Match Thread: Villa v Man City

limpid

I had to leave the room when they got the first, let's just say things might have got broken.

I knew it was 0-2 through a closed door as I heard Tyldsley hitting orgasm.

Sometimes you just have to applaud the opposition as they’re streets ahead of us. We’re pretty much chasing shadows.  Even out of possession, they’re pressing us into mistakes so quickly.

Really tough night for us but a learning curve for Gerrard. 

• Like 1

We've been really good I reckon, hard to see how we could be much better without spending £400m to get some players of the calibre of their squad in.

Bailey going off is a blow. I said before the game it looked like Smith's best XI but it's certainly not Smith's shape and tactics. This is Gerrard/Beale 4-3-2-1, Luiz and McGinn quite often really wide. Looks great to be honest, just that City have been buying the best players in world football while we've got mostly players we bought looking to improve and be able to sell at a profit in the £10-20m bracket for the most part.

Hope we don't concede 2 more and we manage to score, we've been better than 0-2.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Reality is Gerrard has nothing on the bench to really change things, that is the challenge for owners who keep saying they want European football. It is going to cost lots.

You obviously haven't seen Big Keinan yet! 😎

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Ederson £35m

Cancelo £27.5m (plus player exchange)

Dias £50m

Ake £41m

Zinchenko £1.7m

Rodri £62.6m

Fernandinho £34m

Bernardo Silva £50m

G Jesus £27m

Sterling £44m

That XI cost over £372m

Tbf that's a bargain. 

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Ederson £35m

Cancelo £27.5m (plus player exchange)

Dias £50m

Ake £41m

Zinchenko £1.7m

Rodri £62.6m

Fernandinho £34m

Bernardo Silva £50m

G Jesus £27m

Sterling £44m

That XI cost over £372m

Our starting XI cost a shit load too I hope you know that.

• Like 1

Frustrating stuff...  thought we were hanging in well but we botched every counter attack we had.  1st goal sucks...  outside the box from a guy who rarely scores...  Bailey could have gone harder at it, Targett completely whiffs on the header...  2nd goal is us being too aggressive and getting burned.  I'll be optimistic that we can get back in this but I think an early goal is critical.... get VP rocking and give the boys some energy.

1 minute ago, samjp26 said:

Our starting XI cost a shit load too I hope you know that.

That's a ridiculous comparison and you know it - this is a City team with an 'injury crisis' and they can put a mix of first and second string players that cost more in wages and fees that most teams in the league can only dream of.

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Think you need to revise your figures - we signed Bailey for £30m not £13m and Buendia was wanted by Arsenal and Atletico Madrid. Their performances are appalling for what we were expecting and they should be ashamed. 

Fair enough on Bailey price.

Being wanted by Arsenal doesn't suddenly mean Buendia is amazing, Arsenal regularly get battered by City.

They are just too bloody good.  Fans can pick on certain things or players but this Man City team even with players out are something special.  That finish for the second goal was world class with sprinkles on top.  We just aren’t this level.

• Like 2