Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

19 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Personally I'd have sacked him after losing 1-0 at home to West Ham but can sort of understand him getting 10 games. 

Yeah he got more time than I'd have liked - call me reactionary, but the writing was on the wall when we saw the same shit in the first game of the season that people wrote off as meaningless in the preseason games, obviously sacking a manager within the first few games of the season is never going to happen though

I thought we'd already written off our season by giving him as long as we did, still just can't believe how well Emery has done to salvage it.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Don't want to speak too much about him, would rather look ahead given the riches we now have with a world class manager guiding us.

One thing I am curious on though....I remember going into October there were still loads of posters adamant on here that Gerrard would get until Feb/March.

I shudder to think where we'd be now if that happened but what were those people basing that on given our terrible the football and results were. I said at the time people were way overestimating the actual influence Purslow had on the owners and thank f*** that Nas was there at Fulham to witness live how bad we were and swiftly delivered his sacking 10 minutes after the final whistle, it is what Gerrard deserved.

Personally I'd have sacked him after losing 1-0 at home to West Ham but can sort of understand him getting 10 games. You can't however give a manager endless time when he's clearly not cut out for the job. Imagine how wasted this season would've been if we'd given him up to world cup break instead of the incredibly exciting ending we now have.

Honestly, after preseason I knew he was going nowhere fast. It was never going to happen, but I'd have sacked him after the Bournemouth game.

He kept bleating on all year about needing time to stamp his style on the team (despite doing jack squat with the famous mini preseason). He got a pretty much injury free full preseason with his key signings Kamara and Carlos and we just looked as clueless as ever in those friendlies. The Bournemouth game pretty much solidified it for me. Every subsequent game was an excruciating stay of execution. We could barely have left it any later imo.

38 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Don't want to speak too much about him, would rather look ahead given the riches we now have with a world class manager guiding us.

One thing I am curious on though....I remember going into October there were still loads of posters adamant on here that Gerrard would get until Feb/March.

I shudder to think where we'd be now if that happened but what were those people basing that on given our terrible the football and results were. I said at the time people were way overestimating the actual influence Purslow had on the owners and thank f*** that Nas was there at Fulham to witness live how bad we were and swiftly delivered his sacking 10 minutes after the final whistle, it is what Gerrard deserved.

Personally I'd have sacked him after losing 1-0 at home to West Ham but can sort of understand him getting 10 games. You can't however give a manager endless time when he's clearly not cut out for the job. Imagine how wasted this season would've been if we'd given him up to world cup break instead of the incredibly exciting ending we now have.

It was only a belief in his 'winning mentality' that was offered as an explanation for wanting to stick with him.  There wasn't really any football logic behind it.  The players got the blame and no manager could have been expected to get anything from this squad of cowards, we needed to replace them all etc etc.  I do think NSWE did leave the running of the club to Purslow and this was a very rare instance where Nassef completely bypassed him.  Purslow does seem to have had a much less public profile since then, which isn't a bad thing and doesn't mean he still isn't the best man for the job.

• Like 2

My initial Gerrard warning

My Emery recommendation

The amount of times I've written each our last ten manager's surname from the last ten years for some reason

Martin O'Neill 55
Gérard Houllier 38
Alex McLeish 66
Paul Lambert 456
Tim Sherwood 388
Remi Garde 66
Roberto Di Matteo 52
Steve Bruce 160
Dean Smith 746
Unai Emery 88

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'll never get over people getting giddy about 35 mins of half-decent football against Spurs at home, in a game we lost 4-0. The guy won fewer trophies than St Johnstone while in Scotland, and apart from being "Stevie G", never had the qualifications to manage at this level. The year we wasted with him just makes me sad, if we'd sacked Dean for Emery at that time I'd have understood the decision and backed it as a proper upgrade but Dean to Gerrard was a hard, hard downgrade. 

• Like 2

We were going nowhere under Smith either. The football was also dire with his 5 at the back and target being our main source of supply. Gerrard did a job in keeping us up but deserved to be sacked when he waw. 

It was a bad move hiring Gerrard but it was the right move to sack Smith when we did who subsequently failed miserably at Norwich 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

30 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Not me. Karma. If we'd have got in a half decent manager instead of Gerrard, we'd have probably spent a few middling years being safe but not achieving much, but most importantly we wouldn't have got Emery. 

Stars have aligned for us and. That awful Gerrard year was part of that. He had to fill the time and fail for Emery to arrive here. 

All part of the cosmic plan. 

I like the way you think 😂 we must be owed some seriously good times now after the last 13 years or so 

On October 21st 2022 the club sacked manager Steven Gerrard following a 3-0 defeat to Fulham, his 38th league in charge proved to be his final game, over those thirty-eight games his charges picked up 44 points, if one thinks of those thirty-eight games as the equivalent of a league season, then those 44 points would be our third best total in the Premier League since O''Neill left, with only Smith 20/21 and Houllier 10/11, doing better.

But Villans were despondant as results and performances were getting worse and worse, at the time of his sacking the team had won just one of the last ten games, so his departure became inevitable.

2 hours ago, useless said:

On October 21st 2022 the club sacked manager Steven Gerrard following a 3-0 defeat to Fulham, his 38th league in charge proved to be his final game, over those thirty-eight games his charges picked up 44 points, if one thinks of those thirty-eight games as the equivalent of a league season, then those 44 points would be our third best total in the Premier League since O''Neill left, with only Smith 20/21 and Houllier 10/11, doing better.

But Villans were despondant as results and performances were getting worse and worse, at the time of his sacking the team had won just one of the last ten games, so his departure became inevitable.

What idiot wrote that? (I am assuming it is a quote from somewhere?)

The clamour for his services since he left us has been deafening hasn't it?

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I wrote it, but I'm really excellent at writing in things in the style of other people.

Now do it in the style of Ernest Hemingway. 

I can only imagine that Gerrard should be losing confidednce in his own abilities week by week. Even the most arrogent of people cant look at this evidence and think they are good at the job.

Get the feeling Gerrard is waiting for Beale to get sacked by Rangers before going back into management, he's already seen he's a terrible manager without Beale as his assistant so won't be making that mistake again.

And if Beale dosen't want to return to being a number 2 then Gerrard will probably just go into punditry.

It was a wasted year but luckily didn't do much damage as we were already in transition from losing Grealish and now we're back in the mix for europe so hopefully everyone at the club has learnt from that decision and we'll go for more proven managers again, hopefully not for a long while.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Nine points from eleven games at the start of the season.

And Emery and Villa did that in a week.

What a week that was when we played eleven games. 

• Haha 3

Â