Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Wolves

limpid

Match Polls  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/10/21 at 22:59

1 hour ago, allani said:

Surely if any attacker had to come off it was Ollie.  He is out of form, out of touch.  Ings has scored 3 and got 2 assists and has proved that he can create and score goals out of very little.  No way Ings should be hooked before Ollie at the moment.

Fair point, but I think Ings looked the more tired of the two and Ollie would have kept up the press a little more. 

2 hours ago, est1874 said:

Have to say I'm just glad I decided against buying tickets for today in favour of spending my birthday elsewhere.

What a poor, poor showing.

Did you actually watch it though ?

Deano:

"They've had three set-pieces, two of them from corners and they've put them into the box and we've won the first contact. It was just the second phase where we went to sleep a little bit. Whether that's a lack of concentration I don't know. It certainly didn't feel like there wasn't a momentum shift, there wasn't a tactical change in the game. It was just the fact they were brighter from the second phase at set-pieces and they scored goals from that."

"Douglas was tiring and the move was always the like-for-like with Nakamba because we wanted to control it. Buendia also ran himself into the ground and asked to come off as well. He had nothing left in him. (Ramsey) was the natural one to come on. Matty Cash got a dead leg and the natural replacement was Ashley Young so they were all like-for-like replacements, and I didn't have much else to do in terms of changes in the game. There was nothing tactical involved, they just scored from the second phase of set-pieces."

I'll let those who saw the whole match decide whether that's fair or not. The criticism about going to sleep on the second phase from set pieces sound accurate. The question that goes unanswered is, why did they get two corners and a free kick near the goal when we should have been in control?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TomC said:

Deano:

"They've had three set-pieces, two of them from corners and they've put them into the box and we've won the first contact. It was just the second phase where we went to sleep a little bit. Whether that's a lack of concentration I don't know. It certainly didn't feel like there wasn't a momentum shift, there wasn't a tactical change in the game. It was just the fact they were brighter from the second phase at set-pieces and they scored goals from that."

"Douglas was tiring and the move was always the like-for-like with Nakamba because we wanted to control it. Buendia also ran himself into the ground and asked to come off as well. He had nothing left in him. (Ramsey) was the natural one to come on. Matty Cash got a dead leg and the natural replacement was Ashley Young so they were all like-for-like replacements, and I didn't have much else to do in terms of changes in the game. There was nothing tactical involved, they just scored from the second phase of set-pieces."

I'll let those who saw the whole match decide whether that's fair or not. The criticism about going to sleep on the second phase from set pieces sound accurate. The question that goes unanswered is, why did they get two corners and a free kick near the goal when we should have been in control?

He forgot to add we were garbage and need to revert to a flat back 4. 

Today was beyond pathetic from the minute go, and to do it against those dog heads adds more salt to the wound. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

2-0 up and cruising and we lost 3-2, serious questions needs to asked 

Watched the game on TV so probably a different perspective. I didn't think we were ever cruising. We were under the cosh before our second which was against the run of play. 

I'd have changed the formation at 2 up. 

1 hour ago, pacbuddies said:

I guess you are happy with a manager that allows a 2v0 win to turn into a 3v2 defeat in the latter stages of a game. Sorry but I clearly have higher standards and I will not just roll over and accept incompetence just because the bloke is a Villa fan!

Listen to you.

Wolves were horrific, practically gifted them every decent opportunity they had. As mentioned, subs completely changed the game and as usual once we let the first in we shat ourselves and just invited them back in.

Smith's decision to put nakamba on killed this game for me, he simply can't play with a back 3.  He plays too deep and just wants rid of the ball when we needed the exact opposite. 

1 hour ago, TomC said:

I haven’t watched the whole match, and I’m not going to judge overall performance from highlights. However, looking at fault for the goals…

Their first goal was nicely worked. Our defense pulled up and left three men behind them, apparently safely offside. The ball out to Podence on the wing appeared to catch us by surprise. Targett should have been marking Podence but was nowhere near him; I think that he gets most of the blame. (I have been really disappointed by Targett this year.) Credit to Mings, if you watch in slow motion, he was the first to sense the threat and reversed direction to cover. The ball was just perfectly passed (one touch!) a half-step beyond Mings and Saiss made no mistake. I can’t blame Mings. Blame the push-up tactic (why try a trap that close to goal?) and Targett. And credit Wolves for good play.

Their second goal was the worst of the three and there’s plenty of blame to go around. Targett gets a large chunk of the blame again. At least he was with his mark this time, but he reacted slower to the pass than Marcal did, which is why Marcal beat him to the ball. Similarly, Tuanzebe was with Coady but reacted slower, allowing Coady beat him to the ball. Mings gets a little blame too; he simply assumed that Tuanzebe had Coady marked and pulled up his run when he might have been in position to cut out the cross if he had kept running.

The third was a deflection (off Targett?!) and just plain unlucky. That said, McGinn’s goal was deflected, too, so the luck ran both ways and you can’t rue your luck.

Again, I’m looking at a small representation of the game, but given the way Targett has played this year and the way he looked in the small sample that I saw today, you either have to start Bailey in his place if he’s ready and if you’re staying 3-5-2, or you have to give Young another chance if you revert to a back 4 or if Bailey isn’t ready.

Very disappointing considering that we would have been 2 points out of a Champions League spot if we had held on. I’m assuming that Liverpool, Man City, and Chelsea are locks for the CL, but with Man U looking ordinary, the fourth spot is up for grabs with a closely clustered group of teams in range. Unfortunately, it looks like we’re headed for mid-table.

Hear what you are saying but I thought Targett was actually OK, made some decent tackles I thought

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KAZZAM said:

Dean is an idiot i give up with the guy sometimes i really do.

We need a substitution couch to handle our subs. I mean we got a set piece couch so why not somebody who actually understands meaningful subs.

No he isn't an idiot. 

Just isn't good enough. 

Likable man. Really is. But he just isn't at the level we strive for. 

Â