Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

On 07/04/2023 at 13:17, sidcow said:

Not me. Karma. If we'd have got in a half decent manager instead of Gerrard, we'd have probably spent a few middling years being safe but not achieving much, but most importantly we wouldn't have got Emery. 

Stars have aligned for us and. That awful Gerrard year was part of that. He had to fill the time and fail for Emery to arrive here. 

All part of the cosmic plan. 

Robert Redford Smirk GIF - RobertRedford Smirk Smile - Discover & Share ...

7 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Not quite sure why this got a couple of confused reactions, everything here is accurate.

Always grateful to Deano for getting us promoted but he was out of his depth as a PL manager and especially one that wants to challenge the top 6.

Gerrard was even worse though.

Nothing Gerrard did kept us up, Smith would have, given time, he was a far better manager than Gerrard who alienated our captain, funked Target off for Dignes, at considerable expense, and generally caused more damage than he was ever worth, I reckon he would have taken this team down, a top 6 team, that's how bad he was. 

Smith should have gone the summer before he went , but for a proven manager. We have had so many bridesmaids but never a bride until Emery, an inspiring appointment and we should never again take chances with our managers, proven or no go. 

• Like 3

If Beale gets sacked eventually I think as long as he isn't a complete disaster at Rangers I think he would still get Championship offers, as he's seen as a young progressive coach the type that's in vogue these days, similar profile to Warburton when he left Rangers and then got a job in the Championship. If Gerrard is to get a another job probably going to have to get on with it without Beale, if wants big wages his options might be limited as will probably find it difficult to get Premier League job, and probably a job at a team relegated from the Premier League.

His best bet might be at a team in the Championship that has owners with a lot of money, or prepared to spend a lot of money, and likes the idea of having a big name associated with their club as a vanity thing, for example small heath owners tried to give him their job at one point.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, useless said:

I wrote it, but I'm really excellent at writing in things in the style of other people.

So you are.

Most of those 44 points were won by Beale, not Gerrard. 

I will do it in the style of Yoda next...

Steven Gerrard, Shit manager he is.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tinker said:

This is why I will never trust Purslows football  judgement again. Plenty of us saw straight though Gerrard without even knowing him, Purslow knew him and still gave him the keys to Aston Villa, disgraceful decision,  especially after Smith being our manager.  

It was a total vanity project from Purslow. I was a bit surprised the ownership gave him free reign to appoint Gerrard without seemingly interviewing anyone else who was actually more qualified.

You can tell the Emery appointment was Nas flexing his muscles and it makes sense. Given the amounts NSWE have invested in last three years you'd want a top class manager spending it rather than a novice with no clear transfer strategy.

Look at the difference in the two 29 year old LBs we've signed in the last 12 months. Digne quickly declined after an o.k start and now we're stuck with a big wage earner on the bench. Moreno is looking like he's played in premier league for years and fits very well into our system and shouldn't be declining for a few years. NSWE will be looking at that and thinking yep we'll give another 100m + to UE to find 2-3 more of those types.

Purslow can continue working and communicating on the upcoming ground changes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Not quite sure why this got a couple of confused reactions, everything here is accurate.

Always grateful to Deano for getting us promoted but he was out of his depth as a PL manager and especially one that wants to challenge the top 6.

Gerrard was even worse though.

Hatred for Gerrard I guess. But really what's the point. It is what it is and we have a great manager now do let's look forward not back 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tinker said:

This is why I will never trust Purslows football  judgement again. Plenty of us saw straight though Gerrard without even knowing him, Purslow knew him and still gave him the keys to Aston Villa, disgraceful decision,  especially after Smith being our manager.  

Purslow appointed Smith - massive success.

Purlsow appointed Gerrard - massive failure. 

Yet you'll never trust him again? 

Okay.

Probably because Smith didn't fail miserably at Norwich, they were fifth in the table when he left, their form hasn't been any better since, probably worse. Top six was about as good as they could expect with their squad, they were currently on a bad run but outside the top two all Championship teams have those kind of runs, as we saw when we were in that division,

Absolutely sick of going round in circles on this but no manager is ever, ever going to be appointed without the full agreement of the whole board. 

No one has a clue how Gerrard came to be here. For all anyone knows Wes and Nassef just wanted a big "name" and asked Purslow to use his contacts to get Gerrard in.  Remember we were also linked with Thierry Henry, this may have been the strategy. 

No one, certainly no one on here knows what happened and I think it's really unhelpful to continually attack Purslow on the basis of rumour and tittle tattle. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Says he has had various job offers "that havent been right for him"

Sounds like his ego wont let him manage a club that he values beneath him. Id be shocked if another club close to our size gives him a job.

I reckon he goes back to liverpool under klopp with the hope of when klopp leaves he takes over.

I can say with confidence he would be a absolute disaster for them if that ever happened

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Sounds like his ego wont let him manage a club that he values beneath him. Id be shocked if another club close to our size gives him a job.

I reckon he goes back to liverpool under klopp with the hope of when klopp leaves he takes over.

I can say with confidence he would be a absolute disaster for them if that ever happened

In that case...

spacer.png

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Liverpool has a few players that can produce moments of magic, so he might be alright.

On 12/04/2023 at 10:37, fightoffyour said:

= don't pay enough more than what he's still getting from being sacked by us

The settlement agreement with Villa will demand that he's taking reasonable steps to moving into a new role so that we can taper off his money. Weird to announce that you're not really doing so! 

9 minutes ago, Dale said:

The settlement agreement with Villa will demand that he's taking reasonable steps to moving into a new role so that we can taper off his money. Weird to announce that you're not really doing so! 

Yeah? No idea what those things look like. Makes sense though.

26 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Yeah? No idea what those things look like. Makes sense though.

I'm not sure it does make sense.

I'd imagine his contract had a value left on it,  and we agreed a fixed amount to buy him out of it. Would be weird if it depended on him doing anything else after. I'm not sure we'd trust him to put the bins out, let alone expect him to get a job that we can use to reduce our outlay. Better to get a fixed amount we're happy with that doesn't rely on Gerrard doing anything. 

That said, if Dale has worked on these things in the football world I'll defer to his inside knowledge 

14 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I'm not sure it does make sense.

I'd imagine his contract had a value left on it,  and we agreed a fixed amount to buy him out of it. Would be weird if it depended on him doing anything else after. I'm not sure we'd trust him to put the bins out, let alone expect him to get a job that we can use to reduce our outlay. Better to get a fixed amount we're happy with that doesn't rely on Gerrard doing anything. 

That said, if Dale has worked on these things in the football world I'll defer to his inside knowledge 

To be clear I haven't. But, was listening to The Price of Football the other day and they covered these managerial exit agreements... 

• Thanks 1

Â