Ratings & Reactions: Villa v West Ham

limpid

Match Polls  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Referee's performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/11/21 at 23:59

Just now, allani said:

Nope.  The only decision that the ref got wrong was not sending off Hause.  All the other cards were correct.  We lost because we played with less effort, passion and skill than West Ham.  End of.

Disagree. But that’s the point of opinions! 

• Like 1

Let’s not dress this up and blame VAR. We were poor.

As individuals and as a team, we’re making bad decisions and errors consistently now.

12 goals conceded in 4 games is awful.

A change in head coach is needed now. It’s horrible saying it because Dean has done a lot of good work for us but enough is enough.

It’s survival this season.

• Like 2

We deserved to lose this and Konsa i think deserves to be red carded, but I still feel somehow we got cheated out of this

Just noticed no polling for ref performance, I presume this was deliberate and pointless 

Edited by HongKongVillan

I think unfortunately that Dean's time here is coming to a close. Will he get at least another game to see what happens? 50/50 imo on that.

You can tell the body language of the players towards him is just not what you want between a manager and his players; Buendia looked absolutely disgusted that he was taken off. We just look totally bereft of any kind of unity and cohesion with one another and I don't know what the quick fix is.

We have talent on this team, that is not in dispute imo but the stagnant way and unenthusiastic way we are playing does not let us show that.

All discouraging at this point, but I will tune in to the Southampton game and keep the faith as I always do; as fans that's really all we can do.

As always,

UTV

Just now, Django_Zooms said:

Has anyone ever explained why Terry and O'Kelly both left? And also: how does Austin McPhee justify a salary?

Staggering isn't it? Our much talked about set peices coach, and we look worse at them than ever. But he gets the credit for Hause winning a header, and Ings scoring a worldie overhead kick. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

Bailey isn’t the messiah. We need a shake up and quickly. WHU weren’t really that good. Too many poor performances but the mess we are in is down to soft management, including letting internationals doing as they please at the clubs expense. Martinez is losing his composure 

He might be.  But we need to play to his strengths.  Pumping long, high balls to him and Buendia isn't the way to get the best out of them.  But that is down to the "tactics" that we seem to have adopted and so is a problem with the management.

Had some bad luck and iffy refereeing decisions, but were also diabolically bad at times. Targett needs to be dropped very badly. Not sure the sense of bringing Hause in for Mings. Midfield was always second best. Bailey had a miserable debut, Buendia had one good contribution for the goal but otherwise barely seen. Watkins, hard to judge, not really much supply. Cash the only player who did okay throughout. 

Seem to be completely bereft of confidence and clearly in a relegation battle now. End of Sep we were on a high after the win at Old Trafford. It's been as bad a month as it could possibly be.

Full blown crisis at the Villa.

I still back Smith but would understand if he's given the sack. 

The Mings-Sanson rumor is worrying. There's a discipline breakdown evident on the pitch and perhaps off it.

West Ham were fortunate but still the better side. We looked like a Championship side today. 

If we lose next game, Smith will lose his job. 

A rot appears to be setting in and I'm not sure he knows how to stop it.

3 minutes ago, allani said:

Nope.  The only decision that the ref got wrong was not sending off Hause.  All the other cards were correct.  We lost because we played with less effort, passion and skill than West Ham.  End of.

The only decision he got wrong was to not give them a penalty for the young shirt pull

the whole point of VAR is for that shit 

Not as bad a second half a performance as might have been expected in those circumstances. But for me, conceding in the first 10 mins, then again within 5 mins of scoring (spurs game deja vu), and then inviting all kinds of pressure in the first 5 mins of the second half tells you all you need to know - terrible game management. Not keeping it tight at the right times. 

That's the big difference this year compared to last year - mentality. We've had a number of games where the team has fallen to pieces under not much pressure. Ultimately that's a coaching issue rather than anything else (Terry's departure might have impacted). Also some worrying signs of the positive culture Smith was rightly praised for starting to break down in recent weeks - e.g. Buendia and Sanson tantrums. Not looking good. I'm a smith defender overall but don't see him lasting much longer at this rate. 

• Like 1

Â