January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

1 minute ago, villabromsgrove said:

It's a scripture in the book of Timothy and is often misquoted. The text is actually "the love of money is the root of all evil".

Money is necessary, but being totally driven by the desire to possess money is detrimental to the well being of society. I think that was part of the message that the Apostle Paul was trying to get across.

Here endeth today's sermon.😀 

Thanks VB, it's a phrase I've heard mentioned all my life that can be applied to many aspects of life in general, none more so then in the world big business, which sadly football has become.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

It's a scripture in the book of Timothy and is often misquoted. The text is actually "the love of money is the root of all evil".

Money is necessary, but being totally driven by the desire to possess money is detrimental to the well being of society. I think that was part of the message that the Apostle Paul was trying to get across.

Actually the quote from Timothy is "For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil." purely in the interest of rectifying a misquote of a misquote. 😉  Worth knowing for any serious pub quiz buffs out there (although most of the time the correct answer according to the quizmaster is actually the wrong one!).

Edited by allani
  • Thanks 1

My quote is correctly quoted from my old King James Version (the first authorised bible published in 1611) which does not contain the words "all evil". I omitted the first word of the text "For" as it is just the introductory word to the verse and has no bearing on the meaning of the text. The words "kinds of" were not written by Paul but added by more modern scholars who were keen to point out that "all" did not mean every specific single act of evil worldwide in this context.  At the time of writing his epistle Paul would have applied his words to a much narrower audience.

So .... I gave you guys the original quote, unaltered by later input. Just saying, lol.

53 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

It was also in The Book of The O'Jays - For the Love of Money.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brummybloke said:

I can see the following players leaving the club in the summer to reduce the size of the squad and bring in money.

Eh ghazi 

Trez

Davies

Luiz if no new contract

Young taking his badges to be a coach

Wes won't play for us again

Fred gilbert

That brings in 60 million if luiz goes.

The likes of nakamba and hause I think we keep, wages are the lower end of the scale and attitudes are good and both accept their role at the club with good grace.

Targett is going to stay I feel and is great back up, 

Much as I like fred, I think hayden is next years right back or cover.

I would guess that saves 150k pw at least in wages

I would like to see Dougie play further forward, before I cast judgement on him leaving.....I think he is accomodating for us, in playing No 6 because we as a club have failed to deal with that role properly.....Thats not his fault.

I do think there is a player in there, but not at No6.

but why should we move him on, for playing in a role he has just sacrificed himself for.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I would like to see Dougie play further forward, before I cast judgement on him leaving.....I think he is accomodating for us, in playing No 6 because we as a club have failed to deal with that role properly.....Thats not his fault.

I do think there is a player in there, but not at No6.

but why should we move him on, for playing in a role he has just sacrificed himself for.

Agree with this completely. He's looked a lot better playing in advanced positions for us. He's no DM. 

• Thanks 1

The problem with Zakaria isn't the transfer fee. I'd be pretty confident most of the Premier League could get an offer accepted for him this month. 

The problem is he's both good enough and in the right situation to pick his next club and pretty much pick how much they'll need to pay him. As a result, he's going to go to one of the usual money bag scum clubs on obscene wages.

We could get an offer accepted, and we might even meet the wages he'll want (maybe), but there's going to be a bunch of other names that'll pay him as much, if not more, and offer the flashy lights of the CL and higher profile status and more glamorous surroundings. As such it's a non-starter IMO, unfortunately.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Offer Fenerbache Trez & £££ for Attila Szalai

other options I’d take a look at would be: Gonçalo Inácio From sporting is destined for the top. 

Others have mentioned Maxence Lacroix,  another one off the conveyor belt of young French CB’s 

Attila would be a Hause replacement to compete with Mings, we won’t sign a third left-footed CB (imo).