Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

When SG came in I decided not to judge him until next season due to what I believe to be poor recruitment in the winter window, unless we got relegated.

I don't think we will get relegated, but for the first time I can see us finishing 15th-17th, which would make me feel like we should've just trusted DS.

Troubling times, but then the Villa journey hasn't been easy for over a decade, it shouldn't continue to surprise me.

Edited by Villan_of_oz

I understand everyone's frustrations, I'm disappointed with the last couple of performances and we're probably going to get more of it in the coming weeks.

But I'm hoping this is an adaption period to Gerrard's tactics. He was clear before the last international break what the time would be used for, some players went away on international duty and haven't had the time to bed down the tactics.

He was always going to get to Xmas of next season to be judged by me, but we should start to see the shoots of that hard work hopefully over the next month.

What I'm saying could be completely wrong, but going to take Gerrard at his word and hopefully patience will reward us as fans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Day 1 Gerrard: “Im all in!”

12 games in:spacer.png

He expects players to “run through walls for him” but deserts the technical area when we’re losing two games in a row. I know that picture is not from yesterday but he did it yesterday too. Not great. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Was it ever right? Sacking Smith for a rookie who got double his salary 

How is Purslow still employed

Nope, wrong move from day one. Deano had more than enough credit in the bank to be given the time to turn it around. If he were to be replaced, it should have been with someone more experienced, even if it was on a temporary basis to get us through to the summer.

Now we're stuck with a guy who is on a massive contact and, at present, looks way out of his depth.

Don't get me wrong, I really hope he turns it around but it's not looking good at the moment.

39 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

He expects players to “run through walls for him” but deserts the technical area when we’re losing two games in a row. I know that picture is not from yesterday but he did it yesterday too. Not great. 

100%. Another example of words Vs actions. SG appears a hollow man. 

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

When SG came in I decided not to judge him until next season due to what I believe to be poor recruitment in the winter window, unless we got relegated.

I don't think we will get relegated, but for the first time I can see us finishing 15th-17th, which would make me feel like we should've just trusted DS.

Troubling times, but then the Villa journey hasn't been easy for over a decade, it shouldn't continue to surprise me.

I don't think sticking with Smith is any better. We needed a proven european coach live favre. I don't want to write off Gerrard yet but yesterday was the first time for me there is major warning signs.

How the hell do you have one bloody shot on target against Watford at home with all the quality players we have? Plays young at right back for some strange reason and opts for two strikers that have failed miserably to play together.It's pathetic 

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 4

Has anyone got a points target that they’d like to see met to give them some reassurance for next season? Obviously performances need to improve as well, but I would hope/assume with an upturn in results, performances would also have improved.

Fourteen games left. I have it in my head another 18 points would take us to 45 points total and not look too bad. 

I think that’s a reasonable ask, something around 45 I’d be ok with. Not completely 100% convinced, but reassured enough. I think.

16 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Has anyone got a points target that they’d like to see met to give them some reassurance for next season? Obviously performances need to improve as well, but I would hope/assume with an upturn in results, performances would also have improved.

Fourteen games left. I have it in my head another 18 points would take us to 45 points total and not look too bad. 

I think that’s a reasonable ask, something around 45 I’d be ok with. Not completely 100% convinced, but reassured enough. I think.

I’d be happy just to get to the magic 40 point mark as quickly as possible. We’ve got 7 or 8 tough fixtures coming up now, and I hope our form improves ASAP.

Gerrard needs the summer to rebuild the squad. Too many players have had opportunities to play in multiple different systems over the last 2-3 seasons, but are just not good enough to perform to the required level consistently.

It was the right time to replace Smith, but he was massively let down by the players and they are doing the same thing again. Not good enough considering how much we have spent since being back in the PL.

Let's put it straight - we didn't sack Smith when we were 15th in the table to appoint Gerrard on a lot more money and with huge backing in the January window to finish in a similar position and barely get to 40 points. 

I understand people worrying and just wanting to get to 40 points as quickly as possible, but that in itself is a massive failure on Gerrard's part and he should be gone in summer (if not before) if that is the case.

He keeps saying we want to finish as high as possible, that's what the owners want, well it seems to me after every passing week the team want to finish as low as possible with all these missed opportunities at 3 points against teams we should be beating comfortably. 

Results aren't improving and neither are performances - Watford, Newcastle and Leeds all had a higher XG than us which is embarrassing. This is not a case of outplaying teams and being unlucky, we are genuinely performing like a pub team.

It's a complete mess because sacking him will cost the owners more money, but if Rodgers was available in summer I'd much rather go get him despite Leicester being disappointing this season. I think Rodgers would be a good fit for us and I really don't see Gerrard turning this around with his stubborn formations and style and the next run of games being difficult. Obviously I hope I'm wrong.

And one final thing - he is never in a million years getting that Liverpool job.

• Like 1

I'd like to see him be more adaptable in the matches. 

It was clear after about 30 mins that Watford would give us all the width we wanted but whenever a CM looked up there was noone available....or when it was out wide players were isolated and needed support.

The Christmas tree looked quite exciting to begin with and some of the quick triangles like against Man U were delicious.

However, we need to be able to change it up for different opponents, especially mid-March when it clearly is causing some issues. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I'd be satisfied around 45. I'd sack him if we were around 40.

5 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I'd be satisfied around 45. I'd sack him if we were around 40.

Not much room for error there!

I appreciate it’s a bit subjective, like league positions, 12th seems inordinately better than 14th, say. Forty five points seems way more comfortable than 40 points.

I think if we failed to reach 40 points it would be hard to not think he’d be in trouble.

Â