Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

1 minute ago, sparrow1988 said:

My question is, why didn't he switch it? Look at the right hand side. That is Tsimikas, the LB on the right hand side of the D.

I agree, he just got excited as with the great build up, that goes in and its instantly goal of the season.

11 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

said this a few weeks ago, and i still think its right.

Signing Coutinho is as much about the massive statement that the signing makes, as the current ability of the little magician.

Even is Coutinho is 70% the player he was 3-4 years ago, thats plenty good enough for us imo (right now), but the transfer statement itself is just as important, and if it is made permanent, its an absolutely huge statement of a signing.

Imagine being a young Brazilian talent, early 20's or so and you're about to make a big move to/within Europe and the phone rings - "Alright Vitor (made up name), it's Phil Coutinho. Fancy playing with me for a bit?"

• Shocked 1

27 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

My question is, why didn't he switch it? Look at the right hand side. That is Tsimikas, the LB on the right hand side of the D.

Players don't have the luxury of that elevated vantage point to see space like we do at home. Also, there's the need to make decisions in a split second.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Players don't have the luxury of that elevated vantage point to see space like we do at home. Also, there's the need to make decisions in a split second.

Players like Coutinho see these passes, or at the very least he has noticed how many people are around him and knows that there has to be space somewhere else. He does tend to shoot a bit too often as he is just so good at it but it was the wrong option in this instance.

6 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I feel like Bowery really encapsulates how much player recruitment has changed since. There is no way a signing like that would go through for any PL club nowadays. We genuinely signed a league 2 caliber player and gave him 20 matches, as evidenced by the fact that he could not gain regular game time for any of his next clubs until he dropped all the way back down to league 2. I think the rumour was that Lambert was friends with his father? 

Tonev was another one. I wouldn't have been surprised if we signed him purely on the basis of Petrov's account who had 0 actual credibility as a scout himself. And this is only a couple years ago. In the past there are various stories of even big clubs signing players based purely on the good word of someone else, who may not even have worked for the club. The lack of due diligence that some signings have clearly been made with is utterly astounding.

Its one of the  reasons why its been such a long road back, to respectability.

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

He's a very talented player.

But to your point about people forgetting the last 10+ years, I think people forget our club's history from before that if I'm honest.

We have a history of overpaying for players whose best years are behind them based on reputation or past form, and it's rarely worked out for us. For every Merson there was a Ginola and a Carbone and a Collymore, etc etc.

I'm not saying he won't be successful for us but I'm concerned that a) his form has dropped off a lot since his first few games, and b) his inclusion is almost always at the expense of Emi Buendia, who deserves to be playing.

I'm sorry but Carbone wasn't a flop as he was only a loan we never actually bought him and he was brilliant when he was here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

Carragher on commentary said if coutinho was signed permanently, how would it work when we already have Buendia. This is the mindset and perception of a club we need to move away from if we are to improve in the league. Liverpool are quite happy to have 5 forwards rotating, like Salah not playing the other night. Grealish barely ever starts for man city but he seems happy.

Agree with this sentiment, what club outside of the top 4 wouldn’t want the option of Phil or emi either starting together or one coming of the bench after 65 minutes to replace the other. Let lack of drop in quality when making subs has never been available to a manger before at Villa that I can remember. It’s always been first 11 then a bit of a drop of a cliff in terms of quality. 

add into the mix Bailey, carney and Bert you can start to see a squad being developed and yes we might swap out say Bert for an upgrade but it’s like night and day compared to 3/4 years ago 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

He should have crossed it but my guess - just a hunch - is he fancied himself to score a screamer. He will often make that choice, he shoots a lot and always has.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, turvontour said:

Carragher on commentary said if coutinho was signed permanently, how would it work when we already have Buendia. This is the mindset and perception of a club we need to move away from if we are to improve in the league. Liverpool are quite happy to have 5 forwards rotating, like Salah not playing the other night. Grealish barely ever starts for man city but he seems happy.

While I agree with the mindset the issue is Liverpool players probably play 60 games a season 

We will play 41 in total this season 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

While I agree with the mindset the issue is Liverpool players probably play 60 games a season 

Well ye and if we're planning on being knocked out of the cups in the third round and never being in europe then itll stay like that, and keep the depth we've got. Surely we should be putting together a squad that can play 50 plus games, and then that might help us to progress?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yes but we need to build for where we want to be, not where we are now. Surely the short term aim is to have at least a domestically strong enough squad to compete in both cup competitions as well as in the league to a level that finishes high enough to finish in the European places. At which point we’ll need a stronger squad for even more games. We need to start the process now not once we’re in Europe. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, est1874 said:

He's a very talented player.

But to your point about people forgetting the last 10+ years, I think people forget our club's history from before that if I'm honest.

We have a history of overpaying for players whose best years are behind them based on reputation or past form, and it's rarely worked out for us. For every Merson there was a Ginola and a Carbone and a Collymore, etc etc.

I'm not saying he won't be successful for us but I'm concerned that a) his form has dropped off a lot since his first few games, and b) his inclusion is almost always at the expense of Emi Buendia, who deserves to be playing.

I understand the concerns of past transfer disasters, but 1. The are no risk free transfers, secondly and most importantly there is a huge difference in the NSWE owned and run Aston Villa and the Aston Villa in the past. 

Â