January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Why so serious?

Not about being serious or not serious, legit not laughing at other clubs until we see some sustained success. 

Those usual flashback on this day popped up today AVFC FB of 5-0 win away vs Leicester in 2004. They've won league and FA Cup and Charity Shield and we've won square root of feck all

P.S. and no,  the Paz Cup doesn't count

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Not about being serious or not serious, legit not laughing at other clubs until we see some sustained success. 

Those usual flashback on this day popped up today AVFC FB of 5-0 win away vs Leicester in 2004. They've won league and FA Cup and Charity Shield and we've won square root of feck all

P.S. and no,  the Paz Cup doesn't count

Well if nothing else, I can see reasons to look forwards with optimism and positivity. We will push as hard as we can to be successful, I don’t think we just talk a good game, we mean to back that up with actions. I guess we just need to be patient but I expect good things…

We won’t accept mediocrity… but are going to be sensible about how we go about our business (on and off the field).

• Like 1

It's over now and we have what we have.

I still think we are three players from being a top side and some of those players may be in the youth team, but just look at the progress over the last 3 years!!!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, paul514 said:

It's over now and we have what we have.

I still think we are three players from being a top side and some of those players may be in the youth team, but just look at the progress over the last 3 years!!!

It must have been love

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

Not a concern if the fee is right.

Pretty much.

I like Watkins and I think with the right guidance he will score 15+ league goals per season.

However that right price is north of 50m, probably 60m. That can buy a bloody talented foreign striker, far in excess of Ollies ability.

So now the window is closed I make this our strongest 11 and bench when everyone is fit:

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Digne

McGinn Nakamba Ramsey

Buendia Coutinho

Watkins

Subs: Olsen, Chambers, Young, Luiz, Sanson, Chukwuemeka, Traore, Bailey, Ings 

So all in all, a good window, probably give it 7.5/10. Positives were signing Coutinho, Digne, some decent loans for the youngsters, and a long term contract for Martinez. Negatives were not signing a top quality DM and loaning Targett to Newcastle (should have loaned to someone like Brentford instead of Newcastle or milked Newcastle for at least 20m on a perm deal). 

We have a decent squad and pretty sure we'll finish in the top 10, then hopefully sign 2-3 top quality players in summer including a DM.

I can see the logic in not spending too much in the end this window. We need to book a profit for this season for FFP. We'll then bank sales of Trez, AEG, Guilbert, Targett in summer which will give us a nice profit vs their remaining amortisations. This will mean a sizable amount to spend on new signings. CB and CDM being the two key areas we need to go and sign better than we have and again ramping up competition for places in the starting side

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

I can see the logic in not spending too much in the end this window. We need to book a profit for this season for FFP. We'll then bank sales of Trez, AEG, Guilbert, Targett in summer which will give us a nice profit vs their remaining amortisations. This will mean a sizable amount to spend on new signings. CB and CDM being the two key areas we need to go and sign better than we have and again ramping up competition for places in the starting side

Plus if previous summer windows are to go by we’ll wrap up our targets quite early in January to give them a pre season with us too. 

The club is being run very well.

16 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

So now the window is closed I make this our strongest 11 and bench when everyone is fit:

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Digne

McGinn Nakamba Ramsey

Buendia Coutinho

Watkins

Subs: Olsen, Chambers, Young, Luiz, Sanson, Chukwuemeka, Traore, Bailey, Ings 

So all in all, a good window, probably give it 7.5/10. Positives were signing Coutinho, Digne, some decent loans for the youngsters, and a long term contract for Martinez. Negatives were not signing a top quality DM and loaning Targett to Newcastle (should have loaned to someone like Brentford instead of Newcastle or milked Newcastle for at least 20m on a perm deal). 

We have a decent squad and pretty sure we'll finish in the top 10, then hopefully sign 2-3 top quality players in summer including a DM.

The strength of a bench always give you an indication of how strong a squad is and I have to say that’s a pretty impressive bench although a bit light on the defensive side. 

Still we look in the best shape we have in a very long time. 

11 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

I bet Matty Target is thinking WTF just happened, one minute I was No 1 left back and now not even wanted at the club

Yep, it just doesn’t look right seeing him in that weird stripy uniform, smiling like a weirdo. 

• Haha 1

I’m not interested in rating the window out of 10 (or 5, or whatever) but I will say that I’m happy we have strengthened. We’ve bought quality into the club and apart from some loans out, we’ve not lost any. We have the best squad we’ve had in a long time, and more than enough quality to start picking up some form as they get used to Gerrard’s instructions. I’m looking forward to the rest of the season, and hopefully beating last season’s points/placing. If we can do that with the disruption we’ve had then that will constitute success. 

• Like 1

I’m sure this has been said already but we made 4 senior transfers this window. 

Couthino is a huge upgrade on ElGhazi. Goes without saying. 
Digne is a decent upgrade on Targett. I think Matt has been solid over the last season and a half clearly SG wants more from his full backs and Digne gives him that. Let’s hope he doesn’t get injured. 
Olsen is an upgrade on Steer. It’s the sun keeper and I hope he isn’t called on but Olsen is a very good back up keeper. Jed will always be remembered as the keeper who got us promoted but I don’t think he’s premier league standard. 
Chambers and Tuanzebe are of similar standard I’d say. The difference being we’ve picked Chambers up permanently on a free and he can fill in at RB and potentially midfield. 

I think they are 4 shrewd signings and a definite upgrade in terms of quality. A really top Jan window from SG and the team. Looking forward to the rest of the season now. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Targett, aeg, trez and possibly cash sold in summer. That would generate around 60-70m i would imagine.

We would really have a big transfer budget in the summer if they went

Mate in what world are we going to get 60m for those 3? Aeg is likely gone on a free in the summer. Trez has a year to go so we’ll be lucky to get anything.

Targett if has a good end to the season I reckon we could get a decent fee for.  If he stayed with us and sat on the bench for the next 4 months like many would have preferred then we wouldnt have got much for him either.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The strength of a bench always give you an indication of how strong a squad is and I have to say that’s a pretty impressive bench although a bit light on the defensive side. 

Still we look in the best shape we have in a very long time. 

Very true. Squad is decent enough to go on a good run now and I reckon we'll finish around 9th. And it's probably true that even had we signed someone like Bissouma, we're not gonna catchup enough to get into the top 6/7 this season.

Feel we'll have a positive summer window given Purslow's comments a few weeks ago. 

• Like 1