Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

I think that there's some kind of irony that Liz Truss and Steven Gerrard lost their jobs on the same day. They were both short-lived expensive failures and their mistakes could prove costly and lead to economic castrophe for years to come. 

• Like 4

Already talk of him being a contender for the England job when Southgate leaves. In a strange way Ah wouldn't rule it oot, especially if the FA decide they have to go English, there are better candidates obviously but most of those might prefer to stay in club football, whereas Gerrard not going to get much offers in that regard. International teams appointing ex big name players been in vogue recently.

An awful, awful appointment.

He wasn’t even the bloody coach.

Paying him £6m a year to be Beale’s boss, who then left, so we were paying him £6m a year to be Critchley’s boss.

Heads should roll.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Only2McInallys said:

It’s incredible how time makes things seem better than they were.

In 10 years time people will be saying Truss was actually a great prime minister.

This is the rambling of a serial killer

On 11/11/2021 at 03:24, NurembergVillan said:

Same. But EVERY manager is a risk. It's arguably more important that he has the right coaches around him and he is the figurehead - in which case the risk is mitigated.

Yeah, this didn't age well Rob 😂

On 11/11/2021 at 03:28, TrentVilla said:

This appointment won't be universally popular (very few are) especially given many didn't want us to make a change in the first place but Gerrard is here and his staff will soon follow.

It is abundantly clear that this was a one man race, the other names in the media were little more than press specualtion. The club (or Purslow) identified who they wanted, probably quite some time ago and they went and got him, the merits or otherwise of that decision will become clear in the sand of time but once again the owners have acted to try and take the club forward.

There is little doubt that this appointment represents a risk, it is a risk to Gerrard and what we all suspect will be his ultimate ambitions and it is a risk to our club given Gerrard's relatively short managerial experience and the level of the Scottish Premiership. However any managerial appointment is a risk and any of the names muted by us fans would have represented their own risks, that is just reality, I think we all need to accept that.

I wouldn't have picked Gerrard and I know many others wouldn't have done but I think we have to back the judgement of those running the club who have got very little wrong so far in their tenure, we all certainly have to back him regardless of views on Smith or other candidates.

I think we also have to credit Purslow for going and getting the man they wanted, regardless of if we think it is the right man, Purslow and these guys get things done.

This is an ambitious appointment, it is a brave appointment with risk for both parties but with an equal amount of ambition from both.

This club wants to achieve, Gerrard wants to achieve and is a man with a track record of doing so, extensively as a player and to a limited extent as a manager.

Whatever the players thought of Smith and it is clear he was almost universally well liked you can bet they will be buzzing at BMH at the imminent arrival of Gerrard.

Exciting times ahead I feel, one thing is for sure at least he will be able to sort out central midfield!!!!

This on reflection appears to be a considered, intelligent and accurate post - until the last line when it completely falls on it's arse Trent! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â