Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

But top managers do similar things, we’ve seen clips from it across the years.  Can’t diss Smith when others do it.

Well, if i saw other managers do it, I would be equally not impressed.....first impressions, last and blowing bubbles up a players Jacksie, is not my idea of a professional greeting on the first day.....they score a load of goals, I might bend.

but lets not labour it nIck, you just disagree, thats fine.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I don't think folk are getting ahead of themselves......I think its nice for fans to see, what's possibly ahead.

Some of us old ones, had this feeling in the early days of Ron Saunders, despite some of the set backs, you could almost feel the steady progress and the culture being developed.

Where I agree with you, right now ( Short term)is about steering clear of relegation and it is much too early for any real tangible work from SG to get through, he hasn't been here long enough...its just basic stuff, the finer detail will come later.

It is very hard, to witness that second half against one of the best teams around and not get excited as to what lies ahead, sure we could go on to lose to Leicester too, such is the challenge of this league...but lets be bullish.

part of the fun is to predict the outcome, before it happens, no harm in that.....If it goes pear shaped, we was wrong, no big deal.

I believe in the medium term, we will progress, really well, under SG.

Tro I respect what you are saying but it wasn’t long ago we beat the champions of England 7-2.  So I wouldn’t be so sure we will progress as much as you think we will. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I just think people are picking little points to dig at Smith like this which other top managers do.

Big time. But to be fair it’s only one person doing it really. He just manages to reel us in every time.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well, if i saw other managers do it, I would be equally not impressed.....first impressions, last and blowing bubbles up a players Jacksie, is not my idea of a professional greeting on the first day.....they score a load of goals, I might bend.

but lets not labour it nIck, you just disagree, thats fine.

You've set yourself up now for if ever Gerrard gets excited meeting a new signing at the club. Let's hope you're consistent. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Tro I respect what you are saying but it wasn’t long ago we beat the champions of England 7-2.  So I wouldn’t be so sure we will progress as much as you think we will. 

and I accept your point too.

but when I am wrong and it all goes up in smoke.....tell me then.

I see something in SG and only time will prove me right....I saw the similar things in RS and I was proven right, (to myself)after years of demise, under other managers.

I am not afraid, to put my head above the parapet and be shouted down, when tthe evidence goes against me.....but not yet, because the doubters can't be right just yet either.....My stance is just my gut feel, that this is right...call it intuition.

Many times in my working life, folk have said to me, how did you know that was going to happen.....I am a pretty good judge of people and intuition, plays a big part...It came in very handy, running pubs.

Quite Frankly, I am not bothered either way, what folk feel, but I am just saying I feel very confident, we will do well....baring unforeseen circumstances.

Time will tell, but forgive me for my bullish stance, its not designed to irritate anyone.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I think Gerrard is on a mission to be a top manager like he was a player. Is he a better manager or will he become a better manager than Smith? yes! 

giphy.gif

We just got to wait and hope that is true!  We’ve taken a massive risk which could back fire on us but now we just hope he can become a better manager than Smith.  Only time will tell.

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

giphy.gif

We just got to wait and hope that is true!  We’ve taken a massive risk which could back fire on us but now we just hope he can become a better manager than Smith.  Only time will tell.

Nick, These guys are past masters in risk management....They didn't make this move lightly, it has cost them heavily, I would imagine.

Relax.....we will be fine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

and I accept your point too.

but when I am wrong and it all goes up in smoke.....tell me then.

I see something in SG and only time will prove me right....I saw the similar things in RS and I was proven right, (to myself)after years of demise, under other managers.

I am not afraid, to put my head above the parapet and be shouted down, when tthe evidence goes against me.....but not yet, because the doubters can't be right just yet either.....My stance is just my gut feel, that this is right...call it intuition.

Many times in my working life, folk have said to me, how did you know that was going to happen.....I am a pretty good judge of people and intuition, plays a big part.

Quite Frankly, I am not bothered either way, what folk feel, but I am just saying I feel very confident, we will do well....baring unforeseen circumstances.

Time will tell, but forgive me for my bullish stance, its not designed to irritate anyone.

I love it, I want some of it but I’m not there yet. I’m onboard with the Gerrard train now but I just don’t like when people put Smith down for little things and try and pump up what they perceive Gerrard would/will do/might never do.  

Smith was good for us, he’s gone now, left on good terms but still people are taking cheap shots to what end I don’t know.   Fine if people think Gerrard has a higher ceiling even though there’s no proof of that and yes Smith was a nice guy and Gerrard is not as nice.  It’s just irritating the continued cheap shots at somebody that only did good for us.

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I think Gerrard is on a mission to be a top manager like he was a player. Is he a better manager or will he become a better manager than Smith? yes! 

On 2 games ?  Where do we finish this season to quantify success, higher than last season? I think avoiding a relegation battle would be the aim, as I did with Smith. Maybe SG can get us top 8, would that be success? How about next season, top 6? 

Our squad for me is mid level premiership 9th-1th  We have a few exceptional talents , Watkins , Konsa, Martinez and arguably a couple more.  The rest for me are at their ceiling 9th-13th.

The battle for him will be to keep our top talents and add to them  from the youth team (which I think is his and our aim and one of the main reasons Smith may have gone ) 

Our purchases over the last 12 months have been very poor for the outlay, the additions have not improved our first team. Whoever has picked these players should not be picking anymore for us. 

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Nick, These guys are past masters in risk management....They didn't make this move lightly, it has cost them heavily, I would imagine.

Relax.....we will be fine.

No chance, this is a huge risk.  We just have to hope it works out.  Anybody who doesn’t believe this is a risk is fooling themselves.  You believe in him, great.  I’ve had reservations about him but started to get on the train.  The thing we are all relying on is potential of him, that is it.  I desperately want it to work because it could be awesome but I know with this risk it could be a huge disaster.  Feels like I’ve moved from Stock trading to Crypto trading with the increased risk on this.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I love it, I want some of it but I’m not there yet. I’m onboard with the Gerrard train now but I just don’t like when people put Smith down for little things and try and pump up what they perceive Gerrard would/will do/might never do.  

Smith was good for us, he’s gone now, left on good terms but still people are taking cheap shots to what end I don’t know.   Fine if people think Gerrard has a higher ceiling even though there’s no proof of that and yes Smith was a nice guy and Gerrard is not as nice.  It’s just irritating the continued cheap shots at somebody that only did good for us.

Nick, I accept your point....I promise you that I will not mention DS, in future.

I am not going to labour this point, but its all about people and how they motivate others.

In a hypothetical world I could have gone in on day one and said every word and every sentence SG has said to the players.....and I wouldn't have got he same reaction....why? because I am not SG...I am a different persona, but saying the same things...my tone would be different, my body language, would be different..not to mention his playing career, which simply cannot do any harm at all.

My everyday persona, would not allow me to manage Aston Villa, even if I had all the knowledge of the top managers.....its how you carry yourself as much as what you know or what you do.

I will not mention DS again.

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No chance, this is a huge risk.  We just have to hope it works out.  Anybody who doesn’t believe this is a risk is fooling themselves.  You believe in him, great.  I’ve had reservations about him but started to get on the train.  The thing we are all relying on is potential of him, that is it.  I desperately want it to work because it could be awesome but I know with this risk it could be a huge disaster.  Feels like I’ve moved from Stock trading to Crypto trading with the increased risk on this.

I thought you had your leg on, but now, I think its just your big toe 😀

You see, its a huge risk to you....but a relatively low risk to me.

Edited by TRO

47 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

You've set yourself up now for if ever Gerrard gets excited meeting a new signing at the club. Let's hope you're consistent. 

He won't do that....its not in his persona, to yield to emotion without good reason.

He will go in to raptures over a win....but that is motivated by a reason.

when a player arrives, he has done nothing, is all reputation...People like SG wait for the reason to get emotional...they keep their own counsel, until there is a time to let it go.....RS was even worse, you might get a smirk after a win.

If he does it in the future unconditionally, I will be staggered.....and I will be the first to come on here and say so.

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

I thought you had your leg on, but now, I think its just your big toe 😀

You see, its a huge risk to you....but a relatively low risk to me.

My body is on the train, my heart isn’t yet, my head isn’t, my hope is, my excitement is and my love for Villa is dragging me along.  I got more positives from loss to Man City than the wins because I could see more positives for the future.  I think i want to get past the honeymoon phase because that always clouds things and see the team playing then over a good bunch of games before my heart and head make an assessment.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

He won't do that....its not in his persona, to yield to emotion without good reason.

He will go in to raptures over a win....but that is motivated by a reason.

when a player arrives, he has done nothing, is all reputation...People like SG wait for the reason to get emotional...they keep their own counsel, until there is a time to let it go.....RS was even worse, you might get a smirk after a win.

If he does it in the future unconditionally, I will be staggered.....and I will be the first to come on here and say so.

Steady, he's not the f**king terminator. 

This all sounds a bit like religious rapture to me. 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

My body is on the train, my heart isn’t yet, my head isn’t, my hope is, my excitement is and my love for Villa is dragging me along.  I got more positives from loss to Man City than the wins because I could see more positives for the future.  I think i want to get past the honeymoon phase because that always clouds things and see the team playing then over a good bunch of games before my heart and head make an assessment.

Perfect timing to find you.

Currently listening to the Post Match Pint. ( with Dan Bardell etc. )

Apparently Gerrard quite likes Davis and wanted him at Rangers.

Actually not joking this time. lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 1

Â