Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

43 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

See, at this point, the point where you’re talking about deep psychological blows and can’t  take joy from even the simplest of things, a goal…isn’t it time to step a way for a bit?

Was about to say, this sounds more like a " YOU " problem than anything else 👀

A choice to wollow in misery.

Same.goes for a few.

But you beat me to it.

Also, seems.i spoke too soon earlier. Lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Irrespective of what happens in the last 5 games, 4 things have disappointed me during Gerrard's time here. 1)points taken from the top 8 clubs 2)failing to adapt his tactics to suit the players at his disposal 3)similar bad runs to the one that Smith was sacked for 4) his lego hair

For me he will need to address the first 3 things fairly quickly next season to stay in the job. The 4th is the cherry on top! 

1) Performances vs. top 8 have generally been fine and more down to bad luck and individual errors than how the team has been set up that we haven't taken many points from these teams.

2) Him and his team have a fairly clear way of playing. This time is being used to find out which players suit or can adapt to this system. This will be much more useful come the summer and next season.

3) One bad run which wasn't as bad as Smith's in terms of results or performances, and wasn't preceded by half a season of below par results and performances.

Not a chance he gets sacked even if we see the same run of results from him next season, given that would mean he'd be on course for around 52 points come the end of the season, safely mid table with the possibility of a late push for Europe.

Assuming we get our summer business right 1) and 3) will mostly likely fix themselves, and 2) shouldn't be required.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Was about to say, this sounds more like a " YOU " problem than anything else 👀

A choice to wollow in misery.

Not sure. Think they sounded low and like they could do with a break from football and get some enjoyment from things they have more control over. For all we obsess over it, it’s just a game.

Anyway…Gerrard…as long as we get through this season unscathed, I’m positive for next season. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Not sure. Think they sounded low and like they could do with a break from football and get some enjoyment from things they have more control over. For all we obsess over it, it’s just a game.

Anyway…Gerrard…as long as we get through this season unscathed, I’m positive for next season. 

That's one way of looking at it 

The other way of looking at it is, throwing toys out the pram and curling up in the corner because you haven't gotten your way?

Refusing to accept anything else regardless of potential, because it's not exactly what YOU want 

Like when we are kids, we want THAT toy, or THAT game, we want THAT car, we want to go to THAT University, " I want to go to Amsterdam, not Majorca " so even if we get presented with another one, we don't want it, because it's not the one we wanted.

Everyone soon gives in and gives you what you say you want, for peace, only for you to then get bored and realise that you don't actually know what it is you want.

Edit: On second thought, all that actually points right back to what you were trying to say 🤔

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

On 05/05/2022 at 23:08, Tomaszk said:

Been working this week with a rangers fan. Enjoyable watching the two games in pub with him.

He loves Gerrard. Was very surprised to hear I didn't. I think once he got off to a good start, it was sort of accepted outside of Villa that he was 'good' and that was that.

Says Gerrard worth sticking with and this current rangers team were hardened under him.

He does however think they're better under Gio as he is much more flexible and uses different formations for different games.

I asked about the league and why they've failed this year and he just said Celtic now and Celtic last year are night and day. The relative unknown manager and Japanese signings have all been really impressive.

That seems like a fair assessment. The commentators on BT Sport were praising Gerrard's influence at Rangers, the players exhibiting a never say die attitude. Gerrard made Rangers a family again. I think he is trying to build a stronger mentality here - I think Digne and Chambers exhibit those characteristics. SG will need to bring in a few more to help transition the culture into an elite one. I trust him to do this. I think he is a positive influence on others. Rangers are a good example of that IMO.

There is a noticeable indifference to Gerrard ATM by the supporters. I think it stems from our patchy season so far, and him obviously taking over from somebody who was very popular with supporters. People have doubts and anxieties about his ability too. Obviously the Liverpool link unsettles people, even though I think he is fully committed to Villa in that respect and we will only gain from him landing that job. That is all understandable.

However, I do think he needs to build a relationship with fans, which I think he established quite early at Rangers. Gerrard has admitted that he came to Villa to test himself tactically against a variety of different play styles, we often forget that he is still a very young coach and is still developing in that respect. He has a lot of room for growth and will be given the tools to achieve that imo. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Villa_Vids said:

... we often forget that he is still a very young coach and is still developing in that respect. He has a lot of room for growth and will be given the tools to achieve that imo. 

An excellent post. However, I don't think it's a matter of anyone 'forgetting' the above, more a matter of trust that the club have got it right. It's clear as day he is young and developing, the concern stems that it's with our club!

In my opinion he's acquitted himself quite well so far in the role and media etc., whilst doing a poor job on the pitch. We obviously hope it's the kind of poor job that Ferguson did with United initially.

I'm also not as convinced or ameliorated as some by hypothetical 'average points over a season' claims. I'm more convinced by the summation so far: it's not going well, it's early days. Given that circumstance, the criticism, caution and hope for better that you'll find on this or any football forum is as expected as it is understandable.

49 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

An excellent post. However, I don't think it's a matter of anyone 'forgetting' the above, more a matter of trust that the club have got it right. It's clear as day he is young and developing, the concern stems that it's with our club!

In my opinion he's acquitted himself quite well so far in the role and media etc., whilst doing a poor job on the pitch. We obviously hope it's the kind of poor job that Ferguson did with United initially.

I'm also not as convinced or ameliorated as some by hypothetical 'average points over a season' claims. I'm more convinced by the summation so far: it's not going well, it's early days. Given that circumstance, the criticism, caution and hope for better that you'll find on this or any football forum is as expected as it is understandable.

That is all reasonable and understandable. However, it is truthful to say Gerrard has been compared with the likes of Keane, Robson, Bruce. McLeish etc (all coincidentally were Ferguson's students 🤣). I am like - let him fail on his own merit. Lazy assumptions IMO. BTW I am guilty of it too, so I am not knocking anybody who compares with other managers who have failed or succeeded to justify their opinions. Admittedly, the performances and play under SG at times have been really poor, despite the talent we have at our disposal. And at other times we have played well and seen encouraging aspects.

Edited by Villa_Vids

11 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

What do you think Gerrard would do if Man city lose this weekend against Newcastle and we are drawing at 85 minutes against Liverpool next week???

Bring on Ashley Young? :) 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

What do you think Gerrard would do if Man city lose this weekend against Newcastle and we are drawing at 85 minutes against Liverpool next week???

Make his first sub of the game :D 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

That'll test him to the limit?

Fire the U23 coach - oh wait ?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, hippo said:

Hired Phil Roscoe - in the first of what imo will be a lot of changes in the backroom reserve / U23 Set up.

Guess which club he's from ?

Will Roscoe be coming in to do the same role as he did at his previous club as a player care coach? 

1 hour ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Chambers won POS for Fulham as a midfielder.

Tell me you know **** all about football without telling me you know **** all about football. 

Brilliant!

Â