The_Steve

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He has won just one league title while being involved in one of the highest manager transfers ever. The argument could be aimed at him as well as RDZ for me

One league title, 3 cups (1 with Braga, 2 with Sporting), 4 cup finals in a row, reached the EL QF by knocking out Arsenal, on course to win the league this season.  Apparently also the fastest manager to reach 50 Portuguese league wins.

Sporting aren't exactly a minnow in Portugal, but very much the 3rd biggest team.  He's doing a very good job there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Certainly limping to the end of the season now. I thought they'd pick up again after exiting Europa but hasn't happened.

Their transfer strategy is rightly lauded but I think last few months have shown the drawbacks of it. If I'm right they replaced Caciedo and Alexis Mac with Dahoud (clearly didn't settle and now back in Bundesliga), Baleba (promising but just a kid) and Lallana?!!!! Milner would probably be playing central midfield if he was fit currently. Gilmour was doing o.k but that's a real downgrade in a key part of the pitch and why De Zerbi is moaning so much so a little chink and we'll see what they do in the next window as the spark has gone from their play big time and this is how teams slowly fall back down the premier league.

26 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Certainly limping to the end of the season now. I thought they'd pick up again after exiting Europa but hasn't happened.

Their transfer strategy is rightly lauded but I think last few months have shown the drawbacks of it. If I'm right they replaced Caciedo and Alexis Mac with Dahoud (clearly didn't settle and now back in Bundesliga), Baleba (promising but just a kid) and Lallana?!!!! Milner would probably be playing central midfield if he was fit currently. Gilmour was doing o.k but that's a real downgrade in a key part of the pitch and why De Zerbi is moaning so much so a little chink and we'll see what they do in the next window as the spark has gone from their play big time and this is how teams slowly fall back down the premier league.

You can only keep the conveyor belt running flawlessly for so long. It was bound to happen at some point. They had a good run though. Played against the likes of Ajax and Roma in Europe too, who'd have thought this when we were both slugging it out under Hughton and Bruce not so long ago?

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

You can only keep the conveyor belt running flawlessly for so long. It was bound to happen at some point. They had a good run though. Played against the likes of Ajax and Roma in Europe too, who'd have thought this when we were both slugging it out under Hughton and Bruce not so long ago?

eventually you'll buy nzogbia...

but the bigger problem based on what the commentators were saying last night seems to be that the next wave of youngsters aren't playing that much, barco who was an exciting signing in January made his first start (and didn't look ready) the young belgian keeper has only played 50% of the games, encisco has 3 starts, ferguson has 15 starts, baleba 13 starts - there's every danger they will be good players but they arent there yet

not sure if they're doing a bit of a wolves where they dropped off slightly because they bought players who were young prospects but ultimately a little too young and needed time

or maybe  looking at the team you could even say none of them are really playing every week in a settled team, they have 5 players with 20+ league starts - we have 10 (and bailey on 19)

after all that i still think they just need a goalscorer, welbeck being their starting striker is a problem they need to fix

Ansu Fati has flopped aswell, came in with huge expectations and think he's started about five games.

One of those seasons though where if Man. United, Newcastle and Chelsea all moan they've dropped down the league due to having ten injuries then Brighton will certainly drop down the league having ten injuries.

13 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Ouch

They've never recovered from the battering we gave them.  5 wins in 6 before we beat them, 6 wins in 27 after.  Yet i'm told RDZ is an elite manager. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

after all that i still think they just need a goalscorer, welbeck being their starting striker is a problem they need to fix

Joao Pedro is presumably meant to be that player?  He's done relatively well this season (from memory), but is still young and improving etc.

17 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Yet i'm told RDZ is an elite manager. 🤷‍♂️

Who told you this? :D 

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Who told you this? :D 

The media, linking him with Liverpool, United, Bayern, Barca jobs etc.

Edited by duke313

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Joao Pedro is presumably meant to be that player?  He's done relatively well this season (from memory), but is still young and improving etc.

Not seen enough of him to be honest but I thought he was more of one of these goalscoring wide men rather than a proper number 9

They need Ferguson to come good

Just now, duke313 said:

That doesn't equate to someone being an elite manager - it's just where the links are being made.  Is Arne Slot an elite manager?  No.  But he might be well suited to Liverpool.

Just now, duke313 said:

His agent linking him with those jobs to keep them dropping off quiet 😉

But that said for as good as Brighton have been and for how much climbing they've done are they really in a position where a drop off to say 10th this season is something to sharpen the pitch forks over? 

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

But that said for as good as Brighton have been and for how much climbing they've done are they really in a position where a drop off to say 10th this season is something to sharpen the pitch forks over? 

No, but football is ridiculous.

We could easily finish 8th or something next season and not get to a quarter final in any competition - it's just how football is when you're not the absolute elite.  If that happened, pitch forks shouldn't be out for Emery either.

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

That doesn't equate to someone being an elite manager - it's just where the links are being made.  Is Arne Slot an elite manager?  No.  But he might be well suited to Liverpool.

The media hasn't linked Slot with a load of top jobs though, that's just who Liverpool want.

None of these teams are actually interested in RDZ, but his name is constantly thrown in the hat. for every big job going.

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

The media hasn't linked Slot with a load of top jobs though, that's just who Liverpool want.

None of these teams are actually interested in RDZ, but his name is constantly thrown in the hat. for every big job going.

Slot has been linked to Chelsea, Spurs and also Barcelona in recent times

They've had their fair share of injuries too.

Enciso was out for ages, only just back. Started his 3rd game of the season. 

Mitoma and March have been out a while now. March has played 7 games this season. 

Webster has played 9 games. 

Estupinan was out for a while too.

All of these players are key players who would start most games if fit.

There's just no consistency for them, only three players have started over 20 games.  Partly De Zerbi's fault too as he likes to rotate even without injuries, but some of the replacements just aren't good enough. 

• Like 1

On 07/09/2023 at 18:41, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Just another Brighton transfer which looks like being very shrewd. 18 year old striker Mark O'Mahoney was signed from Cork City for £50,000, he is banging them in for there u21s in the PL2 this season. I can see him stepping up in time.

IMG_20230907_184002.thumb.jpg.b3663dd617420998b3a2ff3eedde6f76.jpg

We really need to do more League of Ireland shopping.

Makes his first PL start today, not bad for business for £50,000.

Â