January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think on the surface the Targett thing looks strange.....but then I think, its the club caring about the player too and allowing him game time....Economics will always play its part, good housekeeping is essential.

It's clear to me they see Digne as the first choice, but didn't want to put Targetts Nose out of joint either....plus they have a player to possibly sell, (who has game time) at the seasons end.

Young is cover and will stay fit for the rest of the season, to cover, possibly learning the coaching ropes along the way, so no, hound face from him.

I didn't know enough about Bentancur to get too disappointed...they must have their reasons....we don't actually know how much we wanted him?

We just have to wait and see as we have just come through a period of tough games.

It was my impression that Targett lost his focus and form after he signed a new contract.

I suppose if Gerrard plays Young he will stick a winger in front of him, so he's not required to run too many miles

The reason I wanted Bentancur, is that I was wondering who was going to win the ball back, if Gerrard persisted with playing his more attacking formation.

Nakamba has had some decent games under Gerrard, but his form over his Villa career, has been patchy.

28 minutes ago, TRO said:

The big thing for me, now is,I trust these guys we have in charge.

Every fan will have his/her own idea of who they wanted.....thats inevitable, but there are so many variables to balance out.

I am happy, with what they have done, despite my personal preferences, which we all have.

looking forward, to just getting back to winning football matches.

You and I are in the same happy place Paul. I guess that comes from the many years that we've both supported Villa, and our familiarity with being regularly disappointed.

Nothing is ever perfect but I think we can now start to anticipate winning games with more confidence than was previously possible.

I would love to be privy to the regular conversations between Purslow, Lange and Gerrard but that's never going to happen, so I'm content to trust these guys to do a good job on behalf of us all. The indications so far is that they're up for it.

• Like 1

I was originally annoyed that we were loaning out Targett in this window, but actually it makes sense if we’re replacing him anyway. We need his value to be as high as possible so we can sell him in the summer. If he doesn’t play we won’t get much for him or we’ll end up loaning him out next season.

Saying that, if we loan him out next season now that he’s getting game time then we are not managing our players correctly.

4 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

It was my impression that Targett lost his focus and form after he signed a new contract.

I suppose if Gerrard plays Young he will stick a winger in front of him, so he's not required to run too many miles

The reason I wanted Bentancur, is that I was wondering who was going to win the ball back, if Gerrard persisted with playing his more attacking formation.

Nakamba has had some decent games under Gerrard, but his form over his Villa career, has been patchy.

Look, I am not about to end up arguing with myself.....but you are bang on " Who is going to win the ball back" is a legitimate question.

I don't know enough about Bentancur, but reading between the lines, I am not so sure that is his forte, which could make it counter productive....I think that one was a bit of a risk, and we can't risk £25 mills here and there.

I am with you totally, I too want a quality CDM.....but I am equally comfortable trusting the club, to make the right decisions.

We have been very successful lately, we can't win every deal.....on wards and up wards.

We'll go again, when the times right.

5 hours ago, striker said:

I get that. The figures are great but?

Villa still haven’t addressed that piss poor midfield which was and still is the most conspicuous weakness in Villa’s team. Therefore I do not feel Villa will improve upon the projected mid table finished this term.

Will the owners be happy with that? Not so sure they will?

I just think it’s disappointing that only one major weaknesses (LB) was addressed when you consider who the new manager is.

Piss poor? 

Bit harsh isn't it? 

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

I get that extending the contracts reduces the annual amortisation but it just pushes it to another year, it is not a financial benefit to us and it will impact future years P&L. That said it is a fairly minimal amount. It doesn't take away from the fact that our costs are Skyrocketing and we should not be looking at sales revenue as an excuse to spend more money. This is the last year we have the Championship P&L as part of our FFP, but that just means we are allowed to lose more money, which means we can spend more but it is still not healthy for a business. NSWE have stated (via Purslow) that their aim to to make the club sustainable, their aim is not to inject capital year on year. If that was their aim I would be very concerned with them as our custodians. Being sustainable means that the club is self sufficient and does not need year on year cash injections. Our transfers net spend in the last 12 months is close to sustainable and yet we are still improving our squad. This is what we need to continue to try and achieve.

Well obviously that won't go on forever. I was assuming they meant that was for 5 years as part of their stated plan. They are injecting capital to grow the club at a fast rate to get to that level where we compete. We are one of the biggest clubs in the country based on fan base and history so we have easily the potential to get towards Spurs level in terms of global brand and income as part of their plan. I imagine the 3 years from this season to the next two after it are where we'll see out accounts flattening out so our combined losses for the 3 season will be minimal (10m) if any at all. 

Any future investment in Villa Park will be treated as separate as it still is in a separate company after we sold it to another NSWE holding company if I remember correctly. No work to facilities is included in FFP calcs either anyway. I think the big game change will come when Premier League go direct to streaming and the income of the clubs sky rockets. We need to seize that moment to rebalance the money distribution more equitably. That can give us the path to kick on 

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

I was originally annoyed that we were loaning out Targett in this window, but actually it makes sense if we’re replacing him anyway. We need his value to be as high as possible so we can sell him in the summer. If he doesn’t play we won’t get much for him or we’ll end up loaning him out next season.

Saying that, if we loan him out next season now that he’s getting game time then we are not managing our players correctly.

I agree. Ashley Young looks really sharp in training clips and is adequate LB cover, so letting an unhappy player go out and play for his future is good for Targett and good for team morale as well as being cost effective. Imo Young could become an excellent coach and motivator with Villa's squad, as he transits from player to his next role in football.

2 hours ago, MentalM said:

Perspective is fun:

Everyone else: Villa clear winners of transfer window

Villa fans: Not at all happy since we didnt get a DM and loaned out Targett

Personally think the window has been very good, even if I wanted us to get a DM. Targett probably out so he can keep market value and be moved on this summer. Shame since I like the guy 

Its been an exceptionally good window. The cherry on the icing on the cake would have been a DM, but that will come. We aren't weak in the middle, just need a little extra in there. I'm sure it will be looked at in the summer. 

Fans who are unhappy with our dealings sound a bit entitled. We were nearly bankrupt a few years ago. I'm just glad we're competitive again.

24 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

You and I are in the same happy place Paul. I guess that comes from the many years that we've both supported Villa, and our familiarity with being regularly disappointed.

Nothing is ever perfect but I think we can now start to anticipate winning games with more confidence than was previously possible.

I would love to be privy to the regular conversations between Purslow, Lange and Gerrard but that's never going to happen, so I'm content to trust these guys to do a good job on behalf of us all. The indications so far is that they're up for it.

Too stressful Bri.

At one time, I was ITK having been close to a senior first team player......I can tell you now, its better not to know, it spoils the dream...I am much removed from that now, and don't have a clue, and want it to stay that way.

When you hear the Warts 'n all it can be disappointing and disheartening....I guess now is brighter times, so could be better, who knows.

We are all in the best position, trust me.

Those guys above ,have an arduous task of trying to please everyone....don't under estimate the burden.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Look, I am not about to end up arguing with myself.....but you are bang on " Who is going to win the ball back" is a legitimate question.

I don't know enough about Bentancur, but reading between the lines, I am not so sure that is his forte, which could make it counter productive....I think that one was a bit of a risk, and we can't risk £25 mills here and there.

I am with you totally, I too want a quality CDM.....but I am equally comfortable trusting the club, to make the right decisions.

We have been very successful lately, we can't win every deal.....on wards and up wards.

We'll go again, when the times right.

Of course, the failure to get Bentancur may have nothing to do with Villa's failiure of ambition, the lad might just prefer a billet in London.

I was merely expressing a preference.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If Targett has a half decent finish to the season I can see Toon paying the 20m for him. They will need a lot of transfer activity in the summer, wingers and midfield and strikers are a must for Toon plus another CB. If they stay up they will want as much continuity on the squad as possible and it would make sense to keep Targett. If they go down then Target is perfect as he has Championship experience and they would struggle to attract better quality as a Chumps club. I reckon Purslow believes the summer transfer of Targett to Toon is as good as confirmed barring serious injury and that is why I believe they accepted the loan. Toon management are not as stupid as Toon fans are and they will be wary of FFP hence a loan suited them better.

5 hours ago, KMitch said:

Our biggest weakness was our "piss poor" chance creation so far this season.  Coutinho and Digne were brought in to address that and, TBH, I don't think the front office/recruitment team could have done any better than those two this window.

Also, if a DM was truly our "most conspicuous weakness" and the biggest problem we've had for the past 4 transfer windows, why has Smith and now Gerrard failed to address it?  Maybe it's not that big of a priority as some on VillaTalk seem to think it is...

If the priority is mid to lower league position then sure.

Furthermore, Villa have been continually linked to defensive midfielders!

Edited by striker

2 minutes ago, striker said:

No considering where Villa want to go.

McGinn has been linked to teams above us

Luiz has been linked to teams above us

Ramsey has been linked to teams above us (albeit, a spurious Man City link)

That is not piss poor by any definition IMO

• Like 1

Just now, Xela said:

When was the time Villa strung a set of good results together with the current midfield?

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Martinez has been linked to top teams in Europe. Ollie linked with Arsenal, Buendia lined with Arsenal, Cash with Ath Madrid, Coutinho to Liverpool and other, Nakamba to Everton too

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

Martinez has been linked to top teams in Europe. Ollie linked with Arsenal, Buendia lined with Arsenal, Cash with Ath Madrid, Coutinho to Liverpool and other, Nakamba to Everton too

Yet Villa continue to make little headway in the Premiership after the expenditure. 

2 minutes ago, striker said:

Yet Villa continue to make little headway in the Premiership after the expenditure. 

I would disagree with that. The expenditure started when we were a Championship side with a squad full of ageing players towards the end of their contracts and loan players. We have now become a mid table PL side with no threat of relegation. That is major progress as it gives us a guaranteed circa 150m in revenue per each. What level of headway do u expect a Championship side to make over a 3 year period?