Energy Bills

Genie

4 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

BG compared to rate I was on with PFP has gone up by 70% electric and 40% for gas. 

Luckily it’s been a mild November and December so far which will keep the energy bills down a bit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Luckily it’s been a mild November and December so far which will keep the energy bills down a bit.

I'm looking at about £60 a month more and reckon come April when cap is reviewed I"ll be looking at £100 a month more than I was paying with PFP up until September. 

I can't see how people with little slack in their budgets are going to be able to cope.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

My heating didn't even come on Thursday and Friday. Absolutely unbelievable for this time of year. 

36 minutes ago, sidcow said:

My heating didn't even come on Thursday and Friday. Absolutely unbelievable for this time of year. 

I stuck it on the timer during the cold snap but now it’s warmed up again I’ve back to 1 hour boosts here and there.

21 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

What temperature do people set there hive/nest thermostats too? An how many hours a day do they expect them to come on a chilly day.

I work from home (due to COVID) and I have my Hive set to either 14/15/16 deg depending on the day and time of day. Switches on at 7.30am and off at 8.30pm. I usually wear 2-3 layers round the house. Worth noting I live on my own with my son here 3 days a week, and I make him wear a hoodie round the house. I use the boost function on the times when my GF visits and push it to 18deg.

Edited by stuart_75

3 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

I work from home (due to COVID) and I have my Hive set to either 14/15/16 deg depending on the day and time of day. Switches on at 7.30am and off at 8.30pm. I usually wear 2-3 layers round the house. Worth noting I live on my own with my son here 3 days a week, and I make him wear a hoodie round the house. I use the boost function on the times when my GF visits and push it to 18deg.

My flat never really gets below about 19-20 degrees. I put the heating on in the morning to 22 for a blast and to warm the pipes up but apart from that, its quite toasty. I also have a furry hat for emergencies. 

I’ve been in my (new build) house coming up 4 years. About 6 months ago I read something about newer housing estates all having separate water drainage systems for rainwater than sewerage and hence I shouldn’t be paying for rainwater drainage.

I raised it with South Staffs water who referred it to Severn Trent who collect this charge.

ST have been out and confirmed the charge I’ve been paying for the last 3 and 3/4 years shouldn’t apply.

Today they text to say my refund is on its way. No idea how much is, I have a sneaky suspicion they’ll try and get away with refunding for 12 months or so but time will tell.

If anyone else like me is in a new-ish house please check if you’re paying for rainwater drainage and if you should be.

• Like 2

The economic consequences of high energy prices will be interesting.

Depriving every household of £300 from their discretionary spending will surely create a knock-on effect for other sectors in the economy.

With VAT at 20% being paid on energy bills, the government will not lose out but it looks like some businesses will.

Obviously, this regressive tax will hit the poor the hardest.

19 hours ago, Genie said:

I’ve been in my (new build) house coming up 4 years. About 6 months ago I read something about newer housing estates all having separate water drainage systems for rainwater than sewerage and hence I shouldn’t be paying for rainwater drainage.

I raised it with South Staffs water who referred it to Severn Trent who collect this charge.

ST have been out and confirmed the charge I’ve been paying for the last 3 and 3/4 years shouldn’t apply.

Today they text to say my refund is on its way. No idea how much is, I have a sneaky suspicion they’ll try and get away with refunding for 12 months or so but time will tell.

If anyone else like me is in a new-ish house please check if you’re paying for rainwater drainage and if you should be.

Just been told refund is £241, sweet!

• Like 2

Price cap is currently at a record £1277 (for average household) and I have just been reading in the news that it is expected to rise above £2000 by next October. That is going to push a lot more people into the eat or heat territory. 

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I picked the perfect time to get an electric car didn't I?

It's a conspiracy and why they are raising the price of energy. Losing out at the pumps, due the number of people swapping there gas guzzler to electric vehicles.

On 18/12/2021 at 14:04, markavfc40 said:

It has been pretty shambolic. I have been giving them readings every month since September.  They never email me to remind me though. Today was first day they have generated a bill although again no notification from them I was just checking online. They have me down as a cash/cheque customer (seems to be what they did with everyone) so I am paying quarterly and they have never offered a direct debit. I read somewhere if they do offer to let me set up DD to refuse as it means they can take you off the fixed price April 2022 tariff, as you have changed your terms and conditions, and put you on a more expensive tariff. 

Given my bill has already gone up by 70% for electric and 40% gas and is likely to go up again once this cap ends in April I reckon I will be paying at least twice what I was in September with PFP come next April. I really feel for people who are living hand to mouth as there is no way you could cope with energy price increases like this if you are.

Just had an email from British Gas ref the direct debit stufd

Your transfer to British Gas is nearly complete.

We've set up your payments as quarterly cash/cheque as we haven't received the necessary information to set you up on Direct Debit. But you can set one up right now and take control of your energy payments. It's the cheapest and easiest way to pay, as you receive a Direct Debit discount

Please note: although we have set you up on cash/cheque payments, we have currently given you Direct Debit prices - if you don't set up a Direct Debit you will lose this discount and the price of your energy will be going up. If you've already set up your Direct Debit, you can ignore this email.

Â