Premier League relegation battle

useless

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They looked like they were entering a relegation battle until Eriksen started playing

A excellent and smart signing for them.

I think next year they could be in trouble if they try stand still or invest money poorly like leeds

Brentford have looked comfortable for most of the season, the only reason they had a dip in form at the start of the year is because they had a run of fixtures where they played Southampton, Liverpool, Man Utd, Wolves, Man City, Palace, Arsenal, and Newcastle all in a row, which was a mixture of either the best teams in the league or teams who at the time were the most in form.

18 minutes ago, useless said:

Brentford have looked comfortable for most of the season, the only reason they had a dip in form at the start of the year is because they had a run of fixtures where they played Southampton, Liverpool, Man Utd, Wolves, Man City, Palace, Arsenal, and Newcastle all in a row, which was a mixture of either the best teams in the league or teams who at the time were the most in form.

Their big dip also had a lot to do with their goalkeeper Raya being injured. The back-up keeper had a nightmare.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, useless said:

Both Leeds and Everton looked comfortable last season finishing 9th and 10th on 59 points each. I suspect Brentford will be okay but eho knows what could happen next season if players get too comfortable or they have bad luck with injuries. 

I don't think Brentford will be challenging for 7th-8th any time soon (same could be said for us), but they're a lot more savvy than the Blades were. I think they'll finish 11th-15th over the next couple of seasons.

They're solid enough that they'll comfortably finish above Fulham, Bournemouth, and whoever of Forest, Hudds, Luton and Sheffield Utd comes up.

Edited by His Name Is Death
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, His Name Is Death said:

I don't think Brentford will be challenging for 7th-8th any time soon (same could be said for us), but they're a lot more savvy than the Blades were. I think they'll finish 11th-15th over the next couple of seasons.

They're solid enough that they'll comfortably finish above Fulham, Bournemouth, and whoever of Forest, Hudds, Luton and Sheffield Utd goes up.

I really respect the job franks done there. He had very little experience when he took over and got them up something even our deano couldnt do. Then to top the promotion kept them up. 

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I really respect the job franks done there. He had very little experience when he took over and got them up something even our deano couldnt do. Then to top the promotion kept them up. 

He managed nearly 200 games before he got the Brentford job and managed a big team in the Danish league in Brondby

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

A excellent and smart signing for them.

I think next year they could be in trouble if they try stand still or invest money poorly like leeds

Brentford could stay up for 3-4 seasons I think.

Ultimately though given they're a tiny club in terms of support only so long until gravity pulls you back down as we've seen with Bournemouth and perhaps Burnley this season.

Investment has to be large but not without risk - E.g. Fulham doing a Fulham. Or, do a Norwich and not invest and just accumulate payments. I think the immediate downfall of clubs like Sheffield United was they were too predictable and lacked a Plan B with a squad that wasn’t good enough long-term. Newcastle are an example of a club so poorly managed they were almost sunk. I hope Brentford stay up next season and beyond. Leeds gambled on the myth of Bielsa and it burned them out in the end. The relegation, if it happens, is on him. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Brentfordnylons said:

I expect you will be proved right although the gap between PL and Championship is getting wider and as we have seen this season with Watford and Norwich.This will result in teams like us looking to finish  above those 3 promoted clubs which is great for finances but hardly exciting for fans.Some good comments on here regarding our season and I admit I thought we would get relegated back in January.Eriksen signing was a massive plus but we also got some key players back like our keeper Raya as the 2 keepers we got in on loan were dire.Will be interesting to see who we  sign this summer as we will be buying in a much more expensive market,Look forward to visiting the Villa Park again next season.hope you all have a great summer 

Confident of keeping Eriksen? Would mean you're pretty certain of staying up from that signing alone and would be nice story for him to repay the faith you showed by staying one more year.

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Confident of keeping Eriksen? Would mean you're pretty certain of staying up from that signing alone and would be nice story for him to repay the faith you showed by staying one more year.

From what I’m hearing it’s very likely he will sign supported by the fact he has just bought a house in nearby Richmond and his family are settled in London.He’s a big fish in a small pond at Brentford and will be a starter every week which is vital if he  wants to play for Denmark at the World Cup.this year.I admit I wasn’t that excited when he signed as I thought it was a bit of a friendship favour from Thomas Frank and our Danish connections.Will be interesting to see how he holds up next season when the sentiment calms down and he gets some rough treatment from opposing defenders something he doesn’t seem to get at the moment.

• Thanks 1

Chelsea put out a strong team, they had to really as after dropping points to Everton and Wolves if they drop anymore points they will be in danger of being overtaken in the top four by Arsenal and Spurs. Everton got a result against Chelsea which has given them a really good chance of staying up, now Leeds need to do the same.

Man City are down to the bare bones at the back, they're having to play a midfielder at centre half.

I hope he performs or they'll be forced into brining on the £40m centre half they've got on the bench.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2