The_Steve

4 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Bizarrely overhyped. Took over from potter to play similar football and did well. Now he's the second coming of alex ferguson. Shit hair too

Yet Potter was nowhere near this successful at Brighton

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

De Zerbi averaged approx 1.5 ppg in his 25 league games last season and is on course to do about the same this time around. That kind of average over 38 games gets you 8th-11th place normally. Potter got 9th in the 21-22 season with an inferior squad. 

Brighton have sold much better plays under De Zerbi. Caicedo and McAllister were their spine. 

They've also been playing in Europe which as we know is tough. He's done a solid job. Saying that I also think David Moyes has at West Ham but he's not liked there. Makes a big difference playing attractive football on top of getting results. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

They can't just keep getting better forever, especially with their model, eventually they'll find their level and plateau 

If Brightons plateau is 10th to 6th then **** me that's a massive accomplishment 

I dont think they'll shit the bed but any kind of negativity around them is mental, it's hard but sometimes you've just got to see football for what it is and enjoy it, Brighton are definitely there imo 

I don't disagree that Brighton have exceeded expectations, but I think that's more down to their model than De Zerbi. I don't get how you go from doing a decent job at a mid-table club to being a serious candidate for Liverpool/Bayern/Barcelona. Seems a big leap. But hey, if Southgate can get the Man Utd job then anything is possible... 

Just now, oishiiniku_uk said:

I don't disagree that Brighton have exceeded expectations, but I think that's more down to their model than De Zerbi. I don't get how you go from doing a decent job at a mid-table club to being a serious candidate for Liverpool/Bayern/Barcelona. Seems a big leap. But hey, if Southgate can get the Man Utd job then anything is possible... 

Oh yeah I don't think de Zerbi gets a shot at the top table, I just don't see it while at the same time he doesn't have the ex player connections that say alonso has to be gifted anything, the barca and Liverpool links feel like a good agent rather than serious 

2 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Serie A is the best league for giving up and coming coaches shots at the big jobs. I think Allegri had some success at Cagliari before he went to Juventus first time. Pioli been a journeyman coach for years before finding success late in the day at AC Milan. Inter gave Gaspierini a shot but it didn't work so he found success at Atalanta instead. Think Roma made the SFs of CL in 2018 with Eusebio Di Francesco etc...Simeone Inzaghi hadn't managed anyone when Lazio gave him the job, Sarri was also picked up by them after doing well at Empoli.

If De Zerbi is overlooked for one of the CL favourites he'll just go back to Serie A I imagine. Juventus are playing terribly again so they badly need a refresh.

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Potter layed the foundations that de Zerbi is reaping the rewards from.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Serie A is the best league for giving up and coming coaches shots at the big jobs. I think Allegri had some success at Cagliari before he went to Juventus first time. Pioli been a journeyman coach for years before finding success late in the day at AC Milan. Inter gave Gaspierini a shot but it didn't work so he found success at Atalanta instead. Think Roma made the SFs of CL in 2018 with Eusebio Di Francesco etc...Simeone Inzaghi hadn't managed anyone when Lazio gave him the job, Sarri was also picked up by them after doing well at Empoli.

If De Zerbi is overlooked for one of the CL favourites he'll just go back to Serie A I imagine. Juventus are playing terribly again so they badly need a refresh.

Can a Series A side afford the £10m buyout Brighton have quoted Liverpool?

Brighton are 9th, Wolves, Fulham, Chelsea, and Bournemouth are all within touching distance of them 🤭 take away the first six games and they've had a very average season, Dyche getting dissed, but over the last twenty-three games Everton and Brighton have taken the exact same amount of points

Edited by useless

Is their side that much better than say Fulham or Wolves?

Their midfield this season basically been Gilmour, Gross, Milner, Lallana and Dahoud who didn't settle. Hinshelwood played as a CM v us in the 6-1 and was out of his depth, found more success at full back. Losing Solly March for the season in October was huge aswell.

Would take the Wolves and Fulham options over that.

Everything about Brighton gets overhyped, their managers, players, scouting system, relative to reality they're actually doing okay, but relative to hype it just doesn't calculate. They're very good at marketing themselves, that's their real secret, it benefits them financially, only real downside is that it can create unrealistic expectations which can lead to harsh criticisms if those expectations aren't met

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

Chelsea or Newcastle probably the more the level of club that would go for De Zerbi rather than Liverpool or Manchester United, the only thing that might give him a slight chance of getting United job is if Ashworth goes there, considering it was probably he who put him on Brighton's radar in the first place, same reason why Potter might have a chance of United job, despite failing miserably at Chelsea

57 minutes ago, useless said:

Chelsea or Newcastle probably the more the level of club that would go for De Zerbi rather than Liverpool or Manchester United, the only thing that might give him a slight chance of getting United job is if Ashworth goes there, considering it was probably he who put him on Brighton's radar in the first place, same reason why Potter might have a chance of United job, despite failing miserably at Chelsea

I think Ash worth wants him. But again, like Liverpool, Brighton have told them it'll take £10m to get him out of his contract. I know we paid £6m for the Don but his record speaks for itself. I don't de Zerbi is worth that but then Brighton are inflating it as they know they're a feeder club.

His heart has fallen out of it at Brighton this season after the big sales last summer but make no mistake he’d be a great appointment for either Newcastle, Chelsea, Man Utd or Liverpool. 

7 hours ago, useless said:

Everything about Brighton gets overhyped, their managers, players, scouting system, relative to reality they're actually doing okay, but relative to hype it just doesn't calculate. They're very good at marketing themselves, that's their real secret, it benefits them financially, only real downside is that it can create unrealistic expectations which can lead to harsh criticisms if those expectations aren't met

That's because they should be nowhere near the Premier League, let alone regularly in the top half.

As I said previously, it's insane that we've become numb to these "small" sides doing so well.

Â