Energy Bills

Genie

Currently on a 2yr fixed term with Octopus Energy which ends next month. From what I have read, its really not a good time to be looking at switching. Have been offered the following 12m fixed term. Any 'experts' in here that think its a reasonable deal?

Electric 

15.27p p/KwH - New 33.51p p/KwH

24.49p p/day - New 24.03p p/day

Gas

2.77p p/KwH - New 8.81p p/KwH

25.04p p/day - New 26.10p p/day

I personally think it might be the best I can get and given the uncertainty, might be wise to take this for the 12 month period?

Edited by PeterSw

7 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

Currently on a 2yr fixed term with Octopus Energy which ends next month. From what I have read, its really not a good time to be looking at switching. Have been offered the following 12m fixed term. Any 'experts' in here that think its a reasonable deal?

Electric 

Gas

I personally think it might be the best I can get and given the uncertainty, might be wise to take this for the 12 month period?

Martin Lewis said last night that nothing on the market is worth switching to.

I think those prices are much higher than current and also higher than the new April price cap and won’t see you much past October when it possibly goes up again. I wouldn’t do it personally. It’ll be cheaper to stay on a price cap / non fixed tariff.

Edited by Genie

23 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

Electric 

Gas

These are the average price cap unit rates/standing charging (they vary slightly by region). Martin Lewis posted this late last night

Average energy price cap unit rates and standing charges for those paying by direct debit.  Gas current cap (until 31 March): 26.12p a day standing charge, 4.07p per kWh. Gas new cap (from 1 April): 27.22p a day standing charge, 7.37p per kWh.  Electricity current cap (until 31 March): 24.88p a day standing charge, 20.8p per kWh. Electricity new cap (from 1 April): 45.34p a day standing charge, 28.34p per kWh.

4 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

These are the average price cap unit rates/standing charging (they vary slightly by region). Martin Lewis posted this late last night

Average energy price cap unit rates and standing charges for those paying by direct debit.  Gas current cap (until 31 March): 26.12p a day standing charge, 4.07p per kWh. Gas new cap (from 1 April): 27.22p a day standing charge, 7.37p per kWh.  Electricity current cap (until 31 March): 24.88p a day standing charge, 20.8p per kWh. Electricity new cap (from 1 April): 45.34p a day standing charge, 28.34p per kWh.

So if I opt for the fixed term above, I wont end up paying the new, higher standing charge?

5 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

So if I opt for the fixed term above, I wont end up paying the new, higher standing charge?

Yes, but you will pay 5p per kWh MORE than the cap for every unit of electricity you use. If you use more than 5 units a day then it’s a bad deal (average is 8-10 I believe).

Edited by Genie

1 minute ago, PeterSw said:

Thanks for the reply. Might be best to stick with the 'do nothing' option that has been offered and re-access in October

I think so that the right choice.

If you take the fixed deal you’ll pay massively over the price cap between now and April. Then from April to October you be definitely pay slightly over the cap.

October is an unknown, if the price cap goes up again then you might save a bit until your deal expires about 3 months later (but not enough to recoup what you’ve over paid already imo). If the price comes down you’ll be over paying some more until it expires.

Best option is stick on variable price capped tariff. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

Well on electric you have a 21p a day saving on the standing charge but your kwh charge will be 5p per kwh more. I think average use is around 8kwh of electricity a day so that 5p more works out at 40p a day less your 21p saving on standing charge would still mean you are 19p per day worse off (based on using 8kwh a day). You would have to use only 4kwh a day to be better off.

There is not much difference in your gas.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

British Gas tried it on with us recently.

Our existing tariff ends at the end of this month and BG’s ‘best priced tariff’ was an offer of a roughly 120% increase.

I’ll take my chances with the variable thanks.

Exactly what I've done with my Octopus Gas tariff that is up in March. The new fixed prices were triple the old kWh unit price. They say they give plenty notice if the variable/flexible price is about to change, so I'll ride my luck for now on that.

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Remember that crazy time when people protesting for greater insulation were put in prison, it was literally yesterday.

Gluing yourself to the highway wasn't the best way to win over Joe Public though. I do agree that more could be done though, esp to older properties.

1 minute ago, stuart_75 said:

Gluing yourself to the highway wasn't the best way to win over Joe Public though. I do agree that more could be done though, esp to older properties.

Won me over.

Imagine the impact they’d have had if they just did a leaflet drop, or a sponsored knitting session.

Sometimes, you gotta upset the people that are napping.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Remember that crazy time when people protesting for greater insulation were put in prison, it was literally yesterday.

I thought they were put in prison for contempt of court after defying the law about blocking the busiest roads in the country?

Edited by Genie

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Even people that didn’t receive it will pay it back.

Martin Lewis was talking to Rishi in his show last night. All bills will get £40 added to them over the next 5 years. So if for example someone lives at home this year and gets their own place next year, they will be paying £200 back that they didn’t receive.

It’ll be interesting to see if the energy companies get back more than they give out.

i'm amazed there isn't a bigger furor about this

all the students that will leave home for the first time having to pay back £200 they never received

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i'm amazed there isn't a bigger furor about this

all the students that will leave home for the first time having to pay back £200 they never received

I think i fall into this catergory too as im not in Band A-D.

So why the hell should i pay £200 back for getting nothing

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I think i fall into this catergory too as im not in Band A-D.

So why the hell should i pay £200 back for getting nothing

You’re mixing 2 different things Dem.

The band A-D thing is a £150 council tax “gift”. Not related to the £200 “loan” from the energy suppliers.

If you’re living in a house in tax band A-D you’ll get a £150 discount on your council tax, plus a £200 credit on your electricity bill. The £200 will be reclaimed over the next 5 years at £40 a year.

Edited by Genie
  • Thanks 1

Â