Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

9 hours ago, hippo said:

I don't know who Justin Lange is !!! πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…Β 

If you mean Johan Lange - sporting director - they are pretty interchangeable until you find one who does what you want (remember susso)

Kudos to JL for plucking Countinho + Digne from obscurity ! (You really think Stevie G didn't recruit those two ? - wow)

Not saying what you have heard re Lange and recruitment isn't true - but like any other hearsay - it's just that hearsay.

All we know know (from Purslow) is that Stevie G wanted to increase the age of the squad - and the club did this is the Jan window. And Stevie G has said the final decision on players rests with himself (probably subject to financial sign off)

If Stevie G wanted to sell for example Konsa or Ming'sΒ  and bring in Joe Gomez - I don't really see anyone at the club stopping him.

Β 

Yeh, Johan Lange, as I typed, but my spellcheck had other ideas!😑

I wouldn’t say getting Digne and Coutinho in the squad was done β€œon a whim” Nor would any other changes this summer. It’s part of a Β complex process of discussion and evaluation, which includes of course - and perhaps crucially - successful negotiation to achieve a satisfactory commercial deal for all parties.Β 
Β 

You should stop worrying about Gerrard being given the club credit card and going on a summer spree!

• Like 3

I’m so pleased that my reverse psychology in the relegation thread worked - by saying we are going to lose the rest of our games from the point that we lost to Spurs - we are now safe!

You’re welcome.Β 

(ps, well done Stevie G, looking forward to a full pre season and transfer window).Β 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I’m so pleased that my reverse psychology in the relegation thread worked - by saying we are going to lose the rest of our games from the point that we lost to Spurs - we are now safe!

You’re welcome.Β 

(ps, well done Stevie G, looking forward to a full pre season and transfer window).Β 

I'm not having that. You can't claim the credit here when it's definitely on me. I've been conducting a scientific study that shows that Villa always lose when I watch and win when I don't. The results of the study are yet to be peer-reviewed but it's it looks like I'll not be checking the tiny river threads much next season.Β 

16 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Funnily enough, yesterday on my YouTube Autoplay, Carragher Keane Neville etc were talking at some sort of forum with fans of different clubs.

Carragher made a point that if fans LIKE the players, manager and general direction of the club, they are likely to get behind the team and be happy regardless of results.

Especially when homegrown players are involved etc.

The main problem SG has is that alot disliked him before he came through the door.

The other problem is that with all the uprooting, new faces, Jack + Dean leaving etc it will take time for any sort of relationship to redevelop.

The club need to work extra hard at this.

As I'll admit that, results aside, the togetherness and unity amongst fans, players and hierarchy is crucial.

Note: As you can imagine, Keane kind of said that was Bollox and if results are shite they will tear you apart regardless. Lol

He might have a point..

Roy Keane is not everyones cup of tea......but he can make some noteworthy points.....His persona sometimes gets in the way of what he is actually saying and some of his points get missed or misinterpreted as a convenience for not liking him.

I can't imagine any manager being accepted to just bobble along regardless, losing more matches than he wins......even Mother Teresa would'nt be impervious to that.

• Like 2

I must admit this contemporary view of having a connection with the manager, is a bit new to me.It's a psychology, I don't quite get.

I don't remember the same preoccupation with Ron Saunders or Graham Taylor.....sure we respected them, as we should, but that was it.

I don't remember talk of a disconnect, when they went....We just got on with it and got behind the next appointee.

I just want the football manager at Aston Villa to win their unfair share of games.... and to do it in a convincing manner.......Thats it for me.

Thats the level of expectation, I have of the man in charge.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Funnily enough, yesterday on my YouTube Autoplay, Carragher Keane Neville etc were talking at some sort of forum with fans of different clubs.

Carragher made a point that if fans LIKE the players, manager and general direction of the club, they are likely to get behind the team and be happy regardless of results.

Especially when homegrown players are involved etc.

The main problem SG has is that alot disliked him before he came through the door.

The other problem is that with all the uprooting, new faces, Jack + Dean leaving etc it will take time for any sort of relationship to redevelop.

The club need to work extra hard at this.

As I'll admit that, results aside, the togetherness and unity amongst fans, players and hierarchy is crucial.

Note: As you can imagine, Keane kind of said that was Bollox and if results are shite they will tear you apart regardless. Lol

It seems likely fans will be more patient if they like the players as well as leading people at the club.

As Carragher implied, fans often talk about feeling more connected to the club when homegrown youth are having success in the first team (like Spurs under Poch or Arsenal under Arteta).

Having likeable owners probably helps too if the alternative is some faceless private equity-company.

You would still assume the patience ends if the club is relegated, of course.

• Like 2

Gerrard spoke very well again at today's press conference.

Focused on doing the job with Villa and again having to bat away questions about Redscouse.

He is a student of the game and will improve as a manager with Villa and thus improve Villa.

A settled pre-season with some new exciting players signing and I think we can solidify a top ten finish next season with an outside chance of Europe.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Focused on doing the job with Villa and again having to bat away questions about Redscouse.

He is a student of the game and will improve as a manager with Villa and thus improve Villa.

A settled pre-season with some new exciting players signing and I think we can solidify a top ten finish next season with an outside chance of Europe.

Tedious.

Journalists with a low grade investigative technique or agenda.

It’s all well and good giving out about journalists asking Gerrard questions about Liverpool, but we are actually playing them this week.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

He might be fairly new to management but he has more than 20 years of media training.

As for the media you gotta feel that they are asking the questions that their readers cares about. Lets be real, the title race and Liverpool will generate more clicks and adds money than any story they could conjure up about Villa. Gerrard will always be more Liverpool than Villa, even if he wins both the league and the CL with us.

59 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

It’s all well and good giving out about journalists asking Gerrard questions about Liverpool, but we are actually playing them this week.

It was a general comment not a specific one.

"Tedious" can be a descriptive word to label at Repetitive questioning on the same topic.

but Yes, I guess they get a free pass this week, as you say.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, sne said:

He might be fairly new to management but he has more than 20 years of media training.

As for the media you gotta feel that they are asking the questions that their readers cares about. Lets be real, the title race and Liverpool will generate more clicks and adds money than any story they could conjure up about Villa. Gerrard will always be more Liverpool than Villa, even if he wins both the league and the CL with us.

I guess you could aim that at Dean Smith and Jack Grealish too.....but they want to wins games with their respective clubs to keep them in employment.....Dean would have loved to beat us in our recent game with them.

We have to seperate their work from their growing up experiences and connection with their boyhood club.

Steven Gerrard is never going to have the same feeling for Villa as you and me or Liverpool..... The sooner we get that, the quicker we can accept him as our manager.

PS I think Ron Saunders was originally an Everton Fan.......,so what?......FWIW, He developed something with us, in his heart.

Β 

Edited by TRO

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

I guess you could aim that at Dean Smith and Jack Grealish too.....but they want to wins games with their respective clubs to keep them in employment.....Dean would have loved to beat us in our recent game with them.

We have to seperate their work from their growing up experiences and connection with their boyhood club.

Steven Gerrard is never going to have the same feeling for Villa as you and me or Liverpool..... The sooner we get that, the quicker we can accept him as our manager.

PS I think Ron Saunders was originally an Everton Fan.......,so what?......FWIW, He developed something with us, in his heart.

Β 

Was more thinking of how the media and their readers connects him with a club.

And yes, Grealish will always be more Villa than City or wherever he may end up. But Villa doesn't sell papers or generate clicks.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Was more thinking of how the media and their readers connects him with a club.

And yes, Grealish will always be more Villa than City or wherever he may end up. But Villa doesn't sell papers or generate clicks.

We can't stop that, at this tender time of his stewardship with us......but I get your point.

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Focused, articulate, measured.....comfortable in his own skin.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, choffer said:

I'm not having that. You can't claim the credit here when it's definitely on me. I've been conducting a scientific study that shows that Villa always lose when I watch and win when I don't. The results of the study are yet to be peer-reviewed but it's it looks like I'll not be checking the tiny river threads much next season.Β 

You've been talking to Elon Musk.πŸ˜€

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I must admit this contemporary view of having a connection with the manager, is a bit new to me.It's a psychology, I don't quite get.

I don't remember the same preoccupation with Ron Saunders or Graham Taylor.....sure we respected them, as we should, but that was it.

I don't remember talk of a disconnect, when they went....We just got on with it and got behind the next appointee.

I just want the football manager at Aston Villa to win their unfair share of games.... and to do it in a convincing manner.......Thats it for me.

Its not that difficult to understand. 'Exciting' villa fan as manager, once in a generation homegrown villa fan playing, club record 10 game run, playoff success and PL great escape. This was a unique time as a fan and it re-engaged an apathetic fan base. People want more of the same feel good factor, even if that combination is highly unlikely to happen again.Β 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, TRO said:

If you're winning it doesn't matter - hell we'd have liked McLeish if he'd got us 4th and won the FA cup. !!!!

Liking/not liking Gerrard only becomes an issue if he isn't winning. Being a former Liverpool hero - I think the fans might turn slightly quicker.

But his popularity or otherwise is a sideshow to results on the pitch.

• Like 2

Γ—
Γ—
Γ‚