Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

7 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Indeed. One of the most interesting things for me was that he looked so much more confident and assertive in the interview. It is even more clear to me now how nervous he was just after his appointment. He seems to have settled down now, and he talked a lot of sense I thought. Especially liked how he dealt with Chuk's horror miss. With all this talk of strictness and abstinence I thought it was good how SG cut him some slack and mentioned how he believed in his ability. It would have been exactly what I would have wanted to hear if I had missed that chance to put us level.   

Not often you hear a manager saying he loves his players.

7 hours ago, Xela said:

Did you sleep through the first half of last season? 

And what happened in the second half of the season and the first half of this season?

Gregory had us top of the league, or you don’t know your Villa history?

Edited by QldVilla
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, QldVilla said:

And what happened in the second half of the season and the first half of this season?

Gregory had us top of the league, or you don’t know your Villa history?

That wasn't what you said though? You said you haven't looked forward to the next game as much since Gregory, not who was the last manager to have us top of the league? As we're not top of the league under Gerrard I don't see the link? 

Also I do know my history around the Gregory era as I had a season ticket then and saw all the games. I liked Gregory, very entertaining character and some great football at times. There were some shit spells under him as well. For every Collymore inspired win against Liverpool or Dublin led comeback against Arsenal, there were home defeats against Charlton and a 4-1 battering by Coventry. But yeah, good times I agree. 

If you haven't enjoyed any manager since him as much as Gerrard's 3 games then what have you been doing for the last 20 years? 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Xela said:

If you haven't enjoyed any manager since him as much as Gerrard's 3 games then what have you been doing for the last 20 years? 

It's comical to say you haven't looked forward to a game since Gregory and then suggest someone questioning that doesn't know Villa's history in that time. Without context and attempting to back it up I'd be sure that was satire.

Gerrard is doing extremely well imho, I've been impressed with our shape in the first two games and impressed with everything in the second half against City but it's not the highlight of Villa's last twenty years. I would love us to surpass everything that's happened since Gregory but to do that in 3 matches we'd have probably had to win them all 10-0.

I'm looking forward to the next game obviously but I have done on numerous occasions.

Edited by blandy
Image with swearing removed
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Xela said:

That wasn't what you said though? You said you haven't looked forward to the next game as much since Gregory, not who was the last manager to have us top of the league? As we're not top of the league under Gerrard I don't see the link? 

Also I do know my history around the Gregory era as I had a season ticket then and saw all the games. I liked Gregory, very entertaining character and some great football at times. There were some shit spells under him as well. For every Collymore inspired win against Liverpool or Dublin led comeback against Arsenal, there were home defeats against Charlton and a 4-1 battering by Coventry. But yeah, good times I agree. 

No I didn’t say that at all, that’s what you interpreted. My comments where in regard to the coach, the style of play and how the players had reacted. It’s the first time in a long time we have a coach who can possibly take the club forward and compete each week.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Farlz said:

This highlights how good Buendia is. I know he made mistakes and lost the ball a few times but for those writing him off look at how he plays in these highlights against the best team in the country. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

This highlights how good Buendia is. I know he made mistakes and lost the ball a few times but for those writing him off look at how he plays in these highlights against the best team in the country. 

Players are tuning in and trying to give the man on the ball an option. It’s quite nice to watch.

If we can also do this sort of movement further up the field, we’re going to be very difficult to play against. 

• Like 1

He’s giving them belief and confidence with the ball.  It’s a good watch seeing the improvement.  Our fitness is much improved already and we really pushed City until the final whistle.

He’s a serious guy and this is only good for the players going forward. 

12 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Players are tuning in and trying to give the man on the ball an option. It’s quite nice to watch.

If we can also do this sort of movement further up the field, we’re going to be very difficult to play against. 

Also passing from the back which whilst dangerous and makes fans nervous we have to trust how they are trying to learn how to play. 

Our fans get way to anxious and it really doesn’t help. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

It's all a bit embarrassing posters trying to justify SG appointment after 3 games and dismiss Smith's achievements over 3 seasons. No one knows how well he's going to do , none of these are his players and he hasn't really had chance to change anything other than a few tweaks , which appeared to have worked in his first two games. The city game was a buy for him so I don't think we can take anything from it either way. 

I think he's going to have problems with Ings and Bailey, Watkins was our best player against City, his work rate alone was acceptional, not to mention the goal. Can Ings be brought back in after that performance? Bailey ......well where to start , he's all over the shop and doesn't seem to have the drive to correct his poor form. Unlike Buendía who is clearly very driven, despite his poor form. Once Trez is back and Bert I can't see how he gets into this team. 

1 hour ago, QldVilla said:

No I didn’t say that at all, that’s what you interpreted. My comments where in regard to the coach, the style of play and how the players had reacted. It’s the first time in a long time we have a coach who can possibly take the club forward and compete each week.

Some are going to enquire in some shape or another with a post like yours that was fairly sweeping.

Here for instance, when you say “take us forward”, to your mind, what is that?

I only ask because MON did take us forward from lower midtable to consecutive sixth place finishes. Smith did take us forward from scrounging around the lower half of the championship to (ultimately where he left us) in a lower half Premier League position.

Both of these appointments brought the club forward from where they started from in my view. And obviously if the club progressed with these two, it’s fair to say they competed on a regular basis. 

So when you say you believe Gerrard will take us forward, in your opinion is that competing to among the top six? Top half? Or higher? This isn’t a trick question.

• Like 1

It’s far too early to say where we may go under Gerrard. If we are all honest, we know that most of the managers in recent years have been limited into where they could take us.

Smith for instance was a good appointment in the championship but he wasn’t an experienced PL manager and ultimately he was learning on the job and the club ran out of patience.

With regards to MON, he wasn’t a proven Top 4 manager, his style of football, playing favourites etc didn’t excite me and ultimately he failed in breaking into that top 4 when he was given the resources to do so.

I do remember how we performed under those managers in the 90’s and Gregory and how we played, it excited me.

I will always support Villa no matter what, have done so since 1976, in Gerrard, and I wasn’t convinced with his appointment, there is something different, something that excites me, like the 90’s. Maybe it will wane after a few months, I don’t know, but I don’t underestimate what Gerrard and his team have done in a short period of time and I can’t wait for the next game and to watch this team play under his influence.

He appears to be someone who can get a team to play above their station, will that happen consistently, only time will tell. But I’m expecting more with him at the helm.

49 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Pass and move, it’s the Liverpool groove.

2 hours ago, MNVillan said:

We have grit that was certainly lacking. We looked rutterless under Deano without Grealish.

Still can’t shake the fact that someone said SG has Lego hair. He absolutely does.

Unfortunately was pipped to first place in the Ballon d'Or Lego Hair award by Mikel Arteta.

Danny Murphy cast the deciding vote and couldn't live with himself if he gave it to a Villan. 

Edited by dubliner
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tinker said:

It's all a bit embarrassing posters trying to justify SG appointment after 3 games and dismiss Smith's achievements over 3 seasons. No one knows how well he's going to do , none of these are his players and he hasn't really had chance to change anything other than a few tweaks , which appeared to have worked in his first two games. The city game was a buy for him so I don't think we can take anything from it either way. 

I think he's going to have problems with Ings and Bailey, Watkins was our best player against City, his work rate alone was acceptional, not to mention the goal. Can Ings be brought back in after that performance? Bailey ......well where to start , he's all over the shop and doesn't seem to have the drive to correct his poor form. Unlike Buendía who is clearly very driven, despite his poor form. Once Trez is back and Bert I can't see how he gets into this team. 

Agreed 

It's been forgotten how much we were creaming ourselves after a narrow defeat against Chelsea.

Stevie G has passed the first test in that he won games that imo we wouldn't have won without changing head coach.

Next steps are to keep it going and tweak the squad with outgoings and replacements.

Â