The_Steve

The way Ashworth works is that he has a list of about ten replacemets for every position or role, so likely De Zerbi was already on Brighton's radar as Potter's replacements whilst he was still there.

But whether that makes it more likely that Manchester United would want De Zerbi should Ashworth go there I don't know, obviously United have completely different expectations.

Not sure if much in the way of Ashworth recommendations, or rather his system's recommendations ended up at Newcastle, I know a lot of their signings after the takeover that did well last season were recommended by Nick Hammond who is now at Leeds

Brighton probably already got De Zerbi replacments in mind, they were apparently considering Russell Martin before De Zerbi, maybe they will go back for him, especially if Southampton fail to achieve promotion, maybe to the most eye h will have been deemed a failure, but Brighton seem to look beyond that, see when they appointed Potter, even though Swansea had only finished midtable

Tony Bloom has invested £400m plus into Brighton and written off hundreds of million worth of debt, they used to be a small club in the sense of having minimal resources but that isn't the case any more, and hasn't been for over ten years now.

Burnley finishing seventh and getting into Europe would be a more fitting example of a small club massively overachieving whilst still being the same club they've always been

11 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I don't disagree that Brighton have exceeded expectations, but I think that's more down to their model than De Zerbi. I don't get how you go from doing a decent job at a mid-table club to being a serious candidate for Liverpool/Bayern/Barcelona. Seems a big leap. But hey, if Southgate can get the Man Utd job then anything is possible... 

How does a new manager get a chance at a top club? The biggest clubs can’t just keep trading managers amongst each other surely? 

At some point they will pick a manager who hasn’t already managed at a top club. 

Sometimes it’s ex players who get a chance way before their time. At least Di Zerbi has done well with a club on the next tier down. 

8 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

How does a new manager get a chance at a top club? The biggest clubs can’t just keep trading managers amongst each other surely? 

At some point they will pick a manager who hasn’t already managed at a top club. 

Sometimes it’s ex players who get a chance way before their time. At least Di Zerbi has done well with a club on the next tier down. 

That's where I think de Zerbi will struggle whereas alonso will jump the queue 

I think young managers can get recognition at "lesser" clubs and have an opportunity to jump but personally whilst I think Potter and DZ did/do well at Brighton they've not done enough to get the Liverpool, barca, bayern job, that's madness, again alonso will win the bundesliga and might even do the treble

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's where I think de Zerbi will struggle whereas alonso will jump the queue 

I think young managers can get recognition at "lesser" clubs and have an opportunity to jump but personally whilst I think Potter and DZ did/do well at Brighton they've not done enough to get the Liverpool, barca, bayern job, that's madness, again alonso will win the bundesliga and might even do the treble

Alonso has had one season. I would be interested to see how he would do at a mid table Premier League club. 

34 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

How does a new manager get a chance at a top club?

By overachieving for a number of seasons. Klopp had sustained success at Dortmund before coming to Liverpool, Unai did well at Almeria, Sevilla and Valencia before getting the job at PSG. So far De Zerbi has taken Sassuolo, a mid-table Serie A team to slightly higher in the table, won a Super Cup with Shakhtar (who win something most seasons) and got Brighton to 6th, but only due to their flying start under Potter at the beginning of the campaign. I just don't think it's enough of a CV to jump from Brighton (who at this point have achieved no more than Southampton did a few years back) to the biggest managerial jobs in the world. A stepping stone like West Ham, Newcastle or similar sized clubs in Europe would make more sense to me.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk

There are famous examples of former high profile players making bad managers, but people seem to conflate this with thinking every player who played at the top level is going to be a bad manager, or somehow less deserving to be a manager, in many cases that might be true, but not always, Alonso one of the exceptions, he really has done well, he's on the verge of winning Leverkusen their first ever title, he's being linked with top clubs because of that, not because of his name, he's ahead of De Zerbi because he's already achieved more, if some unknown non famous ex player  had have achieved the same with Lever then that person would also be on the radar of Europe's big clubs

11 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

By overachieving for a number of seasons. Klopp had sustained success at Dortmund before coming to Liverpool, Unai did well at Almeria, Sevilla and Valencia before getting the job at PSG. So far De Zerbi has taken Sassuolo, a mid-table Serie A team to slightly higher in the table, won a Super Cup with Shakhtar (who win something most seasons) and got Brighton to 6th, but only due to their flying start under Potter at the beginning of the campaign. I just don't think it's enough of a CV to jump from Brighton (who at this point have achieved no more than Southampton did a few years back) to the biggest managerial jobs in the world. A stepping stone like West Ham, Newcastle or similar sized clubs in Europe would make more sense to me.

Shakhtar was winning the League and might have won the double before the war happened. He also had Sassuolo playing great football while getting the 2nd highest finish in club history

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

That's because they should be nowhere near the Premier League, let alone regularly in the top half.

As I said previously, it's insane that we've become numb to these "small" sides doing so well.

Yep, Eddie Howe "failed" at Bournemouth you sometimes read on account of him leaving after they were relegated in 2020. He took over when they were about to get relegated to non league in 2008-09. In six years then it was three promotions and then five successive seasons in the premier league.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yep, Eddie Howe "failed" at Bournemouth you sometimes read on account of him leaving after they were relegated in 2020. He took over when they were about to get relegated to non league in 2008-09. In six years then it was three promotions and then five successive seasons in the premier league.

Howe achievements are not as appreciated because Bournemouth were cheating through the divisions

• Like 1

Again Brighton have spent hundreds upon hundreds of millions of pounds, Tony Bloom has written of hundreds of millions of pounds worth of debt, there's no 'shouldn't be in the Premier League' about it, the opposite is true, if they weren't in the Premier League it would be a massive failure, they aren't the Brighton they used to be, any more than Man City are the Man City they used to be.

Also even if it were true that they're overachieving that doesn't confute the idea that their players and managers are often overrated, Potter was being talked about as some managerial genius when Brighton were dong no better than they were when Hughton was there, even when he improved them, he hadn't done any better than other managers have done at other teams with far less resources, countless numbers of their players go for big money and then hardly do anything at their new clubs, what has De Zerbi done to deserve links to a team like Liverpool

I don't think it's even controversial to say that their managers and players are often overrated, trouble is people often can't tell the difference between overrated and bad, if you say a player is overrated that doesn't mean that that player is a bad player, or that an overrated manager is a bad manager

Their players being overrated is nothing to do with them overachiveing, other clubs have overachieved, I don't see their players and managers get overrated to the extent that happens with Brighton

1 hour ago, useless said:

Again Brighton have spent hundreds upon hundreds of millions of pounds, Tony Bloom has written of hundreds of millions of pounds worth of debt, there's no 'shouldn't be in the Premier League' about it, the opposite is true, if they weren't in the Premier League it would be a massive failure, they aren't the Brighton they used to be, any more than Man City are the Man City they used to be.

Also even if it were true that they're overachieving that doesn't confute the idea that their players and managers are often overrated, Potter was being talked about as some managerial genius when Brighton were dong no better than they were when Hughton was there, even when he improved them, he hadn't done any better than other managers have done at other teams with far less resources, countless numbers of their players go for big money and then hardly do anything at their new clubs, what has De Zerbi done to deserve links to a team like Liverpool

They’ll have spent hundreds of millions because they’ve gotten into the Premier League and that’s what happens to literally any team which survives a season. It’s impossible NOT to spend that kind of amount.  I’d wager their record signing is still some distance away from ours in cost, though.

The thing is, they wouldn’t be a massive failure if they weren’t in the Premier League. They’d just be like any other side which gets promoted; except they haven’t done that at all. They’ve almost constantly progressed to the point at which they are a normalised top half side and we’re saying that De Zerbi has “done nothing”. It’s madness. 

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

They’ll have spent hundreds of millions because they’ve gotten into the Premier League and that’s what happens to literally any team which survives a season. It’s impossible NOT to spend that kind of amount.  I’d wager their record signing is still some distance away from ours in cost, though.

The thing is, they wouldn’t be a massive failure if they weren’t in the Premier League. They’d just be like any other side which gets promoted; except they haven’t done that at all. They’ve almost constantly progressed to the point at which they are a normalised top half side and we’re saying that De Zerbi has “done nothing”. It’s madness. 

I'm saying he's done nothing to get a shot at the Liverpool or barca job

He's doing well and he's a good manager buts he's not screaming elite level top table manager to me 

18 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Underachieving big spenders, Brighton, announce a £122.8m profit for 2022/23. Healthy.

Its apparently the 2nd highest ever

Taking Chelsea to the cleaners. 

Caicedo for over a 100mill has gotta be the biggest joke transfer, not on any planet was he ever a 100 Mill player. 

6 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Taking Chelsea to the cleaners. 

Caicedo for over a 100mill has gotta be the biggest joke transfer, not on any planet was he ever a 100 Mill player. 

200 million on Cucarella Caicedo and Sanchez and another 20 on Potter.  Its like winning the lottery 4 times. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

Underachieving big spenders, Brighton, announce a £122.8m profit for 2022/23. Healthy.

Apparently that doesn’t even include Caceido. 

So their next years accounts should be just as good or even better.

De Zerbi must be Liverpool bound based on all arse licking Klopp was doing to him. 

Â