Pre-match Thread

Herman22

Smith is under pressure after 4 defeats,  lots of managers would shrink into their shells and try and keep things tight. 

Look, tonight’s team may not not work, but for me it shows balls. If he’s going out he’s going out swinging rather than cowering in a shell. I respect folk for that 

We scored 7 against Liverpool with this formation and Barkley and Tres starting. Dean going back to his roots. It will either work or Purslow is going to have to start making phone calls. 

2 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

The fact that Nakamba and El Ghazi are starting games for us after all the money we have spent tells me something went very badly wrong.

The only players we've spent money on recently that aren't in the team are Ings (COVID) and Sanson (still hurt? Persona non grata?)

Though I would agree that I expected Nakamba and Ghaza to be fringe players this year.

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

We've got McGinn as well. He'll be busy running around like a maniac with a wasp in his pants.

Let's just hope the McGinn we get tonight is the Premier League version, and not the Scottish Premier League version.

The problem is that in order for him to do that, he needs two midfielders behind him to provide cover - what we need him to do if he's one of the two holding players is be disciplined, be positionally excellent and make sure he doesn't give the ball away. Those aren't his strengths.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Ashley young raises the average age of bench by 104 years 

When was the last time a Premier League side named a bench full of Englishmen? (age of Young makes up for the number of boys)

1 minute ago, TomC said:

The only players we've spent money on recently that aren't in the team are Ings (COVID) and Sanson (still hurt? Persona non grata?)

Though I would agree that I expected Nakamba and Ghaza to be fringe players this year.

I'd rather give Chuk and Bidace a chance, maybe not both at the same time but these guys are suppose to be the future and they have looked decent from what I've seen.

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

Smith is under pressure after 4 defeats,  lots of managers would shrink into their shells and try and keep things tight. 

Look, tonight’s team may not not work, but for me it shows balls. If he’s going out he’s going out swinging rather than cowering in a shell. I respect folk for that 

I wish it showed balls. Who else can Deano start in midfield? Look at the subs. JJ is coming off a sprain and not 100%. He's not ready to start the youngsters. He got heavily criticized for using Young there last week. Essentially, he's starting the only players he can.

Edited by TomC
Fixed spelling
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

The problem is that in order for him to do that, he needs two midfielders behind him to provide cover - what we need him to do if he's one of the two holding players is be disciplined, be positionally excellent and make sure he doesn't give the ball away. Those aren't his strengths.

Yeh as well as McGinn has played I'm not his biggest fan. I want the central midfield to compose themselves and control the tempo, not run around at 100MPH. It's certainly not going to work well with Nakamba next to him who doesn't do well under a frantic pace. 

I imagine there will be a lot of long balls over the top tonight because we can't play through our midfield. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

I'd rather give Chuk and Bidace a chance, maybe not both at the same time but these guys are suppose to be the future and they have looked decent from what I've seen.

I agree, I'd rather give one of them a shot than Ghaza. I was replying to the comment amount all the money we spent. We haven't spent any money on those two...

Still, I can see where Deano would rather go with experienced players given that his job could be in question.