The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

9 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

[W]hen things were not going well for Gerrard in his first 2 seasons at Rangers he would regularly throw his players under the bus rather than accept blame himself. 

Shaming players into performing better isn't very progressive management.

20 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

It would be a real cock up at this point. Hopefully we’ve not gone all Lernery at a critical moment. 

How can something that hasn’t actually happened be a real cock up?

There has been nothing from the club about this…..nothing.

On this thread we’ve talked ourselves into a world where Gerrard has been approached and he’s rejected us all before a single fact has been announced.

Crazy

• Like 2

It's done apparently, announced Friday. Mcallister and Beale coming in. Source is one of them friend of a friend itk jobs..

God know if true but it's likely it will happen regardless

Edited by leighavfc
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yep; love this quote

"When young kids get out their mum or dad's car, and they run to the pitch to start training, if after 15 minutes they don't have the same energy that's you that's got it wrong. It's the same for a professional footballer."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56298826.amp

This quote from Gerrard contained within the article above is one of the reasons why he might be so highly coveted:

"What I'll never do is try to do someone else's job when they are better than me at doing it," Gerrard told The Robbie Fowler Podcast.

"It would take me 15 to 20 years to become as good as Michael Beale as an on-pitch coach, delivering sessions on a daily basis, so I let Mick be Mick because he's the expert."

The word removed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

Macallister back at villa, super....😪

Only Villa manager with a 100% record. What’s not to like?

When Houllier left there were cries for McAllister to get the job because there was a perception that we were starting to looking better and better as that season went on and it would be a shame to have to throw away that progress because of Houllier's unfortunate illness. And after all it was McAllister that took charge of the final games in which we did very well beating Liverpool and Arsenal.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

But how do you know it's a crap one?

You do your research, look at all the attributes and make your own assessment.  I’m not saying Gerrard is crap, just analogy…just based on the assessment he’s the crap choice for us.  Just as with everything in life you choose what the best option is in your circumstances and with the options available to us Gerrard, imo, is not the level that we need and is a huge risk.  He may be very successful manager long term but he may also be a Roy Keane.

Personally I think the Gerrard appointment is more about what he did as a player and those in charge at villa are hoping he replicates that as a manager.

Same reason Henry was under consideration last time. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

A favour for a mate. Just ridiculous.

Not a favour. But if there was no relationship he might scrape a shortlist, rather than seemingly being the shortlist. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Dont think he scored under Houllier and barely ran. Was disgusting 

I remember he had beef with Houllier from their Lyon days and he basically downed tools after he sent that ball into orbit against Newcastle and, I could be remembering this wrong, a horrendous display in Europe against Rapid Vienna.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, deck said:

Shaming players into performing better isn't very progressive management.

Indeed. It goes down well with fans at the time. "Good old Stevie kickin em up the arse" - I hope SG has more in his locker than that.

2 minutes ago, Dale said:

Not a favour. But if there was no relationship he might scrape a shortlist, rather than seemingly being the shortlist. 

I’m not that keen but I think that’s harsh. An invincible season at Rangers is a great achievement alongside their European run…

• Like 2