The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

I've still got a feeling that it won't be Gerrard and this is a smokescreen, was barely a few weeks back that he insisted he wasn't leaving and asked the reporter whether he lookd unhappy or unsettled when he was linked with Newcastle, and after Ranger's game at the weekend he was talking about how important their upcoming Cup games are. Even if he does agree to speak to us I think it will just be a courtesy thing, similar to when we spoke with Martinez but he turned us down.

That doesn't mean to say I think we have some amazing manager lined up behind the scenes, just I have my suspicions it won't be Gerrard, I'm not even saying this out of wishful thinking as I'm not particularly against or for the appointment, but something doesn't add up to me.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Did he? Experience, yes he had a few years on Gerrard I'll give you that. He finished 9th, 10th and 9th in the Championship with Brentford and he never got close to promotion with Walsall. 

I don't see a great deal of difference between Smith and Gerrard in terms of managerial experience to be honest. Smith had more years under his belt but Gerrard has managed in Europe and won a trophy, again not saying he is the right man but I don't recall people making similar comments re Smith.

a

We were also in the Championship. Brentford were hardly a Rangers were they? The Smith signing would be akin to signing Potter, who also hasn't achieved anything but has a track record for playing good football and decent enough results in the league we're currently competing in.

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I don't know if he'll be terrible, but there's absolutely nothing to suggest he'll even be decent in the PL. It doesn't fill you with confidence does it? He can just as easily relegate us as he can get us into Europe (probably easier), that's how much of a crapshoot getting someone from that league is. And it's not even line he did a clean sweep. He won 1 trophy. You could put Tim Sherwood in charge of Rangers or Celtic and I wouldn't put money on him failing to achieve that. 

And that's without mentioning the fact that we've just gotten rid of a manager who can clearly hack it in this league for what is essentially a massive gamble. I'd be very disheartened if this is how it plays out, but I'll be right behind him.

Rangers was a dumpster fire when he took over. Far, far worse condition than when Deano took us over on a relative basis. Gerrard would be taking a bigger risk taking the Villa job than we would by giving it to him, as if hangs on picking up silverware at Rangers for another 2 yrs, he'll be the hot candidate for replacing Klopp. 

• Like 2

I’m ok with Gerrard if we go for him. Not saying there aren’t better out there but I’m no expert so if that’s who they want, I’ll get behind the decision. 
I agree that we all know he’d go if Liverpool came knocking but that only happens if he’s done a really good job for us. 

29 minutes ago, villakram said:

Rangers was a dumpster fire when he took over. Far, far worse condition than when Deano took us over on a relative basis. Gerrard would be taking a bigger risk taking the Villa job than we would by giving it to him, as if hangs on picking up silverware at Rangers for another 2 yrs, he'll be the hot candidate for replacing Klopp. 

I think he could win every Scottish domestic trophy for the 2 years and still wouldn’t be able to go straight from the SPL to Anfield, he needs to take that risk at some point and, like Carragher said earlier, he won’t get many better jobs than Aston Villa.

3 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

But if the whore is better in bed then happy days. Football is not about having a longterm loving relationship it is about gratification and if the whore provides that then go for it

I’d just stop at the kebab shop. You never know, Steve Bruce might be in there.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I think he could win every Scottish domestic trophy for the 2 years and still wouldn’t be able to go straight from the SPL to Anfield, he needs to take that risk at some point and, like Carragher said earlier, he won’t get many better jobs than Aston Villa.

Nah I disagree on that. Winning a bunch of trophies in Scotland gives that gloss MON had when we got him. Best shot at the Liverpool job is sticking where he is and relying on being ‘Mr Liverpool’… don’t think getting Villa from bottom half to top half would add much. Better off getting the guaranteed European games and racking up some titles.

None of that relevant to whether he’d do well for us or not of course!

I think the issue with Gerrard is it give the impression of us laying on our backs and allowing ourselves to have our bellies tickled by someone you just know is using us as a stepping stone for his "main" objective by becoming the manager at another club. It kind of begs the question of how bothered he would actually be in doing his best work here.

Other than that the guy is a winner and we need that attitude instilling throughout the club, so it's a bit of an enigma really.

For me the difference between the top clubs and the others is that absolute commitment to being the very best. Not putting up with mediocrity and banishing it from the whole culture at the club. That starts with the manager and i suspect Gerrard has that in abundance. We have lacked that for a long time (For example altering training based on playing Xbox & Playstations till the early hours as was mentioned on here recently). Do you honestly think Pep Guardiola and Klopp would be ok with that? ....... I don't!!! 

It's a bit like do they want to have a party or win titles? The time to party is after you win the title not during the season. It's a losers mentality & it will alienate & demoralise true winners very quickly if they are amongst that. 

It's time for AVFC to grow up and act like a big club if we have any hope of becoming one and that starts with this managerial appointment.

• Like 2

Nobody on the list is truly making me think like i want to actually vote for them ahead of any of the others tbh. I will say though that the arguments for Gerrard not coming in because he lacks Premier League experience also hold for most on that list. The only ones actually with experience on it are also gambles as they have basically only managed bottom half finishes and nothing more. I think Martinez is a busted flush personally so it's a no from me on him otherwise they all represent a similar risk in my view. 

2 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Winning in Scotland is an empty vessel. Its a two team league & one team didn't show up that season. Gerrard has not proven himself in terms of the  Premier League & hiring him would be an experiment. Villa deserve better !

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

It's started to sink in a bit more now.  I really want Dean back.  

I said when O'Kelly left in the summer that something had happened and I'd like to know the full story. If they pair up again at Smith's next job I'd be even more interested to know what happened. 

8 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Purslow is a bit of a fan boy of star players and names

If the rumours are true from the Suso leak then that might have something to do with it, possibly there was pressure from Purslow that Terry should be the main man and O'Kelly wasn't up to it and there was a row and the fallout was them both leaving. 

Something went on there for sure and it certainly didn't help Smith's cause at the club. Like I say I'd love to know what happened and if Smith and O'Kelly do pair up again it'd be very interesting.

This appointment is huge for Purslow, you would have thought if he's pulled the trigger to get someone in in time to make a difference then it would be a quick appt and they get two weeks with the squad before the break is over. Not looking quite like that and if he's pulled the trigger before having someone in the bag that's not great, then if he hires someone who doesn't improve things quickly you'd think we'd be in the shit.

• Like 1

Gerrard is a winner and will demand a change in mentality from everyone. Most importantly he will set higher standards. 

Dean Smith was a nice guy and we were a nice team. Expect us to become a little nastier now. 

Happy with this. 

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

From what I have been reading, alot of the weight in the decision to sign Gerrard seems to be based on Purslow's relationship with him. If Purslow is going to provide jobs for his mates at the expense of the club, then he can f*** right off.

I am not sold on Gerrard. Sure, he is doing well with Rangers, but so was Lambert with Norwich, and that turned out well. 🙄 There are better candidates out there, and as @useless says, I hope it is just a smokescreen. 

If we sign Gerrard, I am not confident it will end well. If it doesn't,  Purslow's head should be rolling before Gerrard's has hit the floor.