The manager situation

OutByEaster?

Back or sack Dean Smith?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel should happen in terms of Dean Smiths tenure as manager?

• Back him for the foreseeable future
    • Sack him if we lose to Southampton
    • Sack him if we lose our next two games
    • Sack him now

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/11/21 at 19:30

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Where and when did they publish these targets?

They didn’t, as you know. Only one of them has been stated, which I pointed out.

This was a list of the likely targets, which should have been (maybe it wasn’t) obvious from the context of the discussion I was having with another poster. I asked if they see these probable targets any differently if mid table this season would not be on the original schedule.

56 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Getting promoted from the Premier League in 19/20 seems a tad unrealistic

No but promotion from the Championship in 19/20 was the aim of the board as stated by Purslow, as I wrote above.

Edited by fightoffyour

15 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Which is fair enough, I suppose. Expectations have been clouded by ambitions lately and it's a little difficult to see the wood for the trees sometimes. I don't think the panic to progress caused by the Newcastle takeover has helped either. 

Not sure Newcastle are doing a whole lot either way. Their squad is still pretty weak and not sure they'll be able to improve it a whole lot in Jan. Not sure any of the managers being linked to them are capable of much better either.

• Like 2

Just now, fightoffyour said:

No but promotion from the Championship in 19/20 was the aim of the board as stated by Purslow, as I wrote above.

Ohhh sorry I misread your post.

I thought you'd just got your years mixed up so I was trying to be funny :D 

• Thanks 1

As in Dean Smith thread:

From the The Athletic:

‘Owners Nassef Sawiris, who takes a daily interest in Villa, and Wes Edens are not ready to press the panic button just yet, but sources suggest a Villa defeat at Southampton on Friday night could lead to a review period during the international break.’

‘The majority of the players are understood to be behind the head coach. It is understood that the players did not feel the 3-5-2 formation was beneficial to their game.’

‘Mings was understood to be furious at the decision (to be dropped), announced to him 24 hours in advance. He cut a dejected figure during the warm-up and sat with a face like thunder until called upon to fill in for the red-carded Ezri Konsa.’

‘Carney Chukwuemeka is no closer to signing a new Aston Villa contract.’

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Just now, PussEKatt said:

All I can say is that with players like Martinez,Mings,Cash,Ings,Watkins,Luiz,Mc Ginn etc we should be a lot higher than 15th,so,if its not the players then who is to blame ? 

The problem is that the squad looks better than it is - because we have many wide players who can't all play at the same time - and there's a reasonable body of opinion that ings/Watkins can't play together.

So a lot of the time we are as last season - without Jack. The idea that the players purchased replace him has backfired spectacularly.

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

That worries me too and we've been here before with Lerner and his '5 year plan'.

Purslow is a mere PR puppet to the owners. We had one before who posted on this forum over 15 years ago.

Back then they were a big fan of throwing everything in Nicola Keye's direction.

I’m not sure Deano can turn it around this time and I think that he is unlikely to be our long term manager.

Looking back on comments made by Purslow, who I agree is more or less a gofer to NSWE, the hierarchy were disappointed with the second half of the season. I think they were tempted to make a change in the summer. The last two games may have helped him a little but largely I think the Grealish situation probably saved him. The reason being that they viewed that as disruptive enough without adding a new manager into the mix. 

I’m sure they have plans, we’re a different animal now, hopefully, than under the last 3 owners. I would imagine that the hope is that Dean can turn this around and so we can make a smooth transition next summer. Both for the club and Dean’s sake that would be the best scenario. I know they made the change mid season when he came in, but I think they’d more or less written that season off and the plan was for Dean to build a promotion team. Victim of his own success? Maybe. 

I believe they are both hoping for a turnaround and at the same time looking for a successor. They don’t want a panic move, but they don’t want another relegation battle either. They want us to project an image of sleeping giants on the up, not sleeping giants constantly dozing off. 

Do they trust Purslow to get it right? If so he’d better not fail. Or is he just a front and they make decisions based on others input, who are less in the limelight. NSWE don’t seem to covet publicity, which probably makes Purslow the perfect foil. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tomav84 said:

the ones that put 'sack him now' puzzle me. have we not seen from newcastle how much worse it can be when you sack a manager with no one lined up?

you can't see who voted for which, but i put back for the foreseeable. he's turned it around before, he'll do it again.

Does this just become our normal under smith, our seasonal slump. How can we progress when we rely on one half of the season being better than the other. 

27 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

All I can say is that with players like Martinez,Mings,Cash,Ings,Watkins,Luiz,Mc Ginn etc we should be a lot higher than 15th,so,if its not the players then who is to blame ? 

The players listed have only started half our games together this season. This was the run from Everton to Arsenal. We got 6 points from this run. As mentioned before this would seem to be broadly in line with what more than half the forum expected prior to those games. Also the list ignores our 3 best wide options, Bailey, Buendia and Traore, who have 7 starts between them. 6 of those were Buendia, only half of those were playing wide.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Does this just become our normal under smith, our seasonal slump. How can we progress when we rely on one half of the season being better than the other. 

it's a fair point...i just feel there are enough mitigating factors to this particular slump to give him a chance

38 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’m not sure Deano can turn it around this time and I think that he is unlikely to be our long term manager.

Looking back on comments made by Purslow, who I agree is more or less a gofer to NSWE, the hierarchy were disappointed with the second half of the season. I think they were tempted to make a change in the summer. The last two games may have helped him a little but largely I think the Grealish situation probably saved him. The reason being that they viewed that as disruptive enough without adding a new manager into the mix. 

I’m sure they have plans, we’re a different animal now, hopefully, than under the last 3 owners. I would imagine that the hope is that Dean can turn this around and so we can make a smooth transition next summer. Both for the club and Dean’s sake that would be the best scenario. I know they made the change mid season when he came in, but I think they’d more or less written that season off and the plan was for Dean to build a promotion team. Victim of his own success? Maybe. 

I believe they are both hoping for a turnaround and at the same time looking for a successor. They don’t want a panic move, but they don’t want another relegation battle either. They want us to project an image of sleeping giants on the up, not sleeping giants constantly dozing off. 

Do they trust Purslow to get it right? If so he’d better not fail. Or is he just a front and they make decisions based on others input, who are less in the limelight. NSWE don’t seem to covet publicity, which probably makes Purslow the perfect foil. 

Spot on Dave.

19 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

it's a fair point...i just feel there are enough mitigating factors to this particular slump to give him a chance

There’s definitely an argument for it, I think I have the blinkers on now though tbh. After three years we should have a core group capable of playing for the manager, I can’t handle another 90 minutes of Mings to Targett to Mings then hoofed up the line on Friday. 

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

I don’t think finding a bit of form will solve anything. Relationships seem to have soured horribly between the coaches, players and fans. 

Has it? I haven’t sensed anything of the sort from fans at VP, I think the vast majority are still behind him. 

Over the years I’ve found that the feelings online can differ massively from that at VP. 

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Newcastle with all the money in the world are on Week 3 of trying to find a new manager. Spurs hired a manager 4 months after they initially wanted him. 

Its really not that simple to arrange a quality manager to come in immediately 

Top level managers are increasingly picky now when they pick their next 'project' (never a club). They are all loaded and often living off a nice paid settlement from their previous job.