The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, Tommo_b said:

We did?! Not sure anything we have done has been worse then that decision/appointment. It still baffles me to this day. 

I’ve never been so upset as a Villa fan. Just could not get my head around it. I think I put £100 on it not happening too because it just sounded so ridiculous.

Michael Beale is being linked to the Cardiff manager's job and there's talk that he might even get the Rangers job. So with him it might be a similar scenario to what we had with Smith when couldn't bring Frank with him. Hopfully not though as it seems he's highly rated.

That's even if it is to be Gerrard as manager, i've still got a feeling there's going to be some sort of twist.

14 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

On this one, what is the club supposed to do?

They've said nothing. They've hinted at nothing. They've given away nothing. 

If it's not him, people getting worked up enough to be angry with them about it is the equivalent of your missus being angry with you first thing in the morning because of something you did in her dream.

It's Gerrard's camp doing the leaking.

2 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Sorry if this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but what formation does Gerrard normally play at Rangers?

4-3-3 usually I believe. Very much like what we played last season to such good effect. Kent wide left, central striker (Defoe/Morelas) and Hagi/Roofe on the right from memory

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I quite like the idea of having Gary Mcallister back here. He did pretty well in his caretaker stint. 

Nah - Houllier had tried to change the style far too fast for the squad we had who were in revolt against him for most of the season.

Once McCallister was in charge he essentially reinstated the MON system from the year before.  A Young went back out to the wing instead of playing "in the hole" where he'd been terrible and unproductive all season. (The speculation was GH played him there to try and bribe him to stay.)

We eventually finished 9th but that league position flattered us as to how terrible most of it had been.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Slightly concerned at some of the names put forward. 

The last few times we went for a manager who had been successful were BFR and MON and both had success at villa in various ways.

Mostly we have had lower league managers.

Favre seems the most logical choice for a manager with good track record and wide knowledge of European football and players and who is available without pumping out loads of compo.

Gerrard underwhelms me, does it mean he is rubbish ? Nope but it to me would be a Tim sherwood signing. 

Still a bit disappointed how it's ended for Deano but the last 10 months results have had some shockers and the refusal to get some steel in the middle of the park has cost us countless points and him his job.

Probs be Norwich new manager by the end of next week.

Tim Sherwood is a good analogy. I think SG will get us running around at 100mph. And will probably start his tenure pretty well.

But like Sherwood I can see it unraveling in his 2nd season.

• Like 1

Right, I'm knackered from an entertaining day of reading and browsing and reading and browsing .... you get the picture. So I'm off to bed.

I'm still none the wiser really because everything I've read comes from speculation and hearsay. NSWE don't leak so I'll be back in my seat tomorrow morning to continue sifting through gossip and pundit speak.

I intend to enjoy every minute of it. Goodnight all.

Just now, NurembergVillan said:

I'd take a punch in the face over an encounter with a driver so drunk he's wearing mismatched slippers.

I'm not condoning Gerrard and thought he should have been severely punished for what he did, but I displayed double standards when our then-hero potentially risked the lives of other road users (again).

Young men do stupid shit and young footballers aren't immune to it.

I did loads of stupid shit in my 20s and 30s that I cringe about now.

Fair point - but didn't it get into brawls more than once? I was trying to show why some may not like him as a character.

Obviously I love JT now so I am a complete hypocrite!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'd take a punch in the face over an encounter with a driver so drunk he's wearing mismatched slippers.

I'm not condoning Gerrard and thought he should have been severely punished for what he did, but I displayed double standards when our then-hero potentially risked the lives of other road users (again).

Young men do stupid shit and young footballers aren't immune to it.

I did loads of stupid shit in my 20s and 30s that I cringe about now.

It's worse than Politics 😂.

When people don't want something, or want someone, the lengths they will go.

Soon they'll be digging up his high school/college history and finding out he smoked a spliff or did a line on holiday in Ibiza and asking if we really want a " crackhead " for a manager 🤣

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, useless said:

Michael Beale is being linked to the Cardiff manager's job and there's talk that he might even get the Rangers job. So with him it might be a similar scenario to what we had with Smith when couldn't bring Frank with him. Hopfully not though as it seems he's highly rated.

That's even if it is to be Gerrard as manager, i've still got a feeling there's going to be some sort of twist.

After what I’ve read about Michael Beale I’m not sure I’d want Gerrard if it meant Beale wasn’t coming with him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1