January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

12 hours ago, villanwesty88 said:

Todd Cantwell was linked with us for 30-40m in the summer...he's joined Bournemouth on loan. Probably a good job we didn't splash out!

I don't think we were ever in for Cantwell. He couldn't even get in the Norwich team under Smith so Im not sure he ever rated him enough to play for Villa. 

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

Did anyone have a better January window than us?

To bring in Digne, Coutinho, Olsen and Chambers, all for a total £27m, plus a highly rated young CB in Smith, is fantastic business.

We also recouped some of it from the vast number of loans, and that's without Trezeguet leaving.

To make a profit in a season where we've signed Bailey, Buendia, Ings, Young as cover, as well as those mentioned above, is incredible.

Our squad is so much better, even when we've made a profit.

Great stuff.

I get that. The figures are great but?

Villa still haven’t addressed that piss poor midfield which was and still is the most conspicuous weakness in Villa’s team. Therefore I do not feel Villa will improve upon the projected mid table finished this term.

Will the owners be happy with that? Not so sure they will?

I just think it’s disappointing that only one major weaknesses (LB) was addressed when you consider who the new manager is.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Who will sign Targett for 20 million? I like the guy but we have plummeted his transfer value yesterday. Unless he turns into Roberto Carlos at Newcastle we be lucky to get back our 14 million 

Lets not make out targetts a shit lwft back. He isnt. Was on the verge  of a England call up last year. We paid 14m for him when wasnt as good as he is today. He for me is worth 20m.

Edited by Demitri_C

20 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I don't think we were ever in for Cantwell. He couldn't even get in the Norwich team under Smith so Im not sure he ever rated him enough to play for Villa. 

Apparently Smith was full of praise of Cantwell when he first arrived at Norwich stating that he wanted to play him as much as possible.

Then he played badly for half a match, was subbed off and hasn't been seen since, rumour to be due to unprofessional ism issues.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Lets not make out targetts a shit lwft back. He isnt. Was on the verge  of a England call up last year. We paid 14m for him when wasnt as good as he is today. He for me is worth 20m.

Was he really on the verge of an England call up? Southgate was playing right backs at left back at the time

As for Targett he is a good player but nobody is paying 20 million for him, we be luck to get the 14. 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Tbh, it's not like there's that much competition for the England left back spot. It's just Chillwell and arguably Shaw who are standouts. After that, it could be anyone.

42 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

If people think were getting anywhere near 20m for Targett in the summer i'd like to have some of what they are smoking.

Newcastle signed jamal Lewis for 15m so i dont think im smoking anything personally as targett is a lot better than him

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, striker said:

I get that. The figures are great but?

Villa still haven’t addressed that piss poor midfield which was and still is the most conspicuous weakness in Villa’s team. Therefore I do not feel Villa will improve upon the projected mid table finished this term.

Will the owners be happy with that? Not so sure they will?

I just think it’s disappointing that only one major weaknesses (LB) was addressed when you consider who the new manager is.

Our biggest weakness was our "piss poor" chance creation so far this season.  Coutinho and Digne were brought in to address that and, TBH, I don't think the front office/recruitment team could have done any better than those two this window.

Also, if a DM was truly our "most conspicuous weakness" and the biggest problem we've had for the past 4 transfer windows, why has Smith and now Gerrard failed to address it?  Maybe it's not that big of a priority as some on VillaTalk seem to think it is...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Talk about revisionism...  Targett wasn't even on Southgate's radar, which is why he kept playing Trippier at LB over Chilwell and Shaw.  

47 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I just had a thought, if we didn’t get Coutinho, we’d been in the mix for players like Lingard and Dele Alli and paid silly money for them 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886wwrwt1g2pu1m1tta98

Two players Gerrard wouldn't touch with a stick, unless he was beating them with it.

25 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

According to Villatalk

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Talk about revisionism...  Targett wasn't even on Southgate's radar, which is why he kept playing Trippier at LB over Chilwell and Shaw.  

Yeah I agree with that. I think the only place Targett was on the verge of and England call up was on here. He is a capable defender, but not sure he would be international level just yet or if he ever will be. He has quite a few players in front of him for that England shirt in my opinion. I think he just lacks a bit of quality in attack, and is possibly a little bit slow to be considered a top class left back.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I think you have misunderstood my point. Lingard had a successful spell so his price actually went up and thats why he cant get out of United

Fact is we gave Targett to Newcastle for the lowest possible value shows that buying teams in the summer wont pay the 20 million some are suggesting for him. We will be lucky to get half unless he has a brilliant loan spell

Do u think his value will increase by sitting on our bench for the rest of the season?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Lets not make out targetts a shit lwft back.

I would say he is, especially this season. Absolute rubbish.

I don't dislike the guy, wish him any ill will or anything. I just think he's a very poor player who benefitted being behind a player who had 2 or 3 players on him most matches. This meant Targett had enough time to brew up and read a paper before tracking back or joining an attack and enough space to park a oil tanker. He might get that again with Saint Maxipad.

But I'd play Young, Chrisene, Hause, Mings, Chambers, Revan or Gerrard himself at left back before playing Targett in this system.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I would say he is, especially this season. Absolute rubbish.

I don't dislike the guy, wish him any ill will or anything. I just think he's a very poor player who benefitted being behind a player who had 2 or 3 players on him most matches. This meant Targett had enough time to brew up and read a paper before tracking back or joining an attack and enough space to park a oil tanker. He might get that again with Saint Maxipad.

But I'd play Young, Chrisene, Hause, Mings, Chambers, Revan or Gerrard himself at left back before playing Targett in this system.

Probably a bit harsh, but I do agree that he benefited hugely from all the attention  Joe got playing in front of him. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I thought his contract expired in the summer.

AEG, Trez and Guilberts contracts expire in June 2023. We'll get over £15m combined for the three of them this summer. They have ~£6m left in amortisation. So we should book a £10m+ profit straight into next years accounts and save £5.6m in their salary. We should  be booking more prize money from a top 10 finish and new sponsorship deal to boot. 

Targett is worth £20mil, he'll do great at Newcastle and something like £16m + 4m add ons. Newcastle will pay that, he's a solid mid table LB in a defensive orientated back 4. He's always fit and he he was very reliable in that 4 2 3 1 system.

If we sold him for that we'd book a sizable profit. He has ~£5.25m of remaining amortisation left so we'd book an instant £10m profit + more in add ons.

We're looking at around an extra £30m boost in next years accounts from these. That's enough for two new £40mil+ signings including wages (as at end of next season we're getting rid of the loss making seasons back with promotion and escaping relegation + covid).

This is before we think of sales, like Hause, Davis, Luiz, Nakamaba, Luiz, Cash, Traore.

If we sign a new CB to compete with Mings we'll listen to offers for Hause surely. If we sign Coutinho, Chukwuemeka signs a new contract and Bailey is firing in second half of the season, we'll take offers for Traore. I can see a big summer with profit making on existing squad facilitating a step up kind of signing (2 record transfers??)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, paul514 said:

It's over now and we have what we have.

I still think we are three players from being a top side and some of those players may be in the youth team, but just look at the progress over the last 3 years!!!

I think it has been a decent window, a good finish to the season should have us higher than we were last season and in the top half. We then kick on in the summer window and really look seriously towards a top six season. We are an established mid table team now and as you say, that is marked progress from where we were.  

6 minutes ago, John said:

I think it has been a decent window, a good finish to the season should have us higher than we were last season and in the top half. We then kick on in the summer window and really look seriously towards a top six season. We are an established mid table team now and as you say, that is marked progress from where we were.  

I hope we have a good second half, I am a tiny bit doubtful as there was a bit of a drop off from Gerrard's early games after we played the big sides, having said that they showed a lot of desire and commitment vs Everton.

I'll feel a lot better about our prospects this year after the next 2 games should they go well.

60 points was my target for them this year, I think that will be difficult for them to hit now.

• Like 1

I think we're going to finish strongly. There's so much to admire in our attacking play, and that's only going to improve as players settle in, Bailey comes back and the youngsters get more exposure.
We have enough to keep it relatively tight at the back, I hope.

It's going be a fun ride in.

• Like 2