The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

Just now, MaVilla said:

Hopefully Gerrard will take one look at our midfield, and with his experience, see it needs fixing asap.

By fix I hope you mean him and Gary Mac pop their boots on and register as players for the Brighton game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jim said:

Whoever comes in is on a hiding to nothing in the eyes of a childish few, because they are not Dean Smith.

I'm an ardent Smith admirer but recognised 5 losses on the bounce coupled with team looking in disarray was justification for removal. 

Also don't understand the negativity towards Gerrard as a replacement. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I find it baffling that people think owners and a CEO, that have been nothing but professional and ambitious since arriving here, have suddenly decided at such a critical point and for such a huge decision that they can’t be bothered to go to the trouble of finding the best manager they can and just give the job to one of their mates. On the same basis, just because some posters don’t agree with the decision they think that the owners suddenly lack ambition. Could it not be the case that they could be wrong and that the board with their massive resources have carried out deep and extensive due diligence and in their opinion, which is likely to have more value than any of ours, just might be right? I might be wrong of course and they just like Scousers with a funny voice who once made a bad tackle and his management abilities never came into the conversation at all. 

Sounds like things have moved on anyway. 

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

I'm an ardent Smith admirer but recognised 5 losses on the bounce coupled with team looking in disarray was justification for removal. 

I wouldn’t say it’s negativity towards him just that some posters like me would prefer someone else (I’ve mentioned who numerous times and described their benefits).

However on the flip side I have also mentioned that the youngsters and our midfield will immediately benefit as hearing how a truly world class player did things will definitely be a positive.

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Purslow will be preening himself now like the cat that got the cream - let’s hope it proves the right decision 👍

Absolutely.

It's a huge test for Gerrard. This goes wrong he'll really struggle to get any sort of bigger job.

I think the squad is largely full of good characters who will give him plenty.

Im in the underwhelmed camp but more than happy to be proven wrong and of course I will back him. Some of his personality traits will be exactly what we need atm but I'm just unsure how well we can judge his time in Scotland as a coach. I hope this goes well 😬

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Fair play, there was never any doubting your admiration of Dean. I’m with you on Gerrard. As ever all will depend on results.