Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Bravo. We were lucky today but a point is a point and we did play very well. It's his job to lose from this moment on. Any more questionable decisions or inexcusable poor performances and he'll be out the door.

The interesting bit will be what Gerrard does in a game where we are expected to challenge for something.

Today was about not getting tonked, and he did a really good job setting us up to do that.

Will he revert to type when trying to get something from our next 2 games?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jim said:

“No one outside Villa gave us a chance, of course our supporters will have” 

Didn't see the shameful comments from a few pre match then.

Oh give over mate, he has been dog shit all season and today showed some indication HIS COACHES might have potential.

One swallow doesn’t make a spring and your cryptic one liners don’t make you some guru

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

I still think Gerrard should go but at the end of the day he's 100% not going to be sacked until next weekend at least now.

Yeah, Purslow won’t do anything now and I think that’ll have saved him for a bit longer. I’d go a tad further and say he’ll get two games at least. 

If we kick on from here without replacing him we are writing off the points already dropped on the expectation that things will improve. If he is replaced prior to Leicester then it was already in the pipe, right?

I'm not climbing back up on the fence here after a well earned draw, but I'd imagine whatever kind of trigger might be in place to move on sacking him will be contingent on the next couple of results and not tonight, but this result won't have hurt his chances.

We must see some results (wins!), consistency, players picked on merit and better tactical adjustment from here on, else he's still on the out for me.

• Like 1

His interview annoyed me at times. 

He kept saying we might have to cut out the beautiful, technical, nice football at times to go with more fight.

Where the **** has the beautiful and technical football been to get rid of? What the **** is he talking about?

• Haha 2

Just now, macandally said:

Oh give over mate, he has been dog shit all season and today showed some indication HIS COACHES might have potential.

One swallow doesn’t make a spring and your cryptic one liners don’t make you some guru

You are right it doesn’t, he has to follow up with a good performance next week.

Im No guru and I was referring to those hoping we got a drubbing pre match. 

One thing I will say in Gerrard's favour (and I've been a critic)...

He started Douglas Luiz regularly last season, and he's started him today as soon as that Arsenal deal has fallen through.

I wonder how much Luiz's game time was limited by a perception that he wouldn't be here at the end of the window, rather than Gerrard having any issues with him as a player.

I also think starting Ramsey at left wing was inspired and "non obvious", so I wouldn't say it's just luck and player quality that has got him that result.

It's maddening though how much the width problem has been solved immediately with a simple tweak to the shape. Formations are mostly much of a muchness, but we have been deliberately playing such a narrow shape that it was amazing watching us today play with a more natural shape that fills out the pitch. Surely he must realise now that this is the way forward? If he sticks with it, and keeps getting busy, robust performances out of players like Mings, Konsa, Watkins, etc then we have the ingredients for a decent run of results.

One thing I will never doubt is Gerrard's attitude. He clearly is not the type to give up or be lazy. He might be a spiky character, and he might be a bit out of his depth at times, but he definitely wants to make this work.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

I'll be honest, I hope this kick starts him now and he gets us going.

Not that I like him, or how he has been so far. But that I want every single manager who has had the job to succeed, as that means we are successful.

Isn't that what we all want? For us to succeed.

Exactly!!!

• Like 1

On 02/09/2022 at 16:39, tomsky_11 said:

I think pre-West Ham I said 7 points from next 6 and he's still ok for me. That's now 7 from next 4, so basically Leicester must win if we get nothing tomorrow and then he's pretty much game by game until has a decent run under his belt.

Revising this cos got today right and deserved more than a point and should have had but for terrible officiating. 4/5 points from next 3 minimum.

I'm actually shocked how many fans have turned just because of a draw against a poor Man City team. 99% were calling for his head a minute before the game.

It's still 3 wins in 15, we are still 2nd from bottom on points, an we still have the manager who has proved he does not have the experience or knowledge to take us forward.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

His interview annoyed me at times. 

He kept saying we might have to cut out the beautiful, technical, nice football at times to go with more fight.

Where the **** has the beautiful and technical football been to get rid of? What the **** is he talking about?

Erm, hello. 500 passes a match in some games already this season. Total football. 

4 minutes ago, jim said:

You are right it doesn’t, he has to follow up with a good performance next week.

Im No guru and I was referring to those hoping we got a drubbing pre match. 

Nobody wanted a drubbing, but the tea leaves suggested that was what would happen.

He deserves credit, today we had shape and structure and a team ethos.  But let’s be honest, that is the first time this season so he deserves the next one or two to see if he has actually stumbled on something or whether he resorts to type

• Like 2

Credit to Gerrard getting a lot of things right today. But I won’t take a lot from it, against big teams when we’re defending it’s not usually the right test. Add to that the fact that Gerrard in all 3 games against City done really good. So even with what he done, he still didn’t fix our main issues in other games. 

9 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

I'll be honest, I hope this kick starts him now and he gets us going.

Not that I like him, or how he has been so far. But that I want every single manager who has had the job to succeed, as that means we are successful.

Isn't that what we all want? For us to succeed.

Hope is great. But there's been ample evidence that he can't sustain any decent form. You can only hope for so long. We kept hoping every random win from Lambert would be us turning a corner but we never did, because he never had it in him. A good board, particularly one that doesn't have a weird conflict of interest, would recognize this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, macandally said:

Nobody wanted a drubbing

Go and have a look at some of the posts this week and pre match.

Edited by jim
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Credit to Gerrard getting a lot of things right today. But I won’t take a lot from it, against big teams when we’re defending it’s not usually the right test. Add to that the fact that Gerrard in all 3 games against City done really good. So even with what he done, he still didn’t fix our main issues in other games. 

Credit to Gerrard for doing most the things we've all been saying for months 👏 

Â