The_Steve

3 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Just another Brighton transfer which looks like being very shrewd. 18 year old striker Mark O'Mahoney was signed from Cork City for £50,000, he is banging them in for there u21s in the PL2 this season. I can see him stepping up in time.

IMG_20230907_184002.thumb.jpg.b3663dd617420998b3a2ff3eedde6f76.jpg

We really need to do more League of Ireland shopping.

Haven’t we made similar deals from Ireland and Scotland recently? 

20 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

We've been paying far bigger sums for the Scottish imports if I am not mistaken. Aaron o'Reilly is the last Irish signing I can recall.

Cole Branigan and Callum Moreland were signed from Northern Ireland. 

• Like 1

Mark O'Mahoney might be a good prospect, but those stats aren't all that particularly impressive in of themself, Wilson's are probably similar in similar amount of game time and he's younger, Kellyman's were probably also similar after the same amount of game time, and he's also younger and doesn't usually play as a striker, Brad Young's stats would have also been similar and he's been released, Caleb Chukwuemeka's would have been better, point being standard of U21 football is very low compared to first team football and players having good goalscoring stats isn't a good indicator by itself if they're going to make it at senior level or not.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So then . They are the real deal. Their team cost 17 mill yesterday that they put out on the pitch. And the players they sold havent been pulling up trees. The manager and the system seem to be doing something we haven't seen in this country since the 80s. 

They do play very good football, but I'd say they've had a favourable set of fixtures so far. You'd expect most teams to beat Luton and Wolves and Man Utd are a mess at the moment. The win against Newcastle was probably the most impressive so far. They've a tough run of games starting with us in a couple of weeks (Marseille, Liverpool, Man City & Ajax in October). The demands of multiple competitions and better opponents might see them drop their levels a bit. 

Edited by oishiiniku_uk

I love that we match up well against them. Pretty much the whole of the non-villa supporting football world will be expecting them to beat at at VP on the 30th, however I think many don’t know our record against them. 

they just seem to be one of those teams whose system does not do well against ours. That aside, RDZ is clearly a huge upgrade on potter for Brighton and has basically improved every stat, especially their goals scored which had been such a problem for them since their promotion. They are top scorers in the league and they have welbeck up front which is seriously impressive! 

1 minute ago, Villatillidie95 said:

I love that we match up well against them. Pretty much the whole of the non-villa supporting football world will be expecting them to beat at at VP on the 30th, however I think many don’t know our record against them. 

they just seem to be one of those teams whose system does not do well against ours. That aside, RDZ is clearly a huge upgrade on potter for Brighton and has basically improved every stat, especially their goals scored which had been such a problem for them since their promotion. They are top scorers in the league and they have welbeck up front which is seriously impressive! 

Welbeck has always been a capable player but he was never fit enough to play every week with niggly injuries

• 5 months later...

Why is De Zerbi getting constantly linked with Barcelona, Liverpool etc when his biggest achievement is a sixth place finish with Brighton? His teams are very inconsistent (not won two in a row since September) and defensively shaky. Brighton are entertaining at times, but I think he's been massively overhyped in the media.

3 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Why is De Zerbi getting constantly linked with Barcelona, Liverpool etc when his biggest achievement is a sixth place finish with Brighton? His teams are very inconsistent (not won two in a row since September) and defensively shaky. Brighton are entertaining at times, but I think he's been massively overhyped in the media.

He is getting linked because he is managing Brighton and has to deal with players leaving regularly while still challenging top 8. He is doing a great job and did a good job at Sassuolo and Shakhtar before this and has a chance of winning the Europa League

Â