Energy Bills

Genie

These energy prices are going to hike beyond what many can afford. The wholesale price for next calendar year is now quadruple the normal cost. When this hit the headlines in September the 2022 value was roughly double the norm, and the hope was that it was a short lived thing, but now it looks to be more sustained.

On 13/12/2021 at 20:01, Xela said:

Haven't needed to fill up for a couple of weeks... but got to go tomorrow. Will check. Was 161.9p for V-Power petrol last time, which had stayed the same for a few weeks. I'm hoping it may have gone down a bit. 

Still 161.9 at my usual place. No reduction, which is a bit shit. 

I felt like shop-lifting a Yorkie bar in protest*

*I didn't.

4 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I am sure boomers will welcome the return of high energy prices, so the younger generation will get to experience the tyranny which they enjoyed in their youth, as regards the anxiety about the household electricity bill, and the polar conditions which resulted from the obsession with the need to economise.

It seems certain that it won't be long before Millennials reinstitute the family tribunals which used to investigate the heinous crime of leaving the landing light on.

Every child will be told, that for every landing light left on, another Pacific islander drowns.

I have turned into my Dad constantly turning things off and telling off the kids for leaving stuff on.  Especially the heated/illuminated bathroom mirror.  Talk about first world problems😁

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I have turned into my Dad constantly turning things off and telling off the kids for leaving stuff on.  Especially the heated/illuminated bathroom mirror.  Talk about first world problems😁

I walk around the house frequently muttering the dad motto and turning things off. Like Blackpool bloody illuminations in here. I have a hive system with a few plugs on timers so that combats a lot of issues, just not lights being on. 

• Like 1

Mrs still continues to use the Nest thermostat like a on and off switch, which drives me insane. problem is it learns when to switch on and off and at what temperature, but Mrs works nights so when she wakes up its off, so she manually always turns it on. Grrrrrr!

Just had my first bill from British Gas after I was transferred to them as supplier of last resort after PFP went under in September. They put me on their price promise April 2022 tariff which I think matches the capped price.  Electricity has gone from 11.5p per kwh to 19.6p per kwh so a 70% increase in cost and gas from 2.7p per kwh to 3.85 per kwh so a 40% increase. I don't know if I was just on an exceptionally good deal before but that is some increase. 

2 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Just had my first bill from British Gas after I was transferred to them as supplier of last resort after PFP went under in September. They put me on their price promise April 2022 tariff which I think matches the capped price.  Electricity has gone from 11.5p per kwh to 19.6p per kwh so a 70% increase in cost and gas from 2.7p per kwh to 3.85 per kwh so a 40% increase. I don't know if I was just on an exceptionally good deal before but that is some increase. 

They sent me a message the other day to say that I needed to give them meter readings. When I went into the app there was no gas account, and electricity said it was up to date.

I’m really nervous they are going to dream up some massive debt that I’ll have to fight over for months.

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

They sent me a message the other day to say that I needed to give them meter readings. When I went into the app there was no gas account, and electricity said it was up to date.

I’m really nervous they are going to dream up some massive debt that I’ll have to fight over for months.

It has been pretty shambolic. I have been giving them readings every month since September.  They never email me to remind me though. Today was first day they have generated a bill although again no notification from them I was just checking online. They have me down as a cash/cheque customer (seems to be what they did with everyone) so I am paying quarterly and they have never offered a direct debit. I read somewhere if they do offer to let me set up DD to refuse as it means they can take you off the fixed price April 2022 tariff, as you have changed your terms and conditions, and put you on a more expensive tariff. 

Given my bill has already gone up by 70% for electric and 40% gas and is likely to go up again once this cap ends in April I reckon I will be paying at least twice what I was in September with PFP come next April. I really feel for people who are living hand to mouth as there is no way you could cope with energy price increases like this if you are.

Edited by markavfc40

I've now been offered a fix from E.on for 18 months. 

Not sure what to do, conses seems to be prices will increase again in March, but what about beyond that?  Will we see a return to more normal pricing? 

They say the fix will cost more than my current unfixed price so I might not end up saving all that much over the March pricing and end up way over Winter 2022 prices. 

Conundrum. 

4 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

It has been pretty shambolic. I have been giving them readings every month since September.  They never email me to remind me though. Today was first day they have generated a bill although again no notification from them I was just checking online. They have me down as a cash/cheque customer so I am paying quarterly and they have never offered a direct debit. I read somewhere if they do offer to let me set up DD to refuse as it means they can take you off the fixed price April 2022 tariff, as you have changed your terms and conditions, and put you on a more expensive tariff. 

Given my bill has already gone up by 70% for electric and 40% gas and is likely to go up again once this cap ends in April I reckon I will be paying at least twice what I was in September with PFP come next April. I really feel for people who are living hand to mouth as there is no way you could cope with energy price increases like this if you are.

I had a similar farce with DD. I set one up ages ago on live chat then got a notification a few days later it had been cancelled, at my request. Very odd. 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I had a similar farce with DD. I set one up ages ago on live chat then got a notification a few days later it had been cancelled, at my request. Very odd. 

I think they put on all the SOLR customers they have taken on as cash/cheque customers/quarterly billed. I don't know why as I have never paid like that with anyone else. I think it may be because they can then offer you a direct debit and it changes your original T&C and they can then change your rate. It is costing them money putting customers on the April 2022 tariff but they have to so they don't exceed the price cap. 

Just now, markavfc40 said:

I think they put on all the SOLR customers they have taken on as cash/cheque customers/quarterly billed. I don't know why as I have never paid like that with anyone else. I think it may be because they can then offer you a direct debit and it changes your original T&C and they can then change your rate. It is costing them money putting customers on the April 2022 tariff but they have to so they don't exceed the price cap. 

I just tried to give them some meter readings.

Electricity is nowhere to be seen. When I update gas and press submit it “sorry there’s been an error and your reading has not been saved”.

Absolutely useless.

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I just tried to give them some meter readings.

Electricity is nowhere to be seen. When I update gas and press submit it “sorry there’s been an error and your reading has not been saved”.

Absolutely useless.

Who did you get transferred over from and when? are you using the app? if so have you tried logging on through the website? I do mine through the website and they accept my readings and have now generated my first bill.

10 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Who did you get transferred over from and when? are you using the app? if so have you tried logging on through the website? I do mine through the website and they accept my readings and have now generated my first bill.

I transferred from the Peoples energy right at the beginning, they were one of the first to go pop. 
I actually just did what you suggested, my gas reading went though and it said my account was £108 in debit, which seems much too low for 4/5 months of energy (but I won’t complain!). 
I’ll leave it a few days and see if it updates again. If not I’ll submit a payment. They’ve sent me no bills and ask not asked me for any money yet.

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

I transferred from the Peoples energy right at the beginning, they were one of the first to go pop. 
I actually just did what you suggested, my gas reading went though and it said my account was £108 in debit, which seems much too low for 4/5 months of energy (but I won’t complain!). 
I’ll leave it a few days and see if it updates again. If not I’ll submit a payment. They’ve sent me no bills and ask not asked me for any money yet.

It depends what first reading they have gone off/what date. My supplier PFP went under in mid September but BG have only generated a bill from readings I first gave them in early October. What happens with that 3 week period between mid Sep and early Oct I don't know. I was in a fair bit of credit with PFP when they went bust and am still waiting for that back. Apparently it will go into my BG account but it has already been 3 months. 

Edited by markavfc40

Woo hoo, they dropped the price of fuel in all four petrol stations by us. Three of them went from 155.9 to 154.9 The Tesco actually dropped to 146.9 (a 4p drop)

Yep I just went to Tesco, **** 'em

I can get it for 143.9 in a petrol station close to the city and do if I'm going that way but I rarely am

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

It depends what first reading they have gone off/what date. My supplier PFP went under in mid September but BG have only generated a bill from readings I first gave them in early October. What happens with that 3 week period between mid Sep and early Oct I don't know. I was in a fair bit of credit with PFP when they went bust and am still waiting for that back. Apparently it will go into my BG account but it has already been 3 months. 

I never gave Bgas my meter readings, was guessing they can take it off my smart meter. Been 2 months since I joined, like you, hope they don't screw me with a random bill. I went on some tariff and worked out about another £170 a year which I can live with I guess, though I'm sure it will be more.

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I never gave Bgas my meter readings, was guessing they can take it off my smart meter. Been 2 months since I joined, like you, hope they don't screw me with a random bill. I went on some tariff and worked out about another £170 a year which I can live with I guess, though I'm sure it will be more.

I worked it out about £40 a month more

Â