Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

9 hours ago, maqroll said:

Gerrard has charisma and that's a big part of what a manager needs.

Does he? Klopp has charisma. Not sure that Gerrard is a charismatic character. Maybe gravitas? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dale said:

Does he? Klopp has charisma. Not sure that Gerrard is a charismatic character. Maybe gravitas? 

Gerrard absolutely, positively does not have charisma ffs 😂

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

This is Gerrard's main contribution to management,as Beale does the coaching and tactics. He is just a spokesman for the club, in my mind, not really a proper manager. 

Does he? Where has this information come from? Or have you just made it up?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jim said:

Gerrard said that himself when he joined, he let's Beale do the management of the coaching. You can go back to the original videos and see him talk about it.  No idea about tactics though.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Gerrard said that himself when he joined, he let's Beale do the management of the coaching. You can go back to the original videos and see him talk about it.  No idea about tactics though.

According to Rangers fans as well was Beale was the brains behind the operation 

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

According to Rangers fans as well was Beale was the brains behind the operation 

Yeah I don’t want to get into the debate about being the brains as I’ll get tarnished as just saying it because I have concerns about Gerrard at the moment.  So I’ll just leave it at the fact that Gerrard has openly said that Beale manages the coaching side, pretty sure Gerrard is involved given all the pics and videos we see but Beale sets the coaching from what Gerrard says.  I don’t mind that because you hire people to do certain jobs and if that’s Beales speciality then great.

There is a lot of opinion out there on Steven Gerrard.It’s understandable that as he hasn’t exactly set the world on fire (like Howe at Newcastle that people feel underwhelmed.

However the PL is an unforgiving league and a new coach will make mistakes and they will be punished.I think we have suffered from Gerrard and his teams “teething” problems this season and hopefully next year will be better.

We aren’t the only fans to maybe expect to much from a new manger in his first season….Talk to a Wolves fan about Bruno Lage they are confused as to whether he is the right man or not too!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jim said:

Everything else has kind of hit a wall, so we've now moved on.

Proper Managers don't usually have coaches or a coaching team...

Are you some kind of novice Football fan or what Jim?

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Gerrard 100% coaches, as did Dean Smith. They are allowed to hire colleagues/staff to help them. I would be concerned if they didnt.

I know we are in the tail end of the season but bloody hell, we just won 2-0 against Dean Smith's (hallowed be his name etc) new club which spent over 50 million last summer plus loanees from Chelsea and ManU.

I cant be the only person who enjoyed the game. I thought we played well and cruised to a comfortable victory without getting out of 2nd gear.

I give Gerrard credit for turning around a losing run, he would get the blame if we hadnt.

More power to you that you enjoyed that, but I found it excruciatingly boring until about the 80th minute when it started to open up as Norwich were trying to save their season. Seems to be par for the course in 2022. I just want to see that slick passing and pressing team from November-January. What happened to it? I haven't felt this bored watching Villa since the Garde days.

• Like 2

I know we go on about the subs and making them too late. But!  Gerrard really needs to learn when to make subs, like when it isn't working. The forced sub against Norwich changed the game, I feel we would have struggled with Bailey had he not brought Ing's on. He should have made the sub too, not wait until bailey could hardly move.

It's always 70 minutes+ for Gerrard, never less, even if it's blatently not working. I guess he does this, as he would not have liked to be taken off early as a player.

On 02/05/2022 at 22:38, MaVilla said:

Would you say the same about Ferguson?????

He was well known to never take training, and was rarely seen on the training ground, his coaches did all that for him, Ferguson was all about the man management, club/player discipline and standards etc.

Now, im not comparing Gerrard & Ferguson directly, but to say any manager who doesnt lead training "a bad manager", puts a few of the most successful managers ever in to the "bad manager" bracket.

There's far too much to do, to be involved directly in any coaching roles, for any top class manager.....simply too many topics to cover.

There is an old observation in management, when they say......you are too much "in" the job, and not "on" the job.....That is a criticism for not managing, but doing.....delegation is a huge part of management.

as an example....If you are a sales manager and you are involving yourself in the selling process.....you are not managing, properly and eventually you will work your way out of a job and in to the one you are doing "selling"

Steven Gerrard oversees, his job is to ensure all the things to bring us success, is being done......not to do it himself.

That means, he is responsible, for it happening or not, whichever the case may be.

I would guess, there will be times, when he has to be hands on, but if he is managing correctly, that should be rare occasions.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

More power to you that you enjoyed that, but I found it excruciatingly boring until about the 80th minute when it started to open up as Norwich were trying to save their season. Seems to be par for the course in 2022. I just want to see that slick passing and pressing team from November-January. What happened to it? I haven't felt this bored watching Villa since the Garde days.

You mean until Buendia came on

Edited by Follyfoot

41 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

You mean until Buendia came on

That's one way of putting it. I love watching him play. I'm starting to become of the opinion that our good spell at the start of Gerrard's reign had a lot to do with Emi finding his form.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Don't know how someone can claim they're the 'head coach' and not do coaching or tactics. I'd feel well guilty.

I'll rephrase it, Gerrard has some input on coaching and tactics but is not the main driver on either. If Beale left Gerrard would be in the 5hit and things would spiral downwards pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dale said:

I think talking with knowledge ticks more boxes than charisma for me. I enjoy listening to him and I doubt that's cos of his charisma. Its more scouse banter 

10 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I think talking with knowledge ticks more boxes than charisma for me. I enjoy listening to him and I doubt that's cos of his charisma. Its more scouse banter 

Opposite for me. I don't bother listening to his pressers because I've never really heard him say anything insightful or witty - just seems to speak in clichés while being very sure of himself. Not as bad as Sherwood in that respect but not entirely dissimilar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Opposite for me. I don't bother listening to his pressers because I've never really heard him say anything insightful or witty - just seems to speak in clichés while being very sure of himself. Not as bad as Sherwood in that respect but not entirely dissimilar.

That to me is a real plus point.

I guess its down to personalities, and what floats your boat......I like to listen to his assured delivery and his measured answers.....I think he can be witty, its a scouse dry wit.

SG wants to win, and it comes across to me that he is not happy with the results so far.......I don't want him to be.

I don't see many managers in the Prem, coming across laughing and joking,all the time. Klopp is one of the few, as he can.....but even then, his mood can change with prickly questions....The best manager we ever had was Dour in style.

I never heard the last manager say anything insightful or witty......In fact many of our previous managers came across woolly, indecisive and repetitive.

I think with SG, You either like him or you don't.......but some of the reasoning behind why folk don't like him, is iffy, IMO.

I don't think the naysayers with Gerrard will change, even when we improve.....I think he simply doesn't appeal, to some personalities.

In terms of results, SG's are no better then Deans.....but the time in the seat is a huge difference, if SG gets his own players in and his win ratio is below 40% like both of them was/is........Then you can expect change, again.....but that will take time to establish.

Steven Gerrard has been brought in to move the club forward, if he just replicates the win percentages Dean presided over, he will end up with the same fate.....thats for sure.

• Like 1

Â