Yves Bissouma

Corleone

Kalvin Phillips signs a 5 year contract with Newcastle this summer.. 'It has always been my dream to own six gold plated bentleys and crash them in to each other for fun’.

8 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

FTFY

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Said it before Phillips I dont see the hype, decent ball winner but looked lost at the Euros

Like Bissouma I wouldn't pay more than 20 million for either 

Really? I thought he was amongst our best players at the Euros.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Really? I thought he was amongst our best players at the Euros.

England played 7 at the back any defensive player would look decent even Stones did. Playing for England in midfield you need to be able to dictate the game and its why Italy dominated in midfield in the end

If he goes to United or City or Liverpool he will need to massively improve his ball playing same with Bissouma. These teams can get a player abroad for a fraction of the price 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

England played 7 at the back any defensive player would look decent even Stones did. Playing for England in midfield you need to be able to dictate the game and its why Italy dominated in midfield in the end

If he goes to United or City or Liverpool he will need to massively improve his ball playing same with Bissouma. These teams can get a player abroad for a fraction of the price 

Italy dominated because they are a brilliant side. Not saying we weren't set up defensively, but I thought he was great for the majority of the tournament. He showed Rice up in almost every game. Now Rice...he really struggled for me during the tournament as a whole. I don't think we played to his strengths, and I think he's also a very good player, but next to Phillips he looked indecisive and lacking aggression. 

I also think Phillips is absolutely perfectly suited to compliment this Villa side. I reckon we'd be right up there if we got Phillips. But we won't so it's immaterial I suppose.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Thug said:

Hi, just coming back to this.  I’ve been busy and not had the time to formulate a proper response.

You say he’s a totally different player and role. But where is this information coming from?

Just because some of the people on this board have decided that he’s a no.6 doesn’t make that right.  Check whoscored, and that will tell you that he’s played more than double the number of games as an 8 than as a 6.  When he’s played as a 6, he’s not performed as well.  He’s been more effective as a box-box 8.

His strength is his ability to drive forward with the ball, and get back to break up play. i.e box to box.  This is reflected in his stats with progressive carries, dribbles and also in good tackling and pressures.

Take a look at this video where a Brighton fan gives a breakdown of his best position.  Go to the 4 minute mark.

He basically says he’s not a 6.  He’s an 8.  He can ‘do a job’ as a 6, but only if he has to, and it’s actually wasting his main talents.

Now I’d take the word of a Brighton fan doing an analysis over some villa fans on a forum who insist he’s a 6 based on… well… nothing.

So.. a box to box.  So not at all different role to Sanson. Look at the fbref stats below. Almost identical, which suggests that they fulfil almost an identical role.

So if they play a similar role, then how different are they?  Considering Sanson has been injured, and played a bit part role, his stats are superb.  When I said ‘Sanson is better’ I was being partly tongue in cheek because we didn’t get Bissouma. However, when he’s properly fit and playing, I genuinely believe he’s going to show his real quality.

Hope @TRO  doesn’t read this ;)

• Haha 1

@Thug I rate Sanson very highly. Hope you are right about who ends up being better in the PL.

However Sanson has work to do just for a starting role. Bissouma is on a few radars because he's already Brighton's best.

• Like 2

Â