Yves Bissouma

Corleone

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Still kinda pissed we seemed more interested in this guy over Bentancur who was evidently very gettable.

Benancur isnt the type of cm we need. Not saying he isnt a good player but he isnt a dynamic dm that we need

6 hours ago, tomav84 said:

a few brighton fans pre game yesterday mentioned he only performs when the cameras are on him. his performance yesterday backed up that claim. must be better CDMs out there

were linked with romeu at saints at one point and he's had a good season. surely a cheaper option

Yeah Romeu is a bit like Nakamba I guess. Neutrals find him a boring player but generally Southampton's results always pick up when he's fit and starting and his presence allows likes of JWP to press higher.

That sort of type of midfield would suit us and certainly wouldn't cost even 20m.

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Bentancur chose Spurs so not very gettable.

He was basically being shopped out by Juventus. They rejected our low-ball bid. If even Spurs come into the picture like "ehh why not?" and buy the player, that player was definitely gettable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

He was basically being shopped out by Juventus. They rejected our low-ball bid. If even Spurs come into the picture like "ehh why not?" and buy the player, that player was definitely gettable.

No. We were in the mix, then Spurs joined in with similar numbers being talked about and suddenly it’s “Villa have pulled out of the race” and player joins Spurs. He chose them. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

No. We were in the mix, then Spurs joined in with similar numbers being talked about and suddenly it’s “Villa have pulled out of the race” and player joins Spurs. He chose them. 

Spurs ended up paying considerably more than we bid. They had a price. If we were serious and paid it, he'd be our player.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

He didn’t chose them over us.  That may have ended up being the case if we had sufficiently bid enough but we didn’t, so we’ll never know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

He didn’t chose them over us.  That may have ended up being the case if we had sufficiently bid enough but we didn’t, so we’ll never know.

It was reported he ”chose” Spurs:

https://insidefutbol.com/2022/01/29/rodrigo-bentancur-picks-tottenham-over-aston-villa-spurs-also-close-in-on-team-mate/546842/.

I Juventus really wanted to make the double deal with Spurs and their friend there Paratici. Juventus wanted cash to get Vlahovic and Boca had a sell-on clause for Bentancur. By selling two players to Spurs at once, they could report a higher fee for Kulusevski and a lower for Bentancur, and send less money along to Boca, as long as the total sum added up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

https://insidefutbol.com/2022/01/29/rodrigo-bentancur-picks-tottenham-over-aston-villa-spurs-also-close-in-on-team-mate/546842/.

I Juventus really wanted to make the double deal with Spurs and their friend there Paratici. Juventus wanted cash to get Vlahovic and Boca had a sell-on clause for Bentancur. By selling two players to Spurs at once, they could report a higher fee for Kulusevski and a lower for Bentancur, and send less money along to Boca, as long as the total sum added up.

Personally think we were always after Bissouma and Bentancur was the back up, it dragged on but Brighton and the club were too far apart on his price.

Hopefully get him in the summer.

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

I don’t think so.  How much did they get him for in the end? €20m? Which is pretty much what we had reportedly bid.  He chose to go there.  

And why would that be so hard to believe in any case?  It’s much more likely that he chose them over us, than us not increasing our offer by a couple of million.

• Like 1

He's a decent player but I've never been blown away by Bissouma. Yes he wasn't all that on Saturday but it simply be him having an on off day. For 50m though I'd want players that do not have off days whenever I see Villa play them.

3 hours ago, Thug said:

I don’t think so.  How much did they get him for in the end? €20m? Which is pretty much what we had reportedly bid.  He chose to go there.  

And why would that be so hard to believe in any case?  It’s much more likely that he chose them over us, than us not increasing our offer by a couple of million.

Why would it be much more likely that he chose them over us? I can very much imagine us not increasing our offer by a couple of million and trying to play hardball. I find both outcomes very feasible. I am leaning on to the we didn't want to pay scenario. If I remember correctly, the reports were that Juventus rejected us not Bentancur.

The fact that tottenham paid roughly the same amount that we apparently bid for him isn't that relevant. Remember Arsenal were willing to bid more for Buendia than we were in the Summer, but Norwich still thought our offer was more appealing. Nothing to do with Buendia rejecting Arsenal. It could also just be that Juventus tried to play ours and Tottenhams interest against each other to increase both our offers, and then when we withdrew our interest there were simply forced to accept the Tottenham offer despite it not being as high as they wanted.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Why would it be much more likely that he chose them over us? I can very much imagine us not increasing our offer by a couple of million and trying to play hardball. I find both outcomes very feasible. I am leaning on to the we didn't want to pay scenario. If I remember correctly, the reports were that Juventus rejected us not Bentancur.

The fact that tottenham paid roughly the same amount that we apparently bid for him isn't that relevant. Remember Arsenal were willing to bid more for Buendia than we were in the Summer, but Norwich still thought our offer was more appealing. Nothing to do with Buendia rejecting Arsenal. It could also just be that Juventus tried to play ours and Tottenhams interest against each other to increase both our offers, and then when we withdrew our interest there were simply forced to accept the Tottenham offer despite it not being as high as they wanted.

We made a higher bid than spurs if you believe this: https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2022/jan/28/aston-villa-rodrigo-bentancur-bid-turned-down-by-juventus-transfer

They then accepted a lower bid from spurs when there were no other offers.

There is only one scenario where they would accept a lower bid than ours.  That is if the player didn’t want to come here.

As for why? Take off your c&b tinted lenses for 2 minutes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thug said:

We made a higher bid than spurs if you believe this: https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2022/jan/28/aston-villa-rodrigo-bentancur-bid-turned-down-by-juventus-transfer

They then accepted a lower bid from spurs when there were no other offers.

There is only one scenario where they would accept a lower bid than ours.  That is if the player didn’t want to come here.

As for why? Take off your c&b tinted lenses for 2 minutes.

No?

https://theathletic.com/news/tottenham-sign-juventus-midfielder-rodrigo-bentancur/smI55qOyNGAs/

https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/4581886/tottenham-sign-dejan-kulusevskirodrigo-bentancur-from-juventus-in-double-deal

Both of us offered about the same amount in guaranteed money and add ons for him.

I also explained in that same post about how Norwich accepted a lower bid from us for Buendia that had nothing to do with Buendia rejecting Arsenal for us. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp

21 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Well you’ve just made my point then.  We offered the same.. and he went to Spurs.

So he chose spurs over us?  
so you’re agreeing with me??

you said you were leaning on the we didn’t want to pay scenario, and now you’re agreeing that we offered the same as spurs?

Youve changed your mind? Or are you just fully awake now?

Edited by Thug
Double quoted

7 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Shame the reporter forgot to put his name on such an insightful article.

• Thanks 1

Â