Energy Bills

Genie

8 hours ago, Genie said:

Middle of the night would be ok for charging the car as I guess it could be done on a timer. 

I saw someone's car charging point the other day had an off peak button. So I presume you can plug the car in and it automatically only charges when the rate is low?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

I saw someone's car charging point the other day had an off peak button. So I presume you can plug the car in and it automatically only charges when the rate is low?

Ohme make EV chargers/cables that can be programmed for your tariff and switch on and off automatically when the off-peak rate kicks in. Most home EV chargers have some smart functionality that let you set a charging schedule from an app.

• Like 1

Nobody is going to notice the 5p per litre reduction anyway as the costs vary so much from pump to pump.

I expect the forecourts will probably keep the same prices and just pocket the 5p anyway.

18 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Ohme make EV chargers/cables that can be programmed for your tariff and switch on and off automatically when the off-peak rate kicks in. Most home EV chargers have some smart functionality that let you set a charging schedule from an app.

My plug-in hybrid Rav4 I can set the time I want it to charge

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Nobody is going to notice the 5p per litre reduction anyway as the costs vary so much from pump to pump.

I expect the forecourts will probably keep the same prices and just pocket the 5p anyway.

A couple by me dropped by 10p overnight.

5 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

A couple by me dropped by 10p overnight.

The prices are all over the place round here,  some have even gone up after the 5p cut was announced.   Considering 2 years ago it was around 1 pound a  litre cuz nobody was using it,  the current prices are an absolute killer. 

@bickster has mentioned this but I saw it first hand, near where he lives there are 2 or even 3 garages along the main road and the disparity is ridiculous. You have the relatively low prices of Tesco but then the EG garage was last week at 181.9. There is really a very short distance to go. Not sure why you would use them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

@bickster has mentioned this but I saw it first hand, near where he lives there are 2 or even 3 garages along the main road and the disparity is ridiculous. You have the relatively low prices of Tesco but then the EG garage was last week at 181.9. There is really a very short distance to go. Not sure why you would use them. 

Pretty much as you posted that I was in the far South side of Liverpool

Asda £1:70.8

Shell £1:76.9 (400 meters apart)

Shell £1:82.9 (A further mile down the road)

55p a gallon difference in a mile and a quarter and two of the garages are the same brand (The cheaper one is a Shell garage owned by Shell, the expensive one, I suspect not)

• Like 1

On 24/03/2022 at 20:07, AlwaysAVFC said:

tenor.gif

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

tenor.gif

Yeah, but low rate tariffs at night are counterbalanced by daytime charges being very expensive. We looked at it for our electric car and to be honest, with the small number of miles we do, it doesn't really pay off. Especially as I work from home so am in all day.

Maybe with increased energy charges it might, but then if the relative difference between peak and off peak stays as it is it still probably wouldn't really be worth it.

Swapped my tariff to British gas October 2021, not received a bill yet, an I'm hardly gonna chase, but you just wait for them demanding £1500 straight up when the bill finally comes in. Just proves they are not interested in helping people. How do they even know I'm gonna be able to afford it.

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Swapped my tariff to British gas October 2021, not received a bill yet, an I'm hardly gonna chase, but you just wait for them demanding £1500 straight up when the bill finally comes in. Just proves they are not interested in helping people. How do they even know I'm gonna be able to afford it.

If you’re on a variable tariff, take/provide meter readings end March, cus all the prices are going up, I think, unless you’ve got a working smart meter, then you should be good.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

If you’re on a variable tariff, take/provide meter readings end March, cus all the prices are going up, I think, unless you’ve got a working smart meter, then you should be 

Luckily I went fixed for 2 years when everyone was telling us not too. Worked out pretty well.

Went online and checked, £350.00 gas and leccy Oct to Feb. Seems a bit cheap, how right that is I'm not sure.

• Like 1

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Luckily I went fixed for 2 years when everyone was telling us not too. Worked out pretty well.

Went online and checked, £350.00 gas and leccy Oct to Feb. Seems a bit cheap, how right that is I'm not sure.

I’m convinced they gifted me £450 for some reason, there’s a random credit I have no idea why. It’s not the balance from my previous supplier as that was only £55 and has also been applied.

• Like 2

Today was a bad day to realise my electricity meter isn't moving at all and from my history, it looks like it hasn't moved for some time - maybe eighteen months.

Bills have been based on estimates for a while, but I last submitted a reading last September and I guess they've estimated off that - the problem being I also sent two or three other readings that year and they're exactly the same. 

I got switched to Ovo from SSE a few months ago and I don't think SSE had the facility to see your reading history, so it's the first time I've been able to see that the readings I've been sending through have been for the exact same numbers the last three or four times I've submitted them.

I have about zero chance of getting through to them today.

This sounds expensive.

20 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Today was a bad day to realise my electricity meter isn't moving at all and from my history, it looks like it hasn't moved for some time - maybe eighteen months.

Bills have been based on estimates for a while, but I last submitted a reading last September and I guess they've estimated off that - the problem being I also sent two or three other readings that year and they're exactly the same. 

I got switched to Ovo from SSE a few months ago and I don't think SSE had the facility to see your reading history, so it's the first time I've been able to see that the readings I've been sending through have been for the exact same numbers the last three or four times I've submitted them.

I have about zero chance of getting through to them today.

This sounds expensive.

I'm no expert, but if the meter is broken, it's on them. Unless they can prove your actual usage is a particular amount, I'd suggest the worst they could do would be an estimate that you could dispute, and the better outcome would be that they can't bill you for energy they can't prove you have used?

Also when you moved from OVO to SSE, both energy companies surely accepted the final meter reading as valid. so any bill from SSE could only be based around usage from a starting point of that reading. I reckon you could be quids in, hopefully - particularly as you weren't at home for a long time, due to covid and stuff, amirite? 

edit - see this forum, with a reply from an energy company bod amongst the info - it looks promising?

edit 2 Ofgem

You can’t be charged for gas or electricity used more than 12 months ago if you have not been correctly billed for it, or informed about it via a statement of account, before. This includes situations where a supplier increases your Direct Debit because it was set too low. Suppliers cannot use this to recover any shortfall for a period longer than 12 months ago.

Suppliers must make these terms clear in their contract terms and conditions.

The rules apply to household and small business energy customers.

They may not apply if you have behaved obstructively or unreasonably, preventing accurate billing. This could include:

blocking meter readings at your property on more than one occasion

stealing gas or electricity.

If you get a back bill

Contact your supplier if you get a bill for energy usage that’s for more than a year ago.

Explain that you understand you are protected by the back-billing rules. You should only be charged for any unpaid consumption during the last 12 months if you have not had an accurate bill for this consumption before.

To help, use this Citizens Advice back billing example letter.

Make a complaint if your supplier continues to ask for the full amount.

I read something yonks ago in an old fashioned Newspaper of someone who moved into a new dwelling that didn't have a meter, I think it was a big house converted into new flats or something, and they had to pay nothing, as it wasn't their fault the energy companies had got confused and failed to install a meter at all in that flat.

• Like 3

Â