Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

Buendia and Bailey were good signings, not our fault Bailey got injured, ings signing I didn't really understand, but at the same time I wouldn't call him a bad signing, as always useful to have a player like him available, and we have to remember that £20m these days isn't a great deal of money for Premier League attacker these days, you don't expect world beaters for those kind of sums anymore, could say the same for what we paid for Buendia and Bailey really.

It's not been the new signings fault they've we had a disappointing season.

Just now, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

The owners are worth £10 billion by the way

FFP doesn't give a toss though mate.

I get your point, my main concern with Coutinho is the money 

However as you say, the owners will know best about their own finances 

1 minute ago, useless said:

Buendia and Bailey were good signings, not our fault Bailey got injured, ings signing I didn't really understand, but at the same time I wouldn't call him a bad signing, as always useful to have a player like him available, and we have to remember that £20m these days isn't a great deal of money for Premier League attacker these days, you don't expect world beaters for those kind of sums anymore, could say the same for what we paid for Buendia and Bailey really.

It's not been the new signings fault they've we had a disappointing season.

Clearly, something has to give. We have 0 formations that can include all of Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey and Ings, and only one (that Gerrard would seemingly consider) that involves 3 of them. Most of the time we only play with 2 of them, plus we start Watkins almost every game. The actual result is that they're all out of form, and only Coutinho plays regularly (still out of form).

If we're going to go out and buy yet more attackers this summer, some of these players are going to have to go.

3 minutes ago, tinker said:

Surrounded him with quality players ........

He did ok there when he played? First 2 seasons they won the league then he went to Bayern and won the ECL. It was probably more of a case that they didn't really need him (like Citeh and Jack).

I'd be interested in seeing the stats and... heat maps..., but it felt like Leicester were consciously keeping the ball coming down our right side, particularly in the first half, both far away from Coutinho and in the zones of some of our weaker passers, in the McGinn/Cash/Konsa triangle, where balls enter and are mysteriously never seen with a Villa player again. Very much the same way teams would try to starve JG of the ball knowing we weren't up to much otherwise.

29 minutes ago, the_eristic said:

I'd be interested in seeing the stats and... heat maps..., but it felt like Leicester were consciously keeping the ball coming down our right side, particularly in the first half, both far away from Coutinho and in the zones of some of our weaker passers, in the McGinn/Cash/Konsa triangle, where balls enter and are mysteriously never seen with a Villa player again. Very much the same way teams would try to starve JG of the ball knowing we weren't up to much otherwise.

a lot of our players would play much better, if the ball magically disappeared.....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

He did ok there when he played? First 2 seasons they won the league then he went to Bayern and won the ECL. It was probably more of a case that they didn't really need him (like Citeh and Jack).

I won't dispute that parts of his game are world class, my point is he's a luxury we can't afford . We need strength in other areas  far more than we need him. We have about 5 players who can play where he's playing and while none of them have his vision they are better at other parts of the game and they won't monopolies our budget either . It's been fun but let's not get to carried away with him. Be interesting to see if he starts the next game after today's performance and Beundia's cameo , will say alot about Gerrard if he does. 

• Like 1

I have come to the conclusion that we would be foolish to sign him for the money and wages Barcelona and Coutinho would want.

He hasn't shown enough consistently, he takes a place in the team instead of players we currently own and will be here long term, and I feel opposition teams are forcing him out of the game tactially.

The guy is supremely talented but has played 13 games since arriving and hasnt done much in 8 of them. Its obvious we have designed a disgraceful system to try get best out of him but sadly he is not worth the cost going forward

I do wonder how great he would be with an intelligent, tactically astute manager in charge

• Like 1

He's Brazil's no.10. But he needs to be in a team of equal talents - he doesn't scrap like Buendia and unless we sign 4 brand new uber talents then I don't see how Coutinho fits- and that's gonna be a massive tragedy for us. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I have come to the conclusion that we would be foolish to sign him for the money and wages Barcelona and Coutinho would want.

He hasn't shown enough consistently, he takes a place in the team instead of players we currently own and will be here long term, and I feel opposition teams are forcing him out of the game tactially.

He's not as good as Jack was for us, nowhere near.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He's not as good as Jack was for us, nowhere near.

Well that’s a tall order to be fair, there is a reason he sold for so much last summer whereas Coutinho went some time ago for his big fee.

It just isn’t working.

4 hours ago, Jareth said:

He's Brazil's no.10. But he needs to be in a team of equal talents - he doesn't scrap like Buendia and unless we sign 4 brand new uber talents then I don't see how Coutinho fits- and that's gonna be a massive tragedy for us. 

I’ve got a feeling we’re going to see him go to a team who can retain the ball better and flourish again. Hopefully not in the PL.

• Like 1

There hasn't been a single game where he has influenced the game through 90 minutes. 

I think he's capable of moments of brilliance we've rarely seen at villa park before but it's also got financial disaster written all over it. 

I'd also be weary of signing him because what happens if Gerrard doesn't work out? He's not here for any other reason. 

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

There hasn't been a single game where he has influenced the game through 90 minutes. 

I think he's capable of moments of brilliance we've rarely seen at villa park before but it's also got financial disaster written all over it. 

I'd also be weary of signing him because what happens if Gerrard doesn't work out? He's not here for any other reason. 

That last part is true, for sure. He also seems to be the kind of player that struggles if he isn’t the main man and with an arm round him. 

Gerrards system is not complimenting alot of our players and coutinho is one of them. I simply dont get the logic of the appointment when we have spent so much money on wingers and attacking pkayers but we dont play to their strengths. Countinho is one of the players this is effecting. There is no doubt about ut in my mind

• Like 2

Â