The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

26 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Be interesting if Gerrard is appointed how he uses Luiz and McGinn 

Indeed, i wonder will he get them hitting 60 yard,  raking cross field passes to the full back on the opposite side so he can pass it backwards to the half way line. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, bobzy said:

How do Rangers play?  What does Smith do differently to Gerrard? What has been Gerrard's weakness whilst a manager?  How does that compare to Smith?

Both, not combined, Rangers and Celtic pay their players more than the rest of the league added together, almost every match is a foregone conclusion.

The standard of opposition is comparable to bottom/top league 1/2 down here.

All that said, he is a complete unknown against what we are hoping to compete with.

We should be trying to get managers that the media would have us believe we cannot get, NWSE should show them the money, make it happen, aim higher then SG.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Indeed, i wonder will he get them hitting 60 yard,  raking cross field passes to the full back on the opposite side so he can pass it backwards to the half way line. 

Reminds one of how bad things had gotten tactically under Smith. A more pertinent question will be can the new gaffer, whomever he may be, possibly do any worse? 

46 minutes ago, useless said:

@Mazrim

His loyalty, him wanting to take them into the Champions League, the fact that he stated he was very happy at Rangers barely weeks ago when asked about the Newcastle job, the fact that in his interview after their game at the weekend he was talking about how important the coming games are, and the idea that if he's serious about wanting the Liverpool job then he'd probably be better of staying with them and being a success than coming to us - which maybe sounds counter-intuitive but I think in a strange that they're probably right because to get the Liverpool job based on his performance with us he'd probably have to get us Champions League football.

Some flawed reasoning I see there. Taking Rangers into the CL is like wanting to take Chitty Chitty Bang Bang into Le Mans. He'll never get the Liverpool job unless he proves himself at a top league.

14 minutes ago, joshharris12 said:

Where’s the ambition 

Over there, in a box.

Oh dear, that was the ambiguity not the ambition. Bloody Monty Python.

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, villa89 said:

With a player like Buendia, we need to get the likes of Dougie and J Ramsey passing it through the lines as much as possible.

I'm always sceptical of Twitter in the knows. But the account that's reporting on Gerrard has got plenty right recently. They reported Mings getting dropped the day before the game. Then the Dean Smith sacking a few days before the actual event. They're saying Gerrard announced Friday. Highest paid Villa manager ever and a big budget in January. Compensation with Rangers agreed. Not sure, it's true, but as I say, they've got a few Tweets right over the last few weeks. That said, if I had that insider knowledge I'd be on Bet 365 not Twitter so we'll see.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Some flawed reasoning I see there. Taking Rangers into the CL is like wanting to take Chitty Chitty Bang Bang into Le Mans. He'll never get the Liverpool job unless he proves himself at a top league.

Some flawed reasoning I see there. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, being blessed with the power of flight, would absolutely shit on the Le Mans field. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

There is always the possibility he could turn us down....

I don't think i could ever be happier from receiving a snub if this is the case.

If he is offered the job and he turns it down, that will be his loss. We will then go on to offer it to another candidate just like we did when Henry and Solskjaer did the same thing. 

4 minutes ago, ReasonforRevolution said:

I'm always sceptical of Twitter in the knows. But the account that's reporting on Gerrard has got plenty right recently. They reported Mings getting dropped the day before the game. Then the Dean Smith sacking a few days before the actual event. They're saying Gerrard announced Friday. Highest paid Villa manager ever and a big budget in January. Compensation with Rangers agreed. Not sure, it's true, but as I say, they've got a few Tweets right over the last few weeks. That said, if I had that insider knowledge I'd be on Bet 365 not Twitter so we'll see.

Which account is it?

9 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

The average PL manager lasts 2 years 8 weeks. So we should no more worry about where Gerrard would be in a few years than any other manager we care to appoint.

Yeah I agree. The Liverpool thing is only an issue because the condescending press coverage will drive us all mad. The possibility of him actually going to Liverpool eventually is neither here nor there, and doesn't really bother me.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If one of our players did this in a derby they would never have to buy a pint in Birmingham ever again. 

Dion Dublin headbutted Robbie Savage once and he doesn't have to put his hand in his pocket anywhere in the world.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yes, you like me, got jobs based on what we did previously the same skill set/work type, what Purslow knows about Gerrard is as a player not as a manager it’s fundamentally a different skill.  Yes there is some cross over but just as there are the Pep’s of this world there are poor examples like Keane, Gary Neville and even lesser extent Ole and Lampard.

I have trust and a great relationship with many of my friends doesn’t mean they have the skill set to work in my industry (in fact most of them I would fire fairly quickly I’m guessing 😂)

As for if he did get and was successful, that’s a big if and it’s just speculation like me saying if he fails the process matters because it would’ve avoided this outcome..

Yes SG will know that only winning matters but I know that as well but that doesn’t me a candidate for the job.

Anyway all the fluff around every which way people present it, I’m just not sure why Gerrard is getting looked at for the role, it just defies the communication about the direction of the club.

I disagree.

with respect, I think you are looking too literally at some of my comments.....I was a salesman, before being a sales manager, so I know all about have alternative skill sets and alternative objectives to boot.....but my ability to hit targets remained in my psyche, just the same as a winning player, can easily take that psyche in to Management....that was the point I was making....it seems like SG has.

In contrast, to you I am as sure as hell, why he is geting looked at for the role....They are looking in the main( not solely, but in the main) for a mentality to take us forward.

you make the poor examples and you are right, but equally there are cross overs.....Like some of Roy Keane's pysche might be shared with Pep, but may other attributes won't be....Pep is Pep because he has so much to his armoury, Roy in comparison, has much, much less, but some things might still be shared......Thats why in life, we see folk with limitations, but that doesn't mean they are without some very valuable skills.

That's where I am with Dean, I think he possess some great skills in his tool box, much more than some.....but I still think he is mising a few. some will see it, some will disagree with me, I get that.

Edited by TRO

17 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Both, not combined, Rangers and Celtic pay their players more than the rest of the league added together, almost every match is a foregone conclusion.

The standard of opposition is comparable to bottom/top league 1/2 down here.

All that said, he is a complete unknown against what we are hoping to compete with.

We should be trying to get managers that the media would have us believe we cannot get, NWSE should show them the money, make it happen, aim higher then SG.

We should be hiring a manager that is the right fit for Aston Villa, irrespective of apparent standing in football.  Whether that's Gerrard or someone else, that's the choice the board will be making.