Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

He has more than earned the right to have a full preseason with his influence. My only issue with Steven is that he is just boring. To go from someone like Deano, with the passion, immense ties to the city and club to Steven who comes off like a cardboard cutout of a manager is just so....blah. 

Last year we put 7 past the champions. Had the second highest xG ever in a PL match. My excitement for Villa had even eclipsed the O'Neil years. As of now I worry Purslow has missed the mark with bringing in Steven. Dean had run it's course but he had established a brand of play that I hoped would continue with the next appointment.  

5 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

He has more than earned the right to have a full preseason with his influence. My only issue with Steven is that he is just boring. To go from someone like Deano, with the passion, immense ties to the city and club to Steven who comes off like a cardboard cutout of a manager is just so....blah. 

Last year we put 7 past the champions. Had the second highest xG ever in a PL match. My excitement for Villa had even eclipsed the O'Neil years. As of now I worry Purslow has missed the mark with bringing in Steven. Dean had run it's course but he had established a brand of play that I hoped would continue with the next appointment.

Calling him by his first name reminds me of when Stifler starts referring to himself as Steven when trying to impress that posh bird in American Wedding.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

I would suspect you wasn't around when we had Ron Saunders then? Ron made Steve look like the laughing Policeman.

Its not a personality contest.....anyway, I prefer my managers to be articulate and measured and SG is.

So your excitement is confined to one match?

Deans brand of play, rendered him a win ratio of 39.57% in 139 games, He lost as many as he won.....so despite Dean being a naturally popular figure at Villa, lets get some perspective here.

Oh and before you say, SG has only a similar win ratio, he has has been in charge for 23 games.

When SG Presides over a similar win ratio, having presided over more time......I will be saying the same thing.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

I wouldn't describe Dean as "passionate" 🤣 I thought he was the epitome of class, calmness and intelligence. People go way overboard with Smith, I just don't view him like most do. It irritates me a bit. Dean on many occasions has said this was just a job to him, and he did not lose sleep when we were losing. Fair enough. I am not knocking DS for who he is, I admire a lot his qualities and personality traits. But he gives off a vibe that failure is okay. He also said he wanted all the Midlands' teams  "doing well" 🤣 I am sorry, I cannot stomach that. I don't accept it. Villa have to strive to be the best in the Midlands, as a manager you have to be a driver of that belief. We are the most hated club in the Midlands, much like Tottenham are in London and Man Utd are in the north. Play to it. Embrace it. 

In regards to Gerrard, I think a lot of people like what he says (even detractors) and his general attitude. I like his philosophy to the game. I loved what he said after the Norwich game "15th isn't good enough for Aston Villa"  or "I want my players to be killers on the pitch and kill the game early." He is way more passionate than Dean IMO. He doesn't lack in charisma or passion in my opinion. Obviously you need to have more skills than being a pashun merchant. 🤣

It is hard to know if any of this matters but I like to think it does. I am sorry to keep this Smith vs Gerrard debate going. 😅 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

It's nothing to do with it being boring now Gerrard is here. Grealish brought the excitement, not Smith!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

In regards to Gerrard, I think a lot of people like what he says (even detractors) and his general attitude. I like his philosophy to the game. I loved what he said after the Norwich game "15th isn't good enough for Aston Villa"  or "I want my players to be killers on the pitch and kill the game early."

This is Gerrard's main contribution to management,as Beale does the coaching and tactics. He is just a spokesman for the club, in my mind, not really a proper manager. 

14 hours ago, nick76 said:

Cherry-picking? Looking at recent form? You are having a laugh.  

My comment about 11 games was in reference to somebody saying to me before the Norwich game that Smith 10 point haul was unacceptable and I replied that Gerrard was on currently a run of 11 points in 11 games, that’s not cherry-picking it’s rebutting an argument.

Commentators, analysts and fans are always looking at current form.  League tables show the last six game form.  Commentators are always looking at form since the turn of the year.  Villa fans constantly talk last year at various stages throughout that year 2021 form and dismissed being able to talk about season form.

No it’s not cherry-picking it’s looking at stats that some don’t like to confront and unhappy to realise.

Yes, include Gerrard from start stat and I’ve discussed that many times but you can’t dismiss current form recent and during 2022 because it’s poor.  If you think we are playing as well as we did those first six games then I have a bridge to sell you.  If you think we have had a good second half of the season I have some beans to sell you. If you think Gerrard has done a lot more than the bare minimum required then I’m glad you are happy.

I’m not advocating for Gerrard to be sacked, I think he should get at least early into next season but I’m going to continue to analyse his performances and results because he was brought in to take us to the next level, which includes coaching of current players, not just buying players.  Most of the current squad will also be here next season even if a busy summer.  I’m not seeing much improvement so far but I’m told the magical summer will change that.

It is funny how me discussing current form seems a big no no to some because it doesn’t fit their narrative.

I’ve been called a troll, moving the goal posts and that I’m cherry picking yet the only stat out of many many commonly used stats is including those first six games is actually positive and that section is widely known for managers as a new manager bounce.

The only stats that need to concern you are that Smith got 10 points from 11 games, continuing his poor performance form the end of last season. And Gerrard has 30 points from 22 games. 

Anything else is just sophistry and fake statistics.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

This is Gerrard's main contribution to management,as Beale does the coaching and tactics. He is just a spokesman for the club, in my mind, not really a proper manager. 

Would you say the same about Ferguson?????

He was well known to never take training, and was rarely seen on the training ground, his coaches did all that for him, Ferguson was all about the man management, club/player discipline and standards etc.

Now, im not comparing Gerrard & Ferguson directly, but to say any manager who doesnt lead training "a bad manager", puts a few of the most successful managers ever in to the "bad manager" bracket.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Don't know how someone can claim they're the 'head coach' and not do coaching or tactics. I'd feel well guilty.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

People unfortunately made their mind up about Gerrard before he even walked into Bodymoor. It's sad and completely wrong.

Maybe some did, I dunno.

However, was it not near-on universal praise when he got his first few wins? Picked us up off the floor, it was brilliant.

We've looked largely poor whenever we've played without our backs to the wall though. We've generally got progressively worse in overall performance and points return since he's been here IMO. The same formation that does not work is being played over and over.

So. The evidence has changed. It's gone from an incredible start to some pretty lax stuff.

It's fair to say he's not an instant clear step-up from Dean Smith. That's what niggles me the most. Perhaps I overrate us as a club, but I thought we could/can attract some top managers with the money at our disposal.

5 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

The consensus is typically that a manager needs at least three transfer windows to establish his team and philosophy.

In the meantime you can work with what you have though. Players can improve. Formations that might work can be tried. Width can be used in a midfield.

I look forward to us improving next season, because we will.

• Like 1

I think there are too many extremes in relation to Gerrard. One camp is definitely in and no criticism is allowed and the other camp can do nothing but criticise him.

so in the interest of Balance - Stevie G is a shit but good manager. 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Maybe some did, I dunno.

However, was it not near-on universal praise when he got his first few wins? Picked us up off the floor, it was brilliant.

We've looked largely poor whenever we've played without our backs to the wall though. We've generally got progressively worse in overall performance and points return since he's been here IMO. The same formation that does not work is being played over and over.

So. The evidence has changed. It's gone from an incredible start to some pretty lax stuff.

It's fair to say he's not an instant clear step-up from Dean Smith. That's what niggles me the most. Perhaps I overrate us as a club, but I thought we could/can attract some top managers with the money at our disposal.

In the meantime you can work with what you have though. Players can improve. Formations that might work can be tried. Width can be used in a midfield.

I look forward to us improving next season, because we will.

All fair points, it is early in his tenure.

I would expect a higher calibre of player to be signing for Villa and existing players to also improve with a preseason to build upon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Don't know how someone can claim they're the 'head coach' and not do coaching or tactics. I'd feel well guilty.

Alex Ferguson didn't spend much time at their facility during the week. He let McLaren and Kidd and them run the show. He was more of an overseer who would pick the team and rally them on match days. And obviously be in total control during the games.

Gerrard has charisma and that's a big part of what a manager needs. We'll see how far it takes him.

Edited by maqroll

19 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

All fair points, it is early in his tenure.

I would expect a higher calibre of player to be signing for Villa and existing players to also improve with a preseason to build upon.

I want higher ability, not reputation hopefully!

I like the hunger Gerrard talks about, but the attitude is coming out on the pitch in just moaning at each other at the moment.

Every team probably wants to be the fittest in the league, but someone is always 1st and someone is always 20th. Be good if we can be noticeably top 4/5/6.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

I think there are too many extremes in relation to Gerrard. One camp is definitely in and no criticism is allowed and the other camp can do nothing but criticise him.

so in the interest of Balance - Stevie G is a shit but good manager. 

Tbh I'm in the I'm not really Stevie G has a scooby doo camp however he is a big draw and clearly got us players like Coutinho so I'm 50/50 on him. 

3 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

I know you were joking but I find myself being far more pro Gerrard on this thread than I probably actually am because there is no need to add my own slight concerns because of the people catastrophising his every comment, team selection, rumour about what might or might not being going on behind the scenes. I do become defensive when people post rubbish (eg someone complaining that he always talks about Liverpool- no he doesn’t!) or giving reasons as to why we should discount the wins he’s had since he came so they can use the stats of the defeats. There’s been about two pages of drama today fearful that he’s going to bring the financial ruin of the club because Ashley flippin Preece reckons he’s going to work more closely with Lange. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

The hysterics in this thread are something else.

Gerrard is going to get a fair crack at it and there is nothing that your crying is going to do about it other than clog this forum up with junk.

spacer.png

94C59463-F7DC-4F30-9ED2-B6B0503A6189.jpeg

8 hours ago, Tom13 said:

For sure - Gerrard does coaching - the idea he doesn’t is simply laughable. 

• Like 3

Â