players, who relish the battle to bring in for certain games.....a young Jedinak, for example.

Â