Premier League relegation battle

useless

9 hours ago, bobzy said:

Don't fall for that myth.

Net spend over the last 2 seasons has Leeds at -£149m and us -£91m.

Now do it for our first 2 years in the PL compared to theirs

And net spend is nicely skewed by us having a £100m player to sell

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rodders said:

There are cases for enjoyment to be made for all of them dropping so not too bothered. Relegating Burnley will make me happy if it happens. 

Relegating burley will be like putting down a 25 year old dog. Zero excitement from ne. Leeds on the other hand.....

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Think it will be Burnley even after there new manager bounce.  They will probably come straight back up  though.

Leveraged buy out.  Aging squad. Parachute payments are getting swallowed up. 

I'd be surprised.

10 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I'd be surprised.

And me, depends on the playoff final and ensuing fallout but I think theres a lot of championship teams with a real buzz around them, Burnley won't be one of them, they're the worst positioned out of the 3 to make a comeback

easy to say it every year but next year should be a good one... Will no doubt be boring now as Norwich and Watford smash it to bits 

If villa let archer go to someone for the season they'll get promoted 

21 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I'd be surprised.

I thought the same with Bournemouth given their big debts and small crowds and yet they have bounced back quite easily. We just made unbelievably hard work of it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Now do it for our first 2 years in the PL compared to theirs

And net spend is nicely skewed by us having a £100m player to sell

Yeah, that’s how net spend works :D 

46 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Hoping we send Leeds down last game of the season although I can’t see Burnley getting anymore points.Everton will have some big problems next season both on and off the field.

Do it for us! We demands it!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

I thought the same with Bournemouth given their big debts and small crowds and yet they have bounced back quite easily. We just made unbelievably hard work of it.

Bournemouth's debt was to their owner so would only be an issue if he decided to sell up or wanted to stop bankrolling them, Burnley's is to an investment company that included a clause which means they have to repay whatever remains of the £65m loan if they get relegated.

Burnley may have less debt than Bournemouth did, but Burnley's is a more immediate danger to the club.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

Ourselves and Newcastle are the last teams to have been relegated but then come back and establish ourselves in the Premier League, and those two relegations were six seasons ago now. Of the other teams relegated since, Huddersfield, Cardiff, Stoke, Swansea, Hull, Middlesbrough, and Sunderland haven't returned, Watford, West Brom, and Fulham have come back up but then relegated again, will have to see what happens with Bournemouth, and Sheffield United if they win the Play-Offs.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Bournemouth's debt was to their owner so would only be an issue if he decided to sell up or wanted to stop bankrolling them, Burnley's is to an investment company that included a clause which means they have to repay whatever remains of the £65m loan if they get relegated.

Burnley may have less debt than Bournemouth did, but Burnley's is a more immediate danger to the club.

Think it was more Eddie Howe being their own Fergie and would be very difficult act to follow. They gave his number 2 the job and quickly learnt from that as for all his faults Scott Parker had managed in the championship and got a team up.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Ourselves and Newcastle are the last teams to have been relegated but then come back and establish ourselves in the Premier League, and those two relegations were six seasons ago now. Of the other teams relegated since, Huddersfield, Cardiff, Stoke, Swansea, Hull, Middlesbrough, and Sunderland haven't returned, Watford, West Brom, and Fulham have come back up but then relegated again, will have to see what happens with Bournemouth, and Sheffield United if they win the Play-Offs.ntford

Brentford could be the next of they stay up next year

1 hour ago, useless said:

Ourselves and Newcastle are the last teams to have been relegated but then come back and establish ourselves in the Premier League, and those two relegations were six seasons ago now. Of the other teams relegated since, Huddersfield, Cardiff, Stoke, Swansea, Hull, Middlesbrough, and Sunderland haven't returned, Watford, West Brom, and Fulham have come back up but then relegated again, will have to see what happens with Bournemouth, and Sheffield United if they win the Play-Offs.

Just shows what it takes. We threw the kitchen sink at it, whilst luckily having a world class player propping us up, and we only stayed up due to a freak world wide pandemic.

What hope have teams with smaller resources got?

I didn't include Brentford as they haven't recently been relegated from the Premier League, but they look to be a good example to follow for teams with less resources. I imagine they will have a very good chance of staying up next season as well.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Brentford havent been relegated though 😉 just like Brighton 

Missed that part of the post 😂

I think brentford will be like leeds this year. Im amazed they actually stayed up ao comfortably this year

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Missed that part of the post 😂

I think brentford will be like leeds this year. Im amazed they actually stayed up ao comfortably this year

They looked like they were entering a relegation battle until Eriksen started playing