Match Thread: Villa v West Ham

limpid

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He's probably been the best player on the pitch along with Buendia for me so far.

I don’t see that and am really not seeing much coming from Bunedia , but to be fair he is not hiding and hopefully it will click, but he seems surprised by the PL’s speed. A general lack quality and basics from everyone.

I don't feel half as distraught as half time at Arse. We're in this. Can still win. Haven't settled. 

Their goals are barely more than 0.1xG each surely. 

• Like 2

Two very preventable goals but will and truly second best. 

Amazing how the pitch looks so congested when we have the ball and so wide open when we don't. 

We need to move the ball more positively. Young and Cash really the only ones to do that so far. 

• Like 1

West Ham haven’t even been that good. They just soak up anything we throw at them, counter a bit, and have scored 2 goals that we should never have allowed to happen.

We need so much more in the next 45 minutes. So many players are out of form, look a bit lost, and don’t look bothered.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Attacking midfielder injured... brings on back up full back.

Deano is absolutely pushing my patience.

He’s getting on I’ll give you but he has played more games in his career as a non full back so not a novice in that position 

• Like 1

Are Villa supporters too harsh? The Guardian's minute-by-minute report at halftime: "Peep peep! West Ham lead after an entertaining first half at Villa Park. There hasn’t been a huge amount in it, but West Ham have been a peedie bit more relaxed, confident and willing to take risks." A very different read...

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Bailey has been very poor to be honest.

Needs  a rocket up his arse.

he has, but on the whole, the whole team has been dire for weeks, so is it that they are all bad players or something else?!!?

Edited by MaVilla

1 minute ago, Newry_Villan said:

Feels like an away game.  Can only hear Spam fans. Usually our crowd  are on fire. 

I was a season ticket holder for years and I’ve honestly never found this mate - not having a dig but I much prefer 99.99% of the people on VillaTalk than some of the douches who go down VP

5 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

Because he passes it sideways/backward to an open man every time.

He takes the easy pass and it always takes two touches to control because it’s bobbling/ on the players wrong foot.

So much more to passing than an accuracy stat

Ok, also has a higher rating for progressive passes than everyone on the team except McGinn - what's you're point?

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

if we lose this game, this is what the seasons points tally look like so far.

image.png.5ff9313077757a08f7e941e0effbbf83.png

This shows quite clearly the thing that worried me most about Smith.  We seem to have (long) spells under him where we get in a poor run of form and he struggles to get us out of it.  Last season we had 13 matches to get 10 points.  Season before we had a 13 match run yielding 8 points and then another 15 games for 9 points.  Looks dangerously like we are on a similar run at the moment.  Yes it has been a tough run of fixtures but we have been second best for long spells of the last 5 matches and don't seem to have any answers or learned from any of the mistakes we have made.

Half time thoughtt- still some lapses in concentration but much much better and Warkins is doing what hes supposed to be doing.

Cash is working well

Mcginn is working well

Our back line has settled abit despite going a couple down from what I would call two very beaut goals in the same part of the net really.

Bailey needs to be unleashed and Buendia and I've a feeling if Smith can find tune the play when we come out we may need to see what we should be season first half.

The female pundit (name please if anyone knows) has got it spot on so far. She even said we need to get Cash on the ball and abit later we did from his work and his starting point of him getting the ball. She's called it good so far.

More of this please and if we lose then we've lost giving a good game to westham first half.

Edited by Dave-R

1 minute ago, calcifer said:

How can he go from one of the best players to one of the worst? I think the loss of Terry and Riley has hit this team hard. We look shambolic. Maybe we need to go back to playing without fans lol!! 

I think nerves from the crowd plays more of a role than coaching when it comes to shit touches and bad passes 

• Like 1

Just now, TheAuthority said:

He was fantastic last season - with no crowds

No he really wasn't. He improved greatly from the season before, when he was atrocious. Also he had Grealish there to take the pressure off him. 

We might need to spend less time on elaborate set piece routines and more on playing through the lines. I also don't understand why we decided to drop 10 yards deeper as soon as we equalised. The 1st 10 minutes were a disgrace too but there were times when we got the ball down and showed glimpses of being a decent football team again.