Energy Bills

Genie

7 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Received my first BG bill today, for 70 days worth of gas/elec.

£370.. ouch!

I've been trying to get them to fix my bill and pay monthly, but can't get anywhere.

I've also been in touch with them & Ofgem regarding my £170 credit from people's energy, but haven't got anywhere.. 

I **** hate BG.

There's no point chasing them about the PE credit, final bills haven't yet been generated for PE, so BG can't do anything about it. This is something that's just going to be processed for all customers at once, so you're wasting your time chasing it. It'll take a while but you'll get the money.

What's the issue with the bill and how long has it been going on for?

• Thanks 1

On 29/12/2021 at 13:55, sidcow said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with their aims and message. It's how they're going about it which is wrong. 

Was on the news this morning that there was a £4.5m police bill for policing their activities which I guess could pay for a lot of insulation and god only knows how many completely unnecessary tons of Co2 have been pumped into the atmosphere by their road blocks. 

Makes it kind of difficult to warm (excuse the pun) to an organisation who's aims I am completely aligned with. 

£4.5m is a lot of money, but at the national  govt level it’s absolutely **** all. Whatever you think about Insulate Britain, the cost of policing their protests was a very minor inconvenience to the taxpayer. A couple of pence per person.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

There's no point chasing them about the PE credit, final bills haven't yet been generated for PE, so BG can't do anything about it. This is something that's just going to be processed for all customers at once, so you're wasting your time chasing it. It'll take a while but you'll get the money.

What's the issue with the bill and how long has it been going on for?

On an email I had with people's energy (fwiw), they said 3 months tops getting your credits/debits transferred, so I went with that date.

Ta for the info.

The problem with the bill is by how much it's gone up! :lol:

I also requested to pay monthly, but they have set me up for quarterly... Customer service is pants.

16 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

On an email I had with people's energy (fwiw), they said 3 months tops getting your credits/debits transferred, so I went with that date.

Ta for the info.

The problem with the bill is by how much it's gone up! :lol:

I also requested to pay monthly, but they have set me up for quarterly... Customer service is pants.

My first bill from BG was about £160 for about 45 days which wasn’t as bad as I feared (although hadn’t used heating much in that period)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm over the moon that the wife and I invested in solar panels four years ago. Energy is a commodity which will only keep rising as there's no real regulation of the industry. I'm currently saving for an upgraded package so I can make even more power on my own roof and I'd recommend anyone who can to do the same. I'm aiming to get a power wall sometime in the next two years which will essentially fill up from the grid when costs are low and power our house through periods of high prices, so that the solar can supply the market when I get a good return from it.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Genie said:

British Gas chief suggesting high bills will be around for 18-24 months. There’s nothing to suggest they’ll come down any time soon.

The usual method of reducing demand for the wicked things of life, is through increased prices, and as we are told that using anything but the absolute minimum amount of energy amounts to an assault on the planet, it is hard to see where the incentive for lowering prices will come from. No doubt trivial reductions will be greeted with great fanfare by the news media but high prices seem certain to remain.

It may prove to be a fatal blow to manufacturing but China is ready and waiting to fill that role.

The government has already implemented laws for them to switch off electric vehicle charging points, so they seem to be already anticipating rationing or brown-outs.

On 29/12/2021 at 18:11, blandy said:

I don't think they raised the profile of the issue. I think they just got themselves a name and coverage for blocking roads and stuff, with next to no coverage of why they were doing it or what they wanted, exactly.

Like @sidcowI'm completely aligned with insulating people's homes (better), but they really just messed up the whole message/protest thing. I mean they tried, which was commendable in many ways, but they garnered basically no support from people they need to persuade of their message.

I didn't even know their message was about insulating your house!  I assumed it was something about cars being bad for the environment and that's why they were blocking the roads.

On a side note, i actually want to insulate my house because it's always freezing, but have no idea where to start. Any ideas?  (That question is to anyone, not Blandy).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

i actually want to insulate my house because it's always freezing, but have no idea where to start. Any ideas?  (That question is to anyone, not Blandy).

Well, I won't answer then 😝

Oh, OK. I will

https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/energy-at-home/reducing-home-heat-loss/

There are many simple yet effective ways to insulate your home, which can significantly reduce heat loss while lowering your heating bills.

Even little fixes around the home can mount up to significant savings in your energy bills. For example, fitting your hot water cylinder with an insulating jacket will save you £20 a year in heating costs and 110kg of carbon dioxide emissions.

Whether you are looking for quick wins around your home or a professional to install insulation, the suggestions below will help maintain a constant temperature in your home...[read article for more]

and

https://energysavingtrust.org.uk/energy-at-home/financial-support/

Different grants are available in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Choose your nation to find out more about how to access support where you live.

and

https://www.simpleenergyadvice.org.uk

Telling us your postcode will allow us to show you relevant local grants that you might be eligible for.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Thanks for those links.  I’m not so worried about the cost of fixing the house, I just want it to stay warm without having to have the heating on 24/7 all winter. 

The kitchen is especially freezing, and I can’t really work out why.

Who do I call to investigate?

I don’t know if the the British Gas app is just useless but it says I’ve used nothing since starting using them 3 months ago but they’ve been taking the £129 each month but the app says I’m £387 in credit. I’m hoping they have the usage themselves and just haven’t linked up my account with the details on the app. No idea what’s going on. 

Edited by Ingram85

8 hours ago, magnkarl said:

I'm over the moon that the wife and I invested in solar panels four years ago. Energy is a commodity which will only keep rising as there's no real regulation of the industry. I'm currently saving for an upgraded package so I can make even more power on my own roof and I'd recommend anyone who can to do the same. I'm aiming to get a power wall sometime in the next two years which will essentially fill up from the grid when costs are low and power our house through periods of high prices, so that the solar can supply the market when I get a good return from it.

I think in the long term energy is going to get cheaper because the marginal cost of energy from renewables is so much cheaper than other sources, but I agree that getting a battery is a great idea.

We’ve got solar on the roof at our new house but no battery, unfortunately. But even without solar being able to fill up at night saves a huge amount of money. I think the battery pays for itself on that alone in 4-5 years, right?

4 hours ago, ender4 said:

Thanks for those links.  I’m not so worried about the cost of fixing the house, I just want it to stay warm without having to have the heating on 24/7 all winter. 

The kitchen is especially freezing, and I can’t really work out why.

Who do I call to investigate?

Sorry if this is patronising, I don’t mean it to be, but those links pretty much summarise, if you follow them through, what is feasible, in terms of your question.

• Thanks 1

About 6 or 7 years ago we were getting knocks on the door every other week asking us if we wanted cavity wall insulation. 

We did get it done in the end, for “free” via one of the government schemes.

13 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

I think in the long term energy is going to get cheaper because the marginal cost of energy from renewables is so much cheaper than other sources, but I agree that getting a battery is a great idea.

We’ve got solar on the roof at our new house but no battery, unfortunately. But even without solar being able to fill up at night saves a huge amount of money. I think the battery pays for itself on that alone in 4-5 years, right?

Yeah, I've seen calculations ranging from 4-7 years, depending on prices and day-night differences. Well worth it in my opinion. 

When Peoples Energy went under I stopped my DD just to avoid the money vanishing. I was gonna just pay manually when it caught up.
When British Gas finally got up and running they sent me a bill with a start date a couple of months PE went under. I’ve been expecting a final bill from PE for that couple / three month period where I wasn’t paying anything. I was braced for somewhere between £250 and £400.

They just sent me the final bill, and it’s £55 in credit 🤔 God only knows what’s going on… but I’ll take it. 

Edit: actually it does look like I’m vulnerable for another bill.

I left PE on the 19th September but my first bill from BG starts on the 4th November. I assume at some point they’ll figure it out and ask me for money.

Edited by Genie

I badly want solar panels but they really need to go on the front of the house. 

Not ideal but the main problem is the roof is really going to need replacing imminently. 

I'm seriously thinking of having a loft conversion because surely the cost of a new roof alone v new roof and loft conversion is reasonably cost effective? 

Then installing Solar panels whilst the scaffolding etc is up is surely cheaper?

Definitely get a power wall and a home office in the now spare room. Jobs a good un.

As said earlier I just don't see power ever coming right down again so previous payback times are now obsolete even before you consider solar panels are more and more efficient each year. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/01/2022 at 18:47, Ingram85 said:

I don’t know if the the British Gas app is just useless but it says I’ve used nothing since starting using them 3 months ago but they’ve been taking the £129 each month but the app says I’m £387 in credit. I’m hoping they have the usage themselves and just haven’t linked up my account with the details on the app. No idea what’s going on. 

The app is absolutely useless. I type in my metres readings (day and night) and it says always "are you sure that seems a little high" and this was happening in the summer when i didnt even have the heating on. I hate British gas i cant wait to leave them. Trying to get a hold of anyone as well is a absolute nightmare.  Terrible custoner service.

Has anyoneever used one of thos companies that automically switch you to best tariff? 

Â