Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 free hits against red scouse and blue mancs, but two very winnable games against Burnley and Palace.

4-6 points would be a good return from those, I'd be pretty pleased with 49 points considering the recent form and appalling start to the season

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

There have been many valid criticisms of Gerrard's spell in charge so far, but if you can't give a bit of credit where it's due, you're not going to be taken very seriously.

Agree with this but we also shouldn't go overboard as this is a game that we should very much have won tbf. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I agree that Gerrard has shown strengths and weaknesses since he joined, and i think this summer will be huge in terms of improvements/transfers (i hope), but just look at this table showing our last 3 years PL points performance.

Looking at where we were points wise after game 11, i think he has...overall.....done a decent job.

We are currently 5 points behind last years points total (in the same game time frame), thats not too bad considering that after 11 games, we were 1 point worse off than our near relegation year.

image.png.50da91e58f3ac7c6799489980d465aa8.png

This is a good graph. When Smith was sacked we were looking like getting dragged into a genuine relegation battle, and while we've never really been properly out of sight since now, Gerrard has kept us out of immediate danger and now seems to be making a push for a top half finish, which I would've bitten your hand off for back in November.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

They aren't interested in facts. 

We're still a very feast or famine team but hopefully after a summer transfer window and a few additions, we can add consistency to our game. 

Some of us can have honest conversations rather than be fan boys.  I’ve already came on this thread and praised him postgame.  

I’ve produced facts but just because some don’t like those facts doesn’t mean they aren’t accurate but likewise when he’s done well I’ve praised him like today.  Keep doing this and I’ll be positive.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Some of us can have honest conversations rather than be fan boys.  I’ve already came on this thread and praised him postgame.  

I’ve produced facts but just because some don’t like those facts doesn’t mean they aren’t accurate but likewise when he’s done well I’ve praised him like today.  Keep doing this and I’ll be positive.

I'm no fan boy at all. Nothing wrong with honest conversations but i've seen lots of guff written on here saying he hasn't improved us and he's rubbish and he doesn't change the line up or crams his 'mates' into the team. Also, some posters made their minds up early they wouldn't give him a chance and are steadfastly sticking to that. I'll be honest I wasn't keen initially (I didn't want Smith sacked and then wanted Potter) but I gave him a chance. He's doing OK. 

Anyway, lets enjoy the win. UTV :cheers:

• Like 2

I’m looking forward to seeing what Gerrard can do with a transfer window and preseason. We have played some good stuff under him at times, albeit not very consistently. He’s going nowhere so we may as well be optimistic and judge him on next season. 

• Like 1

Promising signs today. Let's hope Gerrard can build on this.

The balance of personnel was much better than he'd ever selected, so we should do that more. I know people point to the transfer window a lot, but this was a clear demonstration that a better balance has been available almost the entire time. 

Allez! 

• Like 3

My perception under Gerrard (and I haven’t gone back through the results to check 😅) is that we tend to win the games we are expected to win on paper and lose the games we’re expected to lose i.e. we don’t have many upsets (the Watford loss is the only one I can think of?).

I think we play a fairly open style that you’d see from a team expecting to dominate the league. It works against teams you are better than but is too open against teams who are better than you. We don’t seem to play a cagey counter attacking game against the top 6 for instance.

I wonder if that is a legacy of Gerrard only playing for/managing teams at the top end of the table?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

My perception under Gerrard (and I haven’t gone back through the results to check 😅) is that we tend to win the games we are expected to win on paper and lose the games we’re expected to lose i.e. we don’t have many upsets (the Watford loss is the only one I can think of?).

I think we play a fairly open style that you’d see from a team expecting to dominate the league. It works against teams you are better than but is too open against teams who are better than you. We don’t seem to play a cagey counter attacking game against the top 6 for instance.

I wonder if that is a legacy of Gerrard only playing for/managing teams at the top end of the table?

Add Brentford and Newcastle too. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Add Brentford and Newcastle too. 

Newcastle are a similar mid table side to us. I wouldn’t call a loss at St James an upset for us myself. The Brentford one though, that’s an upset. We haven’t had any upset wins have we?

Just now, LondonLax said:

Newcastle are a similar mid table side to us. I wouldn’t call a loss at St James an upset for us myself. The Brentford one though, that’s an upset. We haven’t had any upset wins have we?

Not sure I'd count the Brentford loss as an upset. Maybe a bit of a surprise but not much different to our win over Leicester at VP back in December IMO.

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

Not when we played them. It was the expectation of most fans we should beat them.

• Like 1

So we're 11th in the table, this despite the horrendous start that Dean Smith left.

Which is the same position the great Dean Smith finished last season.

This must be really confusing for the anti-Gerrard crowd 😉

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

So we're 11th in the table, this despite the horrendous start that Dean Smith left.

Which is the same position the great Dean Smith finished last season.

This must be really confusing for the anti-Gerrard crowd 😉

Not really. Our last manager got 11th and the guy who replaced him - could get 11th or thereabouts. 

What's confusing about that ?

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

Not really. Our last manager got 11th and the guy who replaced him - could get 11th or thereabouts. 

What's confusing about that ?

Our new manager took hold of the team when they were 17th and had lost 5 in a row, he also hasnt had a proper transfer window.

It must be confusing for the anti-Gerrard crowd because he's done a better job in spite of those two snags.

• Like 1

Â