Energy Bills

Genie

5 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

It's a conspiracy and why they are raising the price of energy. Losing out at the pumps, due the number of people swapping there gas guzzler to electric vehicles.

No doubt you've done your own research on this...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Solar panels and ground source heat pumps are looking more and more attractive. 

The payback times should be plummeting shouldn't they? 

Yep, just stuck a solar panel on my campervan and I'm beginning to think the same way. The spoiler is storing the energy as batteries are either old tech and cheap or hi tech and expensive. 200ah of  lipo cost about £600 from a Ali. Once I have some decent figures from the van solar I will post the results on here. 

The best way around it all, IMO,  is insulation , I have a 1930's semi so wall wise I'm up against it but the best thing  I have done ( other than roof insulation) is insulate between my ground floor joists. Great heat saving and noise reduction. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Just had an email from British Gas ref the direct debit stufd

I"d be careful changing mate as like I said it is a change to T&C you originally signed up on and I have read they can then change your tafiff. I am on the quarterly cash/cheque and simply paid my first bill today by card online.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I"d be careful changing mate as like I said it is a change to T&C you originally signed up on and I have read they can then change your tafiff. I am on the quarterly cash/cheque and simply paid my first bill today by card online.

I haven’t done it yet, I am nervous for the reasons you mentioned. I paid my first bill manually via card on the website.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Looking a bit like we should, erm, insulate Britain.

Until it gets a bit too hot in the summer :lol:

The message before Christmas was DO NOT lock in, now the word is that prices are going to keep rising… was it bad advice?

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Looking a bit like we should, erm, insulate Britain.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with their aims and message. It's how they're going about it which is wrong. 

Was on the news this morning that there was a £4.5m police bill for policing their activities which I guess could pay for a lot of insulation and god only knows how many completely unnecessary tons of Co2 have been pumped into the atmosphere by their road blocks. 

Makes it kind of difficult to warm (excuse the pun) to an organisation who's aims I am completely aligned with. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with their aims and message. It's how they're going about it which is wrong. 

Was on the news this morning that there was a £4.5m police bill for policing their activities which I guess could pay for a lot of insulation and god only knows how many completely unnecessary tons of Co2 have been pumped into the atmosphere by their road blocks. 

Makes it kind of difficult to warm (excuse the pun) to an organisation who's aims I am completely aligned with. 

On the percentage scale, with 1 being not really, no, and 100 being oh yeah absolutely defo. How much do you believe that £4 Million would have been used insulating Britain if insulate Britain hadn’t raised the profile of the issue?

Also, anyone that believes police bills for policing things the government doesn’t like, needs to give their head a wobble.

Also, it would be such an easy win for any government to invest in reducing energy consumption, you just know it must be an ideological thing that they just won’t. They’ll invest far far more than £4.5Million investigating if some of their chums really can develop safe community nuclear generators. Because somehow, in Britain, people have been conned in to thinking nuclear is an answer. Because as we all know, it’s the promise of your mates inventing a deeply dangerous technical solution that will help us through the next 10 years reliance on Russian gas.

Far better we do that tomorrow, than roll out the rockwool and get some triple glazing today.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Also, anyone that believes police bills for policing things the government doesn’t like, needs to give their head a wobble.

Definitely, especially as they'd have been given the money from the magic money tree anyway if it was that desperately needed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

If they were to use the 4.5 million to insulate Britain, that would have been spent already on brown envelops for the Governments pals to take on the contracts, even before the work began.

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I have a dream of one day making a post on VT that isn't immediately turned into a political point scoring comment. 

tenor.gif

If you think it’s bad now, imagine what it would have been like if Corbyn had won!

• Haha 1

Just came back from Manchester, (work don't ask, have the rest of the year off they saidi!!) fuel at the services I past, £1.67 a litre for diesel, that's not far off £8.00, for a litre, that's obscene. I don't even pay for fuel, but was willing to risk it to Cannock than pay than criminal amount.

Obviously services fuel is only for the rich and desperate.

• Shocked 1

It’s another for the “can’t believe they’re getting away with it” 

Record petrol prices

Record diesel prices 

Record gas prices

Record Electricity prices

Higher taxes incoming

Interest rates rising

Inflation set to rise to north of 5 or 6%

Will we see another financial crisis like in 2008/9 where people can’t pay their bills?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

if insulate Britain hadn’t raised the profile of the issue

I don't think they raised the profile of the issue. I think they just got themselves a name and coverage for blocking roads and stuff, with next to no coverage of why they were doing it or what they wanted, exactly.

Like @sidcowI'm completely aligned with insulating people's homes (better), but they really just messed up the whole message/protest thing. I mean they tried, which was commendable in many ways, but they garnered basically no support from people they need to persuade of their message.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, blandy said:

I don't think they raised the profile of the issue. I think they just got themselves a name and coverage for blocking roads and stuff, with next to no coverage of why they were doing it or what they wanted, exactly.

Like @sidcowI'm completely aligned with insulating people's homes (better), but they really just messed up the whole message/protest thing. I mean they tried, which was commendable in many ways, but they garnered basically no support from people they need to persuade of their message.

We’re literally discussing it here.

I know this isn’t the whole of the UK, but it’s been discussed in the office, it’s been discussed with my Daily Mail reading parents. On each occasion, I’ve mentioned how it would actually be a sensible idea to insulate more and be less obsessed with driving places being our absolute priority over everything else.

We’ve discussed it here previously when I mentioned I was at the front of an M25 jam watching them being marched off to police vans. The gammons and the petrol heads will never be coaxed to saving the lives of others, they just don’t recognise the concept.

Received my first BG bill today, for 70 days worth of gas/elec.

£370.. ouch!

I've been trying to get them to fix my bill and pay monthly, but can't get anywhere.

I've also been in touch with them & Ofgem regarding my £170 credit from people's energy, but haven't got anywhere.. 

I **** hate BG.

• Sad 1

Â