Relegation Avoidance Thread

HanoiVillan

Brighton is our chance to put some relatively easy points on the board. Brighton are riding high on early season form - but haven't won since mid September. They also have there first choice keeper suspended.

We are approaching having a full squad to choose from. A high profile manager , a packed VP. We won't get many better chances to put 3 points on the board.

If we drift into the relegation places with Stevie G - I feel we will be in fear of relagation all season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Brighton is our chance to put some relatively easy points on the board. Brighton are riding high on early season form - but haven't won since mid September. They also have there first choice keeper suspended.

We are approaching having a full squad to choose from. A high profile manager , a packed VP. We won't get many better chances to put 3 points on the board.

If we drift into the relegation places with Stevie G - I feel we will be in fear of relagation all season.

Do we? In the pre-match thread I'm reading we're going to struggle to put together a midfield 3.

I think that the 21/22 relegation battle is going to be one of the toughest the Premier League has seen.  Norwich, Newcastle and Villa are all going to experience that new manager bounce with Newcastle & maybe Villa splashing the cash in January. A Sean Dyche managed Burnley team will never give up & Brentford , Leeds & Watford all have very experienced  managers and will be tough competitors in the run in. It's imperative that Gerrard gets the team competitive quickly because points are going to get harder to come by as the season progresses. I personally feel Villa possess the quality to avoid the zone but it is no gimme by any stretch of the imagination.

• Like 2

On 16/11/2021 at 21:26, useless said:

Watford at home to Man Utd, Burnley at home to Palace... We really could do with beating Brighton, otherise not beyond the realms of possibility that we could find ourselves in the relegation zone after the weekend, normally wouldn't expect Watford to beat Man U, but I remember the last time we were struggling and it was exactly those kind of results that were going against us.

The trouble is is that there aren't any teams that look significantly worse than anyone else in terms of being capable of picking up points, with the possible exception of Norwich, but even they are only five points adrift with some favorable fixtures to come and the possibility of new manager bounce, so a good chance that there will be at least one team relegated where it might not have been expected, maybe two.

And so this dreaded nightmare becomes reality... I'm started to wonder where our next win will come from, we look to be in genuine trouble. As things stand will be happy just to survive this season.

Edited by useless

59 minutes ago, useless said:

And so this dreaded nightmare becomes reality... I'm started to wonder where our next win will come from, we look to be in genuine trouble. As things stand will be happy just to survive this season.

Well done me, looks like that did the trick, I thought it would.

• Haha 1

That was a vital win, we'd have been one point outside the bottom three if we'd lost that, two points outside with a draw. We're also now back above a point per game, and the target of 20 points by New Year is that little bit more realistic.

• Like 1

We'll be o.k.

Table is still quite tight. 4 points off 18th but also only 4 points off 8th or whatever position Man. United are in.

Tough next 4 games though so situation could be back to desperate in two weeks. Would snatch hand off for a point at Palace to keep building up again.

42 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

That was a vital win, we'd have been one point outside the bottom three if we'd lost that, two points outside with a draw. We're also now back above a point per game, and the target of 20 points by New Year is that little bit more realistic.

Its a tight league. If we'd have beaten Wolves after being 2-0 up, like we would 99 times out of 100, we'd have 16 points and be 1 point outside the European places. I think that says more about the quality of the league than us but its fine margins at the minute. 

We'll be ok. 

• Like 4

I think it's a huge 3 points, and another 1 or 3 against Palace would be fantastic. The most important thing was stopping the free-fall, 6 losses on the bounce would be tough, and with the 3 games after Palace, almost make it a must-win.

Mentally, I think that result was worth far more than 3 points.

• Like 1

Despite their reputation as a brilliant team that just need a goal scorer, if what their fans are saying is anything to go by, Brighton this season haven't been creating nearly as many chances as last season, they've become a more negative side, which got them some good results at the start of the season but hasn't been working for them recenty. I think the expected goals thing that people like, shows that this season they're one of the poorer teams for that - we've actually been worse.

Not to take anything away from our restricting their chances, just saying that they're not the wonderful free flowing attacking team that some make them out to be, or at least not according to their own fans.

• Like 1

*Winning* is what's important, rather than *not losing*. I know it's obvious, but we can all get suckered into thinking a draw is a 'positive result' a lot of the time. By that metric, with 4 wins and 1 draw (13 points) we have had fewer 'positive results' than Newcastle, with 0 wins and 6 draws (6 points). But the difference is obvious. If we can go down there and beat Palace then we'll have got roughly half the wins we need this season; if we draw, we won't, and three subsequent losses would take us back down below a point per game again. Gotta go down there fully focused on winning it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Think its three from the bottom 4, Southampton and Brighton 

Leeds Hopefully 

Leeds currently dominating Spurs at Spurs though, despite an attack of Son, Kane and Moura... I guess that doesn't reflect well on Spurs' midfield four! Come on Tottenham, sort yourselves out and win this game! (Please).

What worries me is that there doesn't seem to be a single team this season who look very likely to go down. There was one, Norwich, but suddenly they've  won two in a row and are now close to getting out of the zone. And Watford, now they've got the manager who won the PL for Leicester. This season's bottom half could be so tight! :s 😓

Edited by robby b

Typical that as soon as we find ourselves near the relegation zone then you start getting results like Watford beating Man Utd, and now Leeds beating Spurs away as it stands. It's worse for Newcastle they're seven points adrift of safety at the moment, at least we will be four points clear of the bottom three whatevey happens between Tottenham and Leeds.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You really don't like Potter do you? 🤣

You genuinely see Brighton as relegation contenders mate?

I dont hate Potter they are just ridiculously overrated. Havent won in about 10 and really offered nothing yesterday. Luckily Everton already came to VP as Brighton are the 2nd worst team we have played this season