Premier League relegation battle

useless

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I've said it before on this forum, this isn't just me being wise after the event, but how on earth did Leeds management - by which I mean the guys above Bielsa - decide to just go along with it in January when he was still doing the whole 'I prefer working with a small squad' thing, when it clearly wasn't working, and they were having to postpone games left right and centre because they didn't have enough players to fill a bench?

Now Ayling is out for the season - looking back to their earlier matches this season, it was either Dallas (out) or the lad Shackleton who played there when Ayling was out, and Shackleton isn't a right back or even very good. Bamford is out, and there's no-one with any experience to replace him up top. They knew Phillips was out for ages in January, but did nothing. 

They let the 'magic' of Bielsa completely obscure their judgement, and frankly they look quite likely to pay the price. I suppose on the other hand, their fans still seem to be completely obsessed with him, and you hear a lot about how he brought the pride back into supporting them or whatever, so I guess if that's the main thing they care about then fair enough. I feel sorry for Marsch though.

Spot on

• Like 1

I think this idea of Bielsa insisting on working with a small squad is a bit of a myth and a convenient excuse for Leeds' owners not to spend, even if there's some truth to it, I've no doubt that Bielsa would have liked to have brought in more players or better players in the summer or in January.

They will be the same in the summer, only way they will significantly strengthen their squad is if they sell players for big money, they've been the same under their current owner even going back to before Bielsa.

Marsch hasn't done great, Before Man City defeat they were actually unbeaten in five, but when you take a closer look it doesn't look so impressive, could only draw with Palace and Southampton, were extremely lucky to beat Norwich, and the win against Wolves was because of some of the most comically bad defending I've ever seen. I think he will probably move on in the summer regardless of whether they stay up or not.

If they go down main fault will be with their board and DOF Victor Orta, no manager wants to go into a season with a central midfield as weak as theirs, or with Patrick Bamford their only centre forward.

I think another thing that may well have caught them out is them overrating their U23s after they comfortably won the U23 league last season, the problem with that is that they were playing older players than most other teams and would often use two or three first team players, so them doing as well as they did wasn't really a true reflection of how good they were or any kind of indication that they could be used in the stead of spending money in the transfer window.

1 hour ago, useless said:

I think this idea of Bielsa insisting on working with a small squad is a bit of a myth and a convenient excuse for Leeds' owners not to spend, even if there's some truth to it, I've no doubt that Bielsa would have liked to have brought in more players or better players in the summer or in January.

[...]

If they go down main fault will be with their board and DOF Victor Orta, no manager wants to go into a season with a central midfield as weak as theirs, or with Patrick Bamford their only centre forward.

The problem with this theory is that a] Bielsa kept saying he preferred a small squad, and b] he never indicated he was unhappy with the number of players at his disposal. If it was a big enough issue for him he would have either not signed a new contract last summer or walked away at the start of the season, both things he's done before at previous clubs. 

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Leeds haven't even been in that bad form under Marsch, it's that terrible run of losses they had from December-March that will cost them.

From December til Marsch you mean?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I can't find quotes, but Leeds fans say that since Bielsa's left their DOF and CEO have both said that they're going to continue with the small squad policy, and make up the numbers with U23 signings. Bielsa also said all along that he would welcome new signings if they're an improvement on what he's already got, it's not like he was telling the board not to sign anyone.

Looking at evertons last few they can win 1 or 2 of those so i think they safe.

Its between burnley and leeds. The big one burnely is the game vs us. They wont get anything at spurs. So they need something at villa park

• Like 1

Just now, ciggiesnbeer said:

I guess I would sooner see Leeds go down out of them & Burnley. But its disappointing to see Everton getting out of it.

Agree but at the same time I don't see Everton doing anything to change what they are, the infrastructure will still be the same, lampard will still be the same, they'll probably buy mctominay off utd in the summer for £50m and wonder why they're shit next season too

• Like 4

Leeds much more likely to be in trouble next season if they don't drop this season, with the exception of one or two players their squad is championship quality, in fact if they do get relegated I'm not convinced  they will come straigh back up, they will need a squad rebuild in the summer regardless of what division they're in.

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Leeds much more likely to be in trouble next season if they don't drop this season, with the exception of one or two players their squad is championship quality, in fact if they do get relegated I'm not convinced  they will come straigh back up, they will need a squad rebuild in the summer regardless of what division they're in.

Agree

Whilst they mock us about our spending, their lack of it has caught them up 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Agree

Whilst they mock us about our spending, their lack of it has caught them up 

Don't fall for that myth.

Net spend over the last 2 seasons has Leeds at -£149m and us -£91m.

• Thanks 1

Leeds have spent money, their problem is they haven't spent it wisely, these are their big money signings since promotion

Daniel James, Junior Firpo, Jack Harrison, Rodrigo, Llorente, Raphina, Costa, Koch, Meslier

With the exception of Raphinha, and possibly Llorente all those have flopped, Harrison was okay last season but hasn't been that good this season to the point where most Leeds fans want him dropped even Raphinha hasn't been very good this calender year, maybe harsh to judge James as a flop as he's playing out of position, the cry from Leeds fans is for Gelhardt to play through the middle with Raphinha and James on either side

You only have to look at the fact that the likes of Cooper, Ayling, Dallas, Struijk Forshaw, Klich, and Roberts are still all getting regular game time for them to see that they haven't spent their money wisely, I don't think I'd take any of those players even if we were relegated to the championship.

• Like 2

Also this summer when they should have been building on a good season last season, they spent just £50m, half of that on Dan James and then half of the rest on Junior Firpo, who by most Leeds fans accounts has been a disaster for them.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Don't fall for that myth.

Net spend over the last 2 seasons has Leeds at -£149m and us -£91m.

Yeah they've signed plenty in 15-20m range so on the quiet they've done similar to us in 2019. Guessing Augustin is part of that....

Lllorente, Firpo, Koch, Harrison on a permanent, Rodrigo all in that range and Dan James was 25m I think.